1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

CWM or CM7?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by logan1101, Dec 21, 2011.

1. logan1101

logan1101 Well-Known Member

im going to flash mikg2.61, should i keep revolutionary clock work mod or switch over to CM7? which is better? what about amon-ra?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert

cm7 is a rom, not a recovery. youre making a cross reference to things as different as a transmission and an engine. I by no means to sound like a jackass by saying that, just trying to get you on the right track brotha. Clockworkmod is what you get as a standard recovery when you root, and amon ra is the upgrade in that category. CM7 is the dope s**t rom that youll find many more positive opinions about than negative. CM7 and amon ra do totally different things. If this post makes any sense, awesome. If not, let us know. We are all here to spread the Android knowledge and make the Evo even better than it is :D

ocnbrze, logan1101 and andygu3 like this.
  3. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

And I would highly recommend using the Amon Ra Style recovery instead of the older Amon ra. This way if you made a nandroid with ClockworkMod then you can restore that nandroid using the Amon Ra Style recovery;)

4. logan1101

logan1101 Well-Known Member

your good man, I actually felt like a dumba$$ i was reading about all that stuff this morning and realized that cm7 is a ROM... LOL (smacking myself) haha thanks for the info tho. so ur opinion is cm7 being a great rom? is it better than mikg2.61?

5. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert

It's personal preference. Both roms have basically everything working (CM7 needs a flash of this file http://db.tt/WZuFXULj for GPS to be reliable).

CM7 is based off android open source provided by Google. Mik's stuff is built off HTC's releases. So they are going to be very different in terms of look and feel. A lot of people can't live without Sense widgets. I like AOSP though because it's faster, there are SBC kernels and it's very customizable. They're both really good, so just try both and see what you like. On aosp (or sense for that matter) you can try GoLauncher. The GoWidgets available for it are great and IMHO better than Sense. There are widget themes you can download as well.

Get to flashing!

6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

they are two different types of roms. mikg is sense while cm7 is an aosp rom. aosp (android open source project) is a rom that is pure android os, while sense is android that is overlayed with the sense launcher and its widgets.

aosp is not for everyone as you will not have sense (which a lot of people like) so you will need to find a launcher of your choice or keep the adw launcher that it comes with it. but because sense is not there, aosp roms are super tiny and do not take up a lot of your phone's ram. and because of this your performance will be better. also the kernels are better IMO. cm7 with the tiamat sbc kernel i can get easily 18-35 hours of battery life with moderate to heavy usage. if i hardly touch my phone i can get over 3 days worth of battery!

but cm7 and aosp takes a little more work getting your phone setup, but that is why some of rooted our phones so that we can play and customize it how we want it. first you need to flash the gapps file this will give you your market and google apps like gmail. then you may need to flash the gps qualcomm drivers to get your gps fixed.

mikg is sense but IMO it is one of the best sense roms out there. mik is a great dev and all of his roms are always topnotch.

hope this helps.

logan1101, andygu3 and dustwun77 like this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews