• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cyanogen Mod Won't Boot...Please Help!

yev333

Oct 18, 2017
Hello all,

First post here. I am in desperate need of help!!!

I have a Galaxy S4 that I purchased a while ago (second-hand) with Cyanogenmod already installed.

I greatly enjoyed the versatility of the CM interface and have never had any issues with it.

Just earlier today, while updating an app, my phone decided to reboot and is now stuck in the Cyanogenmod start-up screen (spinning blue circle) and will not advance beyond that.

I have attempted to restart and remove the battery several times to no avail.

Please note that I have virtually no experience working with CM via the computer as it was pre-installed on the phone by the previous owner.

I would greatly appreciate any help in regards to this issue...even just suggestions on how to retrieve things off my phone such as pictures, contacts, and most importantly my calendar! (I rely on the calendar for work and have two months of scheduled appointments saved on it)

Thanks in advance!!!

Do you know if the device has a custom recovery installed?

You can boot into recovery like this:

If you're stuck in a boot loop you may need to pull the battery and replace it. Then attempt the button combination. If there is not a removable battery you may need to hold that button combination for longer.

If you see the screen that was shown in the video, that was the stock recovery menu. If you have a custom recovery installed (TWRP probably) then it will look a lot different and also be a good thing as you may be able to download a copy of cm and reflash the system.

I'm really not in the loop with Samsung devices but I'll help as much as I can.

There's also the possibility of some sort of hardware failure. In this case, you may be completely out of luck.

Also, can you provide some information about your device?
-Model Number
-Carrier/Country

I usually encourage people to root/mod their own devices. This is one of the main reasons. Without any knowledge of the process, when something goes wrong you are kinda stuck without any idea how to fix it. It also makes helping people a lot harder when they don't know some of the basics.

That said, hopefully I, or someone else on the forums can walk you through some recovery options.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have alot if experience with this issue, firstbthing what model is the phone i belive you can check under the battery or say what carrier it says on the back panel and ill automatically assist you in either upgrading to a newer OS to flashing the Stock OS to the phone (with stock i dont recommend because security issues, but all i can say for right now if you have the samsung drivers installed on your pc, you can go into the custom recovery and use MTP to get access to your files but contacts are already lost as you can only back em up via Google Sync if a Google Voice has been setup!

Reactions: yev333 and Brian706
Upvote 0
Do you know if the device has a custom recovery installed?

You can boot into recovery like this:

If you're stuck in a boot loop you may need to pull the battery and replace it. Then attempt the button combination. If there is not a removable battery you may need to hold that button combination for longer.

If you see the screen that was shown in the video, that was the stock recovery menu. If you have a custom recovery installed (TWRP probably) then it will look a lot different and also be a good thing as you may be able to download a copy of cm and reflash the system.

I'm really not in the loop with Samsung devices but I'll help as much as I can.

There's also the possibility of some sort of hardware failure. In this case, you may be completely out of luck.

Also, can you provide some information about your device?
-Model Number
-Carrier/Country

I usually encourage people to root/mod their own devices. This is one of the main reasons. Without any knowledge of the process, when something goes wrong you are kinda stuck without any idea how to fix it. It also makes helping people a lot harder when they don't know some of the basics.

That said, hopefully I, or someone else on the forums can walk you through some recovery options.

Hello, and thank you for your prompt reply!

I tried the above-mentioned button combination and was taken to a screen that says "PhilZ Touch 6" at the top with a list of 9 options below ...

-reboot system now
-install zip
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-backup and restor
-mounts and storage
-advanced
-philZ settings
-power options

Not sure how to proceed from here to ensure that I don't lose anything...

My phone is a Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile) SGH-M919

Upvote 0
You need to go to "Mounts & Storage" and their should be an option to mounts USB or MTP and all u need to so is plug it in your pc and uf samsung drivers are installed on your PC should pop up to give u an option to open device

Alright, so I did this and connected the phone to my PC but when I did, a screen popped up on my computer saying "USB device not recognized" and I am not seeing it under "devices and drives" ...

Upvote 0
@Brian706 Agreed he can use any samsung driver as long its up to date to support the windows version he has i used this one its safe and used it yesterday http://developer.samsung.com/galaxy/others/android-usb-driver-for-windows @yev333 you can as well get a safeer updatee version that supports up to Windows 10 but its up to you just unzip and install

Alright. Got the drivers installed! The PC now recognizes the device and allows me to access the folders! I can get to my photos but still unsure how to retrieve my calendar...is this possible? Also, what steps do I take from here to try to recover my phone? Thanks so much for your help fellas! Much appreciated!

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
https://androidforums.com/threads/v7-1-2-ctos-10™-v6-1-for-jflte-all-updated-10-18-17.1184041/ @yev333 i recommend in my opinion this OS i built it my self, its Running Android CM14.1 and comes with Google Apps ore installed so you dont have to install anything else if you want me ro help you to install it just download it and move it to an sdcard on your phone or your internal and you wont lose anything on your ibternal storafe while installing itstorage and i can help you more from their.

Reactions: yev333
Upvote 0
https://androidforums.com/threads/v7-1-2-ctos-10™-v6-1-for-jflte-all-updated-10-18-17.1184041/ @yev333 i recommend in my opinion this OS i built it my self, its Running Android CM14.1 and comes with Google Apps ore installed so you dont have to install anything else if you want me ro help you to install it just download it and move it to an sdcard on your phone or your internal and you wont lose anything on your ibternal storafe while installing itstorage and i can help you more from their.

I am certainly willing to install a new OS, especially if it allows me to regain functionality of my phone! Pretty sure mine was immensely outdated.

If I do this, does it pretty much mean I start with a clean slate? As in loosing all customization/data/files I had on my phone? (minus what I able to save from SD card)

Followed your link to the "Gamerom Mobile" page that lists several downoad options (all appear to be for Galaxy S4)... which of these is the one I should be downloading?

I have to head out for a couple hrs but I'll be back to finish this after that. Thanks for your assistance!

Upvote 0
Download the one that says either GamwrROM 10 or wil say ctOS 10 One if those because previous OS i rarely update when you flash the new OS you will have as if the phone was brand new, however, when you prepare the phone for a new OS you dont need to format the internal storage the OS is set to NOT to format internal & External storage unless you do it manually but other then that itll be worth it because not only your fixing your phone but your getting a huge os upgrade witch has more support for apps and CGS TV so you dont have to pay for netflix :)

Upvote 0
Download the one that says either GamwrROM 10 or wil say ctOS 10 One if those because previous OS i rarely update when you flash the new OS you will have as if the phone was brand new, however, when you prepare the phone for a new OS you dont need to format the internal storage the OS is set to NOT to format internal & External storage unless you do it manually but other then that itll be worth it because not only your fixing your phone but your getting a huge os upgrade witch has more support for apps and CGS TV so you dont have to pay for netflix :)

Sounds great! I am in the process of downloading it now! Does it matter where I put the file on the SD card once it's downloaded? How do i proceed from there?

Upvote 0
It does not matter where you place the file on your SD card. Just as long as you know where the file is at.

I would highly suggest using the backup feature in your recovery prior to installing anything. Backup system/data/boot partitions. Also this is a good habit to get into every time you install. To make a working backup. For example: if you had made a backup of your setup prior to something going wrong, you could go into recovery and restore that backup.

As for installing the rom, you would use the install zip feature in your recovery. You'd then browse to the location you saved the zip file and choose it to install.

Upvote 0
It does not matter where you place the file on your SD card. Just as long as you know where the file is at.

I would highly suggest using the backup feature in your recovery prior to installing anything. Backup system/data/boot partitions. Also this is a good habit to get into every time you install. To make a working backup. For example: if you had made a backup of your setup prior to something going wrong, you could go into recovery and restore that backup.

As for installing the rom, you would use the install zip feature in your recovery. You'd then browse to the location you saved the zip file and choose it to install.

I downloaded the files via the MEGA app and they are now on my computer. There are two files in the folder, one is the OS10 the other is "nightly builds"...do I need to copy both of them over?

Upvote 0
Gotcha, thanks! Also, just to be sure, which option should I use for backup? I see one that says backup to/ storage/ SD card 1 ... does that sound right?
Yeah you can back up to sdcard 1 thats yoyr external sd

But to prepare to install the os go to Mounts & Storage and format The following Partitions

/Dalvik-Cache

/System

/Cache

/data

If you dont want to format internal dont select the one that says Format /data/media that will format your internal personally i love using TWRP so if you neef help flashing a easy recovery i can give you the files

Reactions: yev333 and Brian706
Upvote 0
@yev333 not sure if you ever notice but in the thread i gave you theire is an update coming out shortly as of the time i posting thus reply wil a big overhaul and uts not a nightly so it pretty stable wanted to inform you

Yeah, I did see this! I have yet to install the one I downloaded. I was just preparing to do that when I saw this post. Would you recommend that I wait to install until the new one is out or is it easy enough to update from the original install? Many thanks!

P.S. Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the matter...like I said, I have very little experience with this but very much enjoy the CM interface!

Upvote 0
So I've run into a secondary issue trying to access my SD card via the Computer...when I first downloaded and installed the Samsung drivers, the phone showed up under devices on my computer but now when I go back to it's not showing up. I have unplugged and replugged the cable, restated the computer, rebooted the phone but still no luck... Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones