• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cyanogenmod 10.1 for Samsung Galaxy Ace [Android 4.2.1]

insekticide

Jun 11, 2011
Germany
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know that after months and month of debating, I finaly had the courage to install CyanogenMod on my Samsung Galaxy Ace. So far (a day) it works great. I used the instructions under the following link:

Install CM10.1 on Samsung Galaxy Ace [Android 4.2.1]

I will update in a couple of days, after I was able to play around with it a little bit.

God bless,

- Insekticide

Reactions: El Presidente
Hi El Presidente,

first I want to metion that the Android version that I installed is 4.2.2. I remember getting the image from here. After a day I decided to install it and I used the instructions from the first website I mentioned.

As for the OS itself, it works great. It runs smoother than I thought. Every now and then it has it's loading times, but I had that with the official rom also.
A huge thing that is either not working or only I didn't get it to work ext partition with Link2SD. Link2SD mentions "Error mounting partition" and if I want to clean up the partition it mentions /data/sdext2 mount not found. If anyone knows a fix for that I would be greatful, since honestly I don't have room for too many apps, and I am not talking about games, but important ones that I need.

Concerning just the ROM, I like it, it runs smoothly and feels great.

God bless,

- Insekticide

Upvote 0
Use the links and reviews from the xda forum thread where it was originally released. Link2sd has been the only app which has been successful in running on 4.1.x and 4.2.x systems, both the s2e and cronmod has problems mounting the partition. I tried cronmod with 4.2.2 sometime back, it increased the memory but i could not install/update any app via play store.
Look into the threads, there are several CM10.1 versions there, and your problem has been solved there long back. It most probably has to do with your partition format.

Upvote 0
Hi ayush29k,

thanks for the response. Believe you me, I looked into these forums but I couldn't find a solution, that is exactly why I wrote this problem here. I started a new thread with this problem, since this one should be just about the experience with installing cm10.1.

This is my second day with cm10.1. I have to say that I feel it running smoother than on the first day. So far I love the cpu overclocking feature. I haven't gone over 800 MHz but I raised the minimum a bit and that works great (goes up to 998 MHz). If anyone tried this and was successful, please mention :)

- Insekticide

Upvote 0
Hi ayush29k,

thanks for the response. Believe you me, I looked into these forums but I couldn't find a solution, that is exactly why I wrote this problem here. I started a new thread with this problem, since this one should be just about the experience with installing cm10.1.

This is my second day with cm10.1. I have to say that I feel it running smoother than on the first day. So far I love the cpu overclocking feature. I haven't gone over 800 MHz but I raised the minimum a bit and that works great (goes up to 998 MHz). If anyone tried this and was successful, please mention :)

- Insekticide

I have used AOKP 4.1.2 in the past and now i am using PAC 4.2.2, and i always use cronmod or its fixed versions, i don't have any problem mounting my ext partition. Maybe its the rom you downloaded has a bug. Try some other CM10.1, this one might be bugged. These days a new CM10.1 is built every 2 days from the jenkins server, read the CM10.1 thread by bielt.v or erickas.
I don't prefer to overclock the cpu when running JB, it already has a big battery drain and overclocking simply renders the phone useless, drains out in 10 hours.
Although i have overclocked till 921mhz with CM7, but just for trial, i kept it on 844 or 864mhz for everyday use.
I'd also suggest you to use the fly-on mod scripts, they really improve the performance a lot.

Reactions: insekticide
Upvote 0
THANK YOU SO MUCH AYUSH29K!!!
I didn't think the rom was at fault but it was. I found the following thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2212438
There are a couple of roms there to be tried but the one I downloaded was:

2013-06-26
Version with SuperSU - susu-cm-10.1.0-GT-S5830-cooper++.zip
(md5: a1076782794a4915487f32add4c7a741)

Thanks again for your help. I hope posting the links to the thread will help others too. I will update in a couple of days with more info, but for now it seems to work. I was able to install more apps this time after setting Link2SD up. :)

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,

I have been playing around for two more days with the new rom and so far I love it. I was able to install all the apps I used to have and they all work great.

A problem I had was with the CPU frequency. If I set the maximum over 800 MHz, the phone acts weird and then doesn't turn on out of standby. I set the minimum higher tho and that seems to help alot. I am running my phone now between 672 and 800 MHz.

Hope to hear from others about their experience.

- Insekticide

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,

I have been playing around for two more days with the new rom and so far I love it. I was able to install all the apps I used to have and they all work great.

A problem I had was with the CPU frequency. If I set the maximum over 800 MHz, the phone acts weird and then doesn't turn on out of standby. I set the minimum higher tho and that seems to help alot. I am running my phone now between 672 and 800 MHz.

Hope to hear from others about their experience.

- Insekticide

That's gonna drain out your battery mate. Even at idle your phone is running 672mhz, thats a lot of drain on the battery. Maybe the reason your phone is not turning on is lag, check your ram levels, usually when i am running a lot of apps my phone takes some time to turn on after screenlock, sometimes it gets stuck and i have to do a hard reboot but i know thats its because of ram only.
Try this cpu config:
Min freq: 245
Max freq: 825 or 844
Governer: SmartassV2 (if available)

Upvote 0
That's gonna drain out your battery mate. Even at idle your phone is running 672mhz, thats a lot of drain on the battery. Maybe the reason your phone is not turning on is lag, check your ram levels, usually when i am running a lot of apps my phone takes some time to turn on after screenlock, sometimes it gets stuck and i have to do a hard reboot but i know thats its because of ram only.
Try this cpu config:
Min freq: 245
Max freq: 825 or 844
Governer: SmartassV2 (if available)

My battery is stable with my settings. Can you elaborate on SmartassV2?

Upvote 0
Its a governor, google it. Governs cpu activity as per demand.
Custom kernels usually have it, it improves performance.

Oh, what a fan I am of the sentence "google it" in a forum. That, and "Why would you want to do that!?". But thanks alot ayush29k for pointing it out.

I found the setting in the performance menu. I setup the CPU as you mentioned, hope this helps.

- Insekticide

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones