• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CWM backup Fails on Rooted Admire 2.3.4 / 5.0.2.8

Clockworkmod 5.0.2.7 and 5.0.2.8 fails during backup of /System

Rooted Admire with Android 2.3.4 Just installed CWM Recovery 5.0.2.7 and failed backup of /system. Upgraded CWM to 5.0.2.8 same problem.

( have another identical phone with 2.3.6 and CWM 5.0.2.8 and works fine, flashed rom to 2.3.20 (New World Order) and still works OK)

Is the problem with 2.3.4 ?? Compatibility ??

Any ideas??

Newbee
Mike :thinking:

Make sure you have enough room on your SD card.
Yes, free space on sd is 6567MB (6.5 GB)

Tried running error check on SD == No Help

Is there a way to access the INTERNAL memory from PC ?? To run Disk Check on it ??

Exact error I get is " Error while making a backup image of /System"

It does generate a Backup File but the time stamp on it is incorrect ( like 7 hours in the future) and the backup in unusable -- Get "MD5 mismatch" Error when trying to restore.

Any way to run Disk Check on INTERNAL Memory ???

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Mike

Upvote 0
I'm guessing the 7 hour difference is because the time is (I believe) always represented in GMT time (5 hours diff for me here in Indy, so 7 is probably right for you in California).

Can you do this (via adb) or from an Android Terminal Emulator session:

c:\> adb shell (if you're using adb--skip to next line if using the Android Terminal Emulator app)
$ su
# cd <location of where your Nandroid backup is>
# df .

and view the value under the Free column.

Then, do this to see how big your /system filesystem is:

# cd /system
# du -s
# df .

or just do

# du -s /system
# df /system

The above might reveal if your /system filesystem (partition) is larger than your available space for your CWM Nandroid backup.

Upvote 0
Hi Scary Alien

OK for the SD card "cd /mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup"
DF . returns == Size 7G Used 1G Free 6g Blksize 4096

For system -- Your du -s command does not work. Keeps returning du: not found

but df /system returns Size 178M Used 171M Free 6M Blksize 4096

Looks like I have lots of spare room on SD Card to me.

I'm thinking maybe a locked or corrupted file in the /System files ??

Any way to check that ??

Mike

Upvote 0
Hey Mike,

Yeah, it looks like you do have enough space on your /mnt/sdcard and that your /system partition isn't too terribly large, so that info does help :thumbup:.

Next thing I'd suggest would be to look at your most recent /cache/recovery/last_log file right after you try doing the Nandroid backup. It should log any errors in that file and might tell us what is going on (I should have suggested that first):

root@hammerhead:/mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod # ls -al /cache/recovery
-rw-r--r-- root root 0 1970-01-28 16:55 last_install
-rw------- root root 5 1970-01-25 23:37 last_locale
-rw-r----- root root 164699 1970-01-28 16:55 last_log
-rw-r----- root root 165998 1970-01-28 13:07 last_log.1
-rw-r----- root root 573643 1970-01-27 13:55 last_log.2
-rw-r----- root root 6578 1970-01-25 22:41 last_log.3
root@hammerhead:/mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod #

You should be able to grab / copy that file with a rooted file explorer to your SD card and then review it and/or post it back here.

Lemme know if you have any questions re. this.

Upvote 0
Hi Scary Alien:

I ran Backup twice, once on 5/18 and again on 5/19 with the same results.

I did navigate to the Last_log file in Cache and I can see 2 potential problems. First the backup always ends on file "PicoTts.apk" which is I believe a Text to Speech app. Second, there is an I/O read error in the middle of the batch of /system files which going by my Hard Disk experience is a Really Bad Thing. These happen at different places from log to log ??? I put C/R before and after the I/O error to make them easier to locate.
So do you think I can move one or both of these files out of /system safely to see what happens ??

I am attaching two /cache/recovery/last.log files, one from 5/18 and one from 5/19 so you can look at them .( in .txt format)

Thanks a lot for spending the time to help me out. I really appreciate it and am learning a lot.

Mike

Attachments

• 5-18 last_log.txt
    11.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 5-19 last_log.txt
    11.3 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Hey Mike, thanks for the log files--those are indeed very helpful and informative!

I'm not sure that the issue is necessarily with your PicoTts.apk file since I'm guessing it's simply the last file in the list of files on your /system partition that CWM is backing up.

I'm more concerned about the "....solibjni_latinime.solibmvs.solibnetlink.sotar: read error: I/O error" portion of the text you separated-out (thank you--made it very easy to see the issue :thumbup:).

Since I don't have an Admire, I can't necessarily match-up the list of files above just prior to the "read error: I/O error" portion, but since the library files typically have .so extensions, I'm guessing that the list of files just before the error is actually (in the "5-18 last_log.txt" file):

libdevicescape-jni.so
libOmxAmrRtpDec.so
libjni_latinime.so
libmvs.so
libnetlink.so
tar: read error: I/O error

and this for the "5-19 last_log.txt" file:

libquramgifmovie.so
libdevicescape-jni.so
libOmxAmrRtpDec.so
tar: read error: I/O error

which does seem to point in the same general vicinity of your /system partition as possibly having bad blocks :(.

I would think your next step might be to try to see if running fsck or e2fsck (depending on the type of filesystem your device has--again, I don't know because I don't have your device) to see if that file system checking utility can find and possibly repair (re-chain any bad blocks, etc.) any issues it might find. Note: you can't run those utilities while the device is booted-up in Android or otherwise mounted--you'd typically run those from an adb shell while/when your custom recovery is booted-up and your /system partition is not (yet) mounted.

We're kind of at the place where I'd think you might be better off soliciting further advice from the Admire gurus in this area since I can't provide you any direct experience or knowledge with your particular device and would hate to have your try something that might leave you in the lurch.

Thanks,
-SA

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones