• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CWM backing up to phone not SD

CWM saves backups to your SD card in the Samsung Galaxy SII (not to be confused with the external SD card) by default as some users may not have an external SD card inserted.

Therefore if you move the CWM backup file from the SD card then it would not be able to locate it for restore.

You could, of course, make a copy of this file to place on either your external SD card or on your PC for safe keeping.

This explains the storage set-up of the SGSII:-

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...sd-card-internal-storage-got-me-confused.html

Hope this helps. :D

Upvote 0
So, CWM is saving it to its default directory which is the actual SD card on some phones but isn't on the S2 and theres no way to tell CWM to use the actual SD card?

So, for backup purposes, everytime I back-up, I need to copy that file to my SD card/PC in-case my phone ever crashes and dies?

Can I also just check, what exactly is backed up? How is it different to say Titanium?

Upvote 0
Whilst I cannot tell you exactly what CWM backs up, I can say that I use Titanium Backup Pro to backup my whole phone to DropBox, online, just in case of the eventuality you mentioned.

Although I have to say that in all my mishaps with flashing ROM's and mod's, etc; I have never found the phones SD card to be affected as it is treated like the external SD card.

On the other hand... never say never. :D

Upvote 0
OK, thanks! So, Titanium Backup Pro will backup all my apps, data and layout and restore my phone as it is to any new Roms I try, where as CWM backs up the core OS as I understand (and maybe more). I'm actually thinking of restoring my phone to stock again and then using Titanium to put all my apps and data back.

Quick question about Titanium - after backup it seems to be rebooting the phone. Is that normal?

Upvote 0
i have a question too about titanium backup location.. when i go to preferences/backup folder location, i just see a DETECT! button, and the current folder where my backups are stored.. i cant seem to change it to another folder, for example to my external sd.

like ironass said, most problems to do with phones crashing only happens to the internal (device) memory, but just in case i want to, how do i change it? :D

rendez2kmy phone normally doesnt reboot after titanium completes. but u should have a notificaiton in the bar saying Titanium backup complete, if it successfully finished :)

Upvote 0
i have a question too about titanium backup location.. when i go to preferences/backup folder location, i just see a DETECT! button, and the current folder where my backups are stored.. i cant seem to change it to another folder, for example to my external sd.

You have to press the back button then go to your external sd. Once in your external sd create a folder, go into it and press use the current folder.

Reactions: heshanj
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones