• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CWM Recovery v6.0.1.2 Beta for the Triumph

BSydz

Android Expert
Mar 31, 2012
The Mitten
This is CWM Recovery v6.0.1.2 Beta. It needs some testing and some feedback. I haven't tested every new option yet but the basics seem to work fine. I factory reset and installed 3 ROMs with no problems: Sharp Ver8, My GB ROM, and CM10. I have also restored some very old backups of CM7 and froyo. Let me know how it goes.

If you need any more information it can be found here. http://androidforums.com/triumph-al...stalling-cwm-custom-rom-motorola-triumph.html

Thanks to b_randon14 for the updater.script to make it a flashable zip.

Installation(custom recovery):
1. Copy to SD card
2. Boot into recovery (Vol +,Vol-, power)
3. Install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard
4. Select CWM Recovery v6.0.1.2 Triumph - BSydz.zip
5. Reboot

Installation(Stock recovery):
1. Extract zip file on to PC
2. Boot into Download Mode (Vol-, power)
3. Plug in usb cable
4. Browse to the image folder in the mobile partition
5. Replace the recovery.img file in the image folder with the one you just extracted
6. Unplug cable
7. Pull battery
8. Restart phone.

Controls:
Volume up -------> Up
Volume down ----> Down
Menu -------------> Select
Back -------------> Back

NOTE: Issue with creating backups as ext4 filesystem, will cause issues with some Froyo ROMs.
Workaround: If you run into this you can just change the file names
in the backup from ext4 to ext3 and also change the names in the md5 file. There is no need to redo any of the md5 checksums.

NOTE:
There is one initial error, but no ill affects: E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command

CWM Recovery v6.0.1.2 Triumph - BSydz.zip

Attachments

• CWM Recovery 6.0.1.2.png
    CWM Recovery 6.0.1.2.png
    835 KB · Views: 753
This is CWM Recovery v6.0.1.2 It needs some testing and some feedback. I haven't tested every new option yet but the basics seem to work fine. I factory reset and installed 3 ROMs with no problems: Sharp Ver8, My GB ROM, and CM10. I have also restored some very old backups of CM7 and froyo. Let me know how it goes.

If you need any more information it can be found here. http://androidforums.com/triumph-al...stalling-cwm-custom-rom-motorola-triumph.html

Installation(custom recovery):
1. Copy to SD card
2. Boot into recovery (Vol +,Vol-, power)
3. Install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard
4. Select CWM Recovery v6.0.1.2 Triumph - BSydz.zip
5. Reboot

Installation(Stock recovery):
1. Extract zip file on to PC
2. Boot into Download Mode (Vol-, power)
3. Plug in usb cable
4. Browse to the image folder in the mobile partition
5. Replace the recovery.img file in the image folder with the one you just extracted
6. Unplug cable
7. Pull battery
8. Restart phone.

Thanks to b_randon14 for the updater.script to make it a flashable zip.

There is one initial error: E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command

CWM Recovery v6.0.1.2 Triumph - BSydz.zip

Do I really need to upgrade from the cwm i have? Is there an issue?

Upvote 0
Do I really need to upgrade from the cwm i have? Is there an issue?

What's the difference between this one and the old recovery?
I'll have to check out the CWM change log, I'll update the OP as soon as I do. This has an updated UI and also some extended options throughout the menus. I've only had it installed for a couple hours, so give it some time, check it out for yourselves. I would never release something I have not tested, just beware that there might be a few issues with the extended options. All of the basic wipe, install and restore functions work, and the wipe especially seems to be much faster now.

Reactions: chucksaysblah
Upvote 0
I'll have to check out the CWM change log, I'll update the OP as soon as I do. This has an updated UI and also some extended options throughout the menus. I've only had it installed for a couple hours, so give it some time, check it out for yourselves. I would never release something I have not tested, just beware that there might be a few issues with the extended options. All of the basic wipe, install and restore functions work, and the wipe especially seems to be much faster now.

Faster is always better . I noticed since i switched from the OV that the recovery process takes longer than it did on the OV for sure. I will watch this thread and upgrade when several people have tested and all the bugs are worked out!

Upvote 0
And they added the dedupe feature for backups and restores which helps save space and speed up backup and restores because it makes blobs of all the files and uses a sha256 checksum and so it checks to see if the file has changed and only backups up files that have changed.

The only thing I'm having problem is that the way the recovery.fstab is wrote on the cm10 tree it only lists ext4 as the filesystem which is fine for most but I liked how on older recoveries it listed a fs type 2 so you could list ext3. What this causes is it makes all backups list as an ext4 backup so when you restore it, it formats the partitions to ext4 which can cause problems in a stock kernel that mounts everything as ext3.

I finally got my box to build the recovery but I modified the recovery.fstab trying to get it to backup as ext3 on the stock rom and completely borked the recovery lol!! It wouldn't mount anything because of the malformed recovery.fstab.

You may also notice that the partition sdcard option is no longer on the advanced menu as well as power off. I got the partition sdvard to show up by Modding the extendedcommands.c file and I'm going to try to get the power off option back.

And ideally I would like to try to get USB mass storage working and get it to backup and restore the /hidden and hidden/data partitions and potentially the brat partition containg the bootloaders and recovery.
I guess if I can find some dev time I'm going to play around with cwm 6 for a while.

I like the way cwm 6 looks and feels though. Its a much better built recovery! Kudos to bsydz for building this!!

Upvote 0
L
The only thing I'm having problem is that the way the recovery.fstab is wrote on the cm10 tree it only lists ext4 as the filesystem which is fine for most but I liked how on older recoveries it listed a fs type 2 so you could list ext3. What this causes is it makes all backups list as an ext4 backup so when you restore it, it formats the partitions to ext4 which can cause problems in a stock kernel that mounts everything as ext3.

I finally got my box to build the recovery but I modified the recovery.fstab trying to get it to backup as ext3 on the stock rom and completely borked the recovery lol!! It wouldn't mount anything because of the malformed recovery.fstab.

You may also notice that the partition sdcard option is no longer on the advanced menu as well as power off. I got the partition sdvard to show up by Modding the extendedcommands.c file and I'm going to try to get the power off option back.
I can confirm that it sets the backups as ext4 and gets stuck at logo after restore on froyo roms. I'll see what i can do.

EDIT: I got the power off option and almost have the ext4 issue resolved, but I'll have to finish up tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Do you got your sources up on github for your recovery?
Not yet, I'll push the whole CM10 code once I get a few things worked out. I wouldn't mind collaborating with this, I can send you the modified files, I don't like putting unfinished stuff out to the public. Get at me if you have any ideas.

EDIT: Sorry I had just woke up.

Upvote 0
And they added the dedupe feature for backups and restores which helps save space and speed up backup and restores because it makes blobs of all the files and uses a sha256 checksum and so it checks to see if the file has changed and only backups up files that have changed.

I think it is fantastic we are getting an update to the new version of CWM for our MT's. I'm also using the Touch version of 6013 on my GNex. Just wanted to say that many people who are using version 6 do not like the new default backup method which uses blob files. The first time you use it, it will create a blob folder under CWM and fill it with many HUNDREDS of small files there. Yes, it is faster on subsequent backups, but the blob folder can quickly get out of hand and become several GB's. Due to the number of files, it is IMPOSSIBLY slow to transfer back to a PC, and you have to transfer both the blob folder and the individual backup folders at the same time because they are dependent on one another. Another issue folks are having is with switching ROMS. If you switch to a different ROM(s), all the blobs and backups will not work for the new ROM. You have to move off the old backups to the PC, and then start over for the new ROM.

The reason I bring this up is that in 6013 there is a new backup method TOGGLE people should know about. Not sure if it is included in this version of 6012. You can toggle back and forth from the default *.DUP backups (blobs) to the old *.TAR type everyone is famililar with. Using the TAR method allows you to quickly archive backups on your PC and switch freely between ROMs. This is just a heads up for those who are trying v. 6.x for the first time. You want to make sure you have the toggle in your version, and you will probably NOT want to use the default method. If you are interested, I have included a link to Koush's blog. It's way down toward the bottom, but he talks about making the toggle in response to user requests.

You may also want to consider looking at the "touch" version of CWM if this is not too difficult to implement vs. the current standard version. Hope this is helpful, and when I get some time, I will flash this to one of my MT's and report back.

https://plus.google.com/103583939320326217147/posts/L6SMJKw6dxF

Another link for info. It's the XDA Dev thread on CWM v.6.xx where you will find discussion on using the toggle and the benefits of using each method and links to the CWM github.
[RECOVERY][GSM] Clockworkmod Recovery 6.0.1.1[Fastboot] - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Ok, so I found a way to get around the ext4 issue. I have included instructions in the OP.

Issue with creating backups as ext4 filesystem, will cause issues with some Froyo ROMs.
Workaround: If you run into this you can just change the file names in the backup from ext4 to ext3 and also change the names in the md5 file. There is no need to redo any of the md5 checksums.

Upvote 0
So, after searching for many hours, I can not find a way to build the touch recovery. So, I used the online tool to make this for testing. This is just a test, there is no way to really modify the build process, so this is as is, and won't be updated. I just figured a few people might wanna try this out.

Controls:
Menu --------> Down
Home -------> Up
Back --------> Back
Search ------> Select
Vol up -------> Up
Vol down ----> Down
Power -------> Select

CWM 6.0.1.3 Touch for the Triumph - Test - BSydz.zip

Reactions: bluetec
Upvote 0

And ideally I would like to try to get USB mass storage working and get it to backup and restore the /hidden and hidden/data partitions and potentially the brat partition containg the bootloaders and recovery.
I guess if I can find some dev time I'm going to play around with cwm 6 for a while.

I like the way cwm 6 looks and feels though. Its a much better built recovery! Kudos to bsydz for building this!!
So, I found a pretty cool way to get around the recovery.fstab ext4 issue. After trying every filesystem I could think of, emmc, mtd, yaffs, etc., I was stuck. :banghead: So, I was like what the hell, I replaced ext4 with auto and everything mounts and I just made a backup, just need to do some more testing. I wish we could just put auto in more things and have it work! :D

Upvote 0
So, after searching for many hours, I can not find a way to build the touch recovery. So, I used the online tool to make this for testing. This is just a test, there is no way to really modify the build process, so this is as is, and won't be updated. I just figured a few people might wanna try this out.

Controls:
Menu --------> Down
Home -------> Up
Back --------> Back
Search ------> Select
Vol up -------> Up
Vol down ----> Down
Power -------> Select

CWM 6.0.1.3 Touch for the Triumph - Test - BSydz.zip

I flashed this and its working pretty good. It seems to be fully functional. The only problem is that you can double click sometimes because it is super sensitive to your touch. If you careful though, its not a problem.

Reactions: BSydz
Upvote 0
This upgrade is nice. Although most people don't care about what Recovery version they're using (heck most Android users don't know their OS version or care about it) but it seems to be a bit more stable than before. Great job brother! This this hauls serious butt. I was getting sick of the old clockworkmods getting slow, freezing and rebooting during a backup, and not giving proper progress. Touch is not really needed, I'm so used to the old way of doing things, and plus since the Triumph's keys are so touchy and often stop working for no reason, I have better confidence in the volume keys.

Upvote 0
So, I found a pretty cool way to get around the recovery.fstab ext4 issue. After trying every filesystem I could think of, emmc, mtd, yaffs, etc., I was stuck. :banghead: So, I was like what the hell, I replaced ext4 with auto and everything mounts and I just made a backup, just need to do some more testing. I wish we could just put auto in more things and have it work! :D

So in the fstab just have the filesystem as auto? Wow that makes so much sense lol! That is awesome thanks bsydz! And what did you do to get the power off menu back on?

Upvote 0
So in the fstab just have the filesystem as auto? Wow that makes so much sense lol! That is awesome thanks bsydz! And what did you do to get the power off menu back on?
Well the auto doesn't exactly work like I wanted, it will backup cm10 but throws an error can't mount /system when I try to back up sharp ROM, but it will mount system in mounts. I am thinking ext3 would be best for cache and data since all ROMS except your stock ROM only format /system and all would work with ext3.

As for the power off, just add "power off" under "advanced" in char* MENU_ITEMS, in default_recovery_ui.c.
Code:
char* MENU_ITEMS[] = { "reboot system now",
                       "install zip from sdcard",
                       "wipe data/factory reset",
                       "wipe cache partition",
                       "backup and restore",
                       "mounts and storage",
                       "advanced",
                       [B][COLOR=DarkRed]"power off",[/COLOR][/B]
                       NULL };
Also, it seems that 6.0.1.3 has the format SD option available, I saw it, but I ran so many test builds that I don't remember which one or with what settings.

But, I found out how to get the other X6 variant kernels to read our baseband, also I found why the new kernel would not work unless you flash the nb0. So I ended up "bricking" my dev phone, for the umpteenth time, kinda, I'll get it back like I always do. But now that I know these things I am going to try to make a modified nb0 with the correct info and new kernel to see if I can get it to boot. Plus, I want to build a kernel for cm7 with the source from the Mi410, with those changes. So much I want to do and no time to do it, I wish I knew how to code, it would speed things up quite a bit.

Reactions: thangfish
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones