1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root CWM fails to restore, "error while restoring /system"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MultiLunatic, Aug 5, 2013.

1. MultiLunatic

MultiLunatic Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2013
    Hey guys. I think that this would be the right forum section for this question, but I found it a bit unclear so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I've just begun to mess around with ROMs for android, starting with my Huawei MediaPad. I tried all, like, three ROMs available for it (all unofficially), however, all three had major bugs and I decided to go back to stock (CM and AOKP wouldn't activate WiFi, and PE got stuck at the boot- animation and never even started up).

So I booted into clockworkmod recovery, and tried to restore from the backup I made earlier, but it told me that it couldn't find any backup. So I moved the backup- file itself to the external SD- card and tried the "restore from external SD- card"- option. This time, it did find the backup and began to load it, however, it stopped after formatting "/system" and output "error while restoring /system".

I can't seem to find the answer on google, so do you know what the issue might be and/or how to solve it? Could the file be corrupted?

EDIT: Just found out why it didn't find the backup on the internal memory. All the folders located in the /- directory in android 4.1 are apparently moved to a "sdcard0"- directory in 4.2, while CWM still looks for them in the /- directory, causing it to not find anything. Moving the clockworkmod- folder and it's contents solved this, so it now finds the backups. It still gives the "error while restoring /system" though.

Advertisement

scary alien likes this.
  2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Hey MultiLunatic--apologies for the belated reply, but welcome to our AndroidForums :).

Yeah, I think the 4.1 update on several devices "bumped" the location where user files get auto-created to the "0" subfolder--this corresponds to the default user number in anticipation of allowing multiple user logins on the device and therefore, separate file areas for each user (the second user would get a "1" directory, then "2", and so on).

Anyway, I've moved your thread over here to the Huawei Mediapad 10 all-things-root area. I do realize that this is in an archived device area and therefore, there's not much activity around here anymore, but your thread probably didn't fit in our Hacks area, either.

Cheers and I hope we'll see more of you around here! :)

-SA