• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CWM not launching on CF-Root kernel ...

Hi,

I reflashed the stock kernel back again and the yellow triangle is gone. Also, I still appear to be rooted (Titanium still works).

I have found that boot animations now don't work so maybe I need the zimage file, but where do I find it?
It was described as a compressed copy of the boot partition, but is that the same thing as 'boot loader'?
Thanks and Regards,
Alan.

Upvote 0
I reflashed the stock kernel back again and the yellow triangle is gone. Also, I still appear to be rooted (Titanium still works)

You won't have full functionality e.g. I suspect booting into recovery mode will leave you in the stock recovery, so don't try.

I need the zimage file, but where do I find it?

Open the CF-Root-xxxx.zip you used to root with Winzip, 7zip etc and you'll see the zImage file. Extract it and copy to your /sdcard, then open the CWM app and use the flash a kernel option to reinstall the zImage.

Reactions: vantiveman
Upvote 0
Great!
So, the ZImage is the kernel, but unzipped (for CWM) rather than a TAR (for ODIN)?

I extracted the ZImage to /mnt/sdcard and loaded it in CWM app (Flah a Kernel option) and flashed. Now I have my custom boot animations, CWM recovery, root and no yellow triangle.

I love how a plan comes together - eventually.

Thanks loads for your guidance!

Soon, ICS. Due for Samsung Galaxy S2 sometime first quarter of 2012 from what I've heard!

So, taking an OTA update to get ICS will unroot me, so do you know if there are likely to be rooted kernels for SG2 ICS anytime soon?

Thanks again,

Alan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones