• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CWM Recovery for LG Spectrum

Neph81

Android Expert
Mar 3, 2012
Wisconsin
EDIT:

THIS INFORMATION IS EXTREMELY OUT OF DATE. DO NOT USE THIS RECOVERY. A CWM WITH OUT THE BOOT LOOP ISSUE HAS BEEN MADE.

http://androidforums.com/spectrum-a...oot-clockworkmod-recovery-lg-spectrum-4g.html

Credit goes to the guys at XDA for doing the initial work on CWM for the Nitro[CWM][24/01] ClockworkMod 5 Recovery For LG Nitro HD - xda-developers

With that said, here comes the warnings

DO NOT do this if you are not familiar with the DD command.
DO NOT do this if you are not familiar with how to recover your phone from the LG .cab files.
DO NOT do this if you do not understand how badly you will wreck your phone.
DO NOT touch the page 7 partition. If you do, your phone is FULL BRICK as page 7 has all the Download Mode and Format System info
DO NOT USE THE BUILT IN COMMAND TO FORMAT ANY PARTITION, THIS INCLUDES RESTORING NANDROID BACKUPS
There is a known bug of /data being corrupted if you use the format command in CWM. You have been warned.

Now that we have that out of the way, here we go.

Download the recovery file here : "link deleted"

Do a MD5 hash check on the completed file. The hash should return as 9fdcb32f01c21d72776a641262e273
If it didn't try the file again. If you are still getting issues, let me know.

Place the cwm_recovery.img file into the same directory as ADB

Push the img file to the SD card on your phone using ADB.

ADB into your phone and SU to enter super user mode

CRITICAL STEP:

Make a DD backup of your recovery partition in case something goofs up. The command would be as follows "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/orig_recovery.img" Do not mess up this step and make sure to get that orig_recovery.img file to some place safe.

Next CD to /sdcard
ls -l to make sure you really are in your sd card directory and that cwm_recovery.img is sitting there.
now run "dd if=cwm_recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13"
If all went well you should be able to exit out of ADB and then run ADB REBOOT RECOVERY.

If any of this sounds weird to you DO NOT TRY THIS. I will not be helping people trouble shoot their bricked phones. What this does at this point is allows us to ADB into our phone while in recovery and replace system files while the system is not loaded. The power button selects menu items. When you first go in, you will need to go into "mounts and storage" and mount your /system directory to see and modify your system files.

Now that this is out, hopefully we can get some ROM loving.

EDIT: The phone will pull a copy of the original recovery from the boot partition which will over write the CWM recovery. If you want to stop this from happening, you will need to do the following in ADB BEFORE installing CWM. At some point I will get around to writing a .bat file for all of this.

adb shell
su
mount -orw,remount /dev/block/system /system
rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
exit
adb reboot

Attachments

• 2012-03-03_00-32-10_609.jpg
    2012-03-03_00-32-10_609.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: brianmaedche
At this point I am going to say probably not. Your best bet is to do DD backups to image files and then DD them back to the proper partition should something go wrong. I may be mistaken on that thou. If you read thru the Nitro recovery link, you can see what sort of issues we're currently running into. I know they have found a way to manually format partitions without issues which means we should be able to do ROMs without any issues.

Upvote 0
Brian : you have that correct. Once the .sh file is moved, CWM will no longer be over written, but you have to DD one more time as your phone gets rebooted twice to get that file out of there

Okay completed new set of commands and its up in working, if you need help testing on anything let me know. I do know basic adb commands and I do know how to restore phone with cab file so let me know if I can be of any help.:)

Upvote 0
Reactions: brianmaedche
Upvote 0
I noticed that after performing the following
adb shell
su
echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop
exit
adb reboot
if you don't complete the remount and reboot, all vibration and sounds are cut off. scared the crap out of me. I believe it after the removal of the local.prop

That's when it happened to me as well. So I would agree on that mit has to do with removal of the local.prop

Upvote 0
I noticed that after performing the following
adb shell
su
echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop
exit
adb reboot
if you don't complete the remount and reboot, all vibration and sounds are cut off. scared the crap out of me. I believe it after the removal of the local.prop

Can I ask why you are having to use this method? Is it already rooted? If it's already rooted, why are you having to reuse the exploit? It should just be a simple

Code:
adb push cwm_recovery.img /sdcard/cwm_recovery.img
adb shell
su

At this point you will have to accept Super User permissions on your phone, but then you have root access. There should be no need to run the exploit again. After that just run

Code:
mount -orw,remount /dev/block/system /system
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/orig_recovery.img
dd if=/sdcard/cwm_recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13

That should both make a backup and install the new

Upvote 0
Can I ask why you are having to use this method? Is it already rooted? If it's already rooted, why are you having to reuse the exploit? It should just be a simple

Code:
adb push cwm_recovery.img /sdcard/cwm_recovery.img
adb shell
su
At this point you will have to accept Super User permissions on your phone, but then you have root access. There should be no need to run the exploit again. After that just run

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/orig_recovery.img
dd if=/sdcard/cwm_recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13
That should both make a backup and install the new

SU does not allow RM access on it's own, you have to remount the partition as RW. The method that requires no additional files is the method I have posted. You have to re-exploit in order to get "adb remount" to work.

Alternatively, you could try finding the correct remount command from inside adb shell, but I never bothered finding the correct parameters. Another option would be to use a root exploring program from within android, but that would be more files for some one to find and use. Lastly, you could try and go into CWM and then ADB in once you have that loaded, but that would require trying to explain which menu and buttons you need to press before you can use the adb commands.

Upvote 0
SU does not allow RM access on it's own, you have to remount the partition as RW. The method that requires no additional files is the method I have posted. You have to re-exploit in order to get "adb remount" to work.

Alternatively, you could try finding the correct remount command from inside adb shell, but I never bothered finding the correct parameters. Another option would be to use a root exploring program from within android, but that would be more files for some one to find and use. Lastly, you could try and go into CWM and then ADB in once you have that loaded, but that would require trying to explain which menu and buttons you need to press before you can use the adb commands.

Remount doesn't work inside of shell anyways, you just have to mount the system partition which I forgot about in there lol. Fixed

Upvote 0
Thanks for the command list. I have edited the first post to reflect the easier method. I'll get around to writing the .bat file tonight when I'm home from work.

I've actually got one here lol. I was going to post it on my lunch lol. I just converted the all in one I had built for the lg revolution to work on the spectrum. Do you have a copy of the stock recovery because it includes a return to stock also?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones