• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CyanogenMod 7 Unofficial Beta 5 02/20/12

Thanks for creating the CyanogenMod 7, I've been using the os since my old G1. I've installed beta 5 but the hot fix beta_5_removed_ apks.zip wont flash.
I did some poking around google to see if I could find some one else having this problem but I didn't have any luck. Maybe some one can assist me?

The removed apps.zip isn't flashable ad its not a fix. Its just a zip containing the apps that were removed :p

You install them using bloodawns apkinstaller.zip, or by adding em to the /system/app folder in the rom.zip

They are optional

Upvote 0
The removed apps.zip isn't flashable ad its not a fix. Its just a zip containing the apps that were removed :p

You install them using bloodawns apkinstaller.zip, or by adding em to the /system/app folder in the rom.zip

They are optional

Oh thanks Lordvicent, I thought this was a solution to my booting up to no apps installed. When I reboot my phone I have to do it twice. The second time my apps are there.

Upvote 0
Kernel is 2.6.35.7 se.infra@SEI-44 #1 i'm not sure if that's a data-2-sdext.
Nope, I did a fresh wipe with no apps.

Where did you get it? (If that's the kernel that comes with cm7 then its been too long since I've seen it... but that doesn't look correct to me)

You should use katokernel. There are two versions. One that mounts the sdext (partition you create on your sdcard) as /data. The other does not.

Both offer overclocking and additional governors.

The only way I could see your apps not showing up would be you have a data-2-sdext kernel and the partition isn't being mounted at boot... or the phone is booting into safe mode.

Edit- katokernel:
http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=518663

Upvote 0
Where did you get it? (If that's the kernel that comes with cm7 then its been too long since I've seen it... but that doesn't look correct to me)

You should use katokernel. There are two versions. One that mounts the sdext (partition you create on your sdcard) as /data. The other does not.

Both offer overclocking and additional governors.

The only way I could see your apps not showing up would be you have a data-2-sdext kernel and the partition isn't being mounted at boot... or the phone is booting into safe mode.

Edit- katokernel:
[Kernel][CM7][CM9][MIUI][CTMOD/H.A.R.] Kato Kernel Beta 0.4 - Overclocked 946MHz[Update 3/30/12] - Android Forums

Thank you for your help.:)

Upvote 0
Is there any way to manage what apps go EXPLICITLY into internal storage vs external? I think I'm using SSM(?) but I can't find those settings anywhere. I'm on 7.1.0 HROARK Beta 5 (so presumably this thread's namesake).

What I/O scheduler would be best when using SSM? god I don't even know if that's the right acronym for it.

SSM is the wrong acronym. That is something that is used on koumakernel.

Presumably you're using a data-2-sd type setup (like katokernel-ext). If this is the case it mounts your sdcard partition AS the /data partition. So everything is explicitly stored on the sdext (partition) and the phone perceives it as the internal storage. Is there a particular reason you need an app moved?

Reactions: Majora_Luna
Upvote 0
SSM is the wrong acronym. That is something that is used on koumakernel.

Presumably you're using a data-2-sd type setup (like katokernel-ext). If this is the case it mounts your sdcard partition AS the /data partition. So everything is explicitly stored on the sdext (partition) and the phone perceives it as the internal storage. Is there a particular reason you need an app moved?

Oh, then data-2-sd would be it. I installed the ROM that came with it built in. I need apps moved because internal storage is faster than SD access, no? I find my phone lags rather often and it's frequent and severe enough to just barely be annoying. I'd like to remedy that if at all possible. If not I suppose I can deal. I only bring it up to begin with because I bought a Class 10/UHS 1 SD card.

As an aside, it also likes to hot-boot randomly for some reason but it's not very frequent.

Finally, since internal storage is faster, the SD card will be less inclined to choke on all the I/O requests. Or so goes my hypothesis at least. I dunno, I just feel like the lag issue could be alleviated if the internal storage was usable.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, with your current setup, the sdext IS the 'internal memory'

If you opt to redo your setup with a non-ext kernel, there is an app made especially for cyanogen mod called s2e (simple to extension) this app allows you to choose which components of the /data partition are moved to the sdext. IMHO the best way to set it up for space & performance is to move everything but /data/data.

1)Install CM7
2) Partition sd card
3)Factory reset.
4)Install kernel
5)Install S2E and set it up. (Selecting ext4 for the partition type) After install, go in to setting and check all boxes.
6)Reboot, open up S2E and check all boxes except data/data. You can check it if you would like but I find it runs better when it's not checked.
7) Install apps.
8)You now have 1 bad ass, fast as heck phone that will not get updates.

Reactions: Majora_Luna
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, with your current setup, the sdext IS the 'internal memory'

If you opt to redo your setup with a non-ext kernel, there is an app made especially for cyanogen mod called s2e (simple to extension) this app allows you to choose which components of the /data partition are moved to the sdext. IMHO the best way to set it up for space & performance is to move everything but /data/data.

Weird. I install S2E but most of the options are greyed out. I probably did something wrong. <_>

Upvote 0
Well I'm using the partition function in clockwordmod if it matters but so far all the options keep staying greyed out. Need to find the S2E apk because its annoying having to set up google play repeatedly rofl.

EDIT: Sigh. No matter what i try, the options remain greyed out. Guess I'll go back to the laggyness I had before for now. <_> If only this phone had more int storage. I wouldn't even bother with this. :U

EDIT EDIT: Hooray! The options randomly became un-grey and I selected them.

Upvote 0
I am getting the same issues with the greyed out boxes in the s2e data switch options. Has anyone found a fix?

Well I'm using the partition function in clockwordmod if it matters but so far all the options keep staying greyed out. Need to find the S2E apk because its annoying having to set up google play repeatedly rofl.

EDIT: Sigh. No matter what i try, the options remain greyed out. Guess I'll go back to the laggyness I had before for now. <_> If only this phone had more int storage. I wouldn't even bother with this. :U

EDIT EDIT: Hooray! The options randomly became un-grey and I selected them.

Yep. This last time it took me multiple attempts to finally get S2E working. Finicky little bastard!
Guys I think I may have a solution to that issue.. Maybe :thinking:

When you use cwm to format your sdext, cwm creates an ext3 journaling format. From what I gather, since just about everything android is now ext4, s2e has been updating to support ext4(emmc) exclusively.

Try this.. I know most of you have and know how to use adb:
Backup your sdcard to your computer first
Reboot into recovery
Plug your phone into computer(while in recovery)
and shell
sdparted -i
Follow the script in the terminal and choose to partition as ext4. You can also choose the exact size of your partition instead of just a few choices.

The end result will be that you have a true ext4 journaling format and s2e will play nice. At least I hope so... Its been great since I did that. Even through s2e updates and all...

Upvote 0
Guys I think I may have a solution to that issue.. Maybe :thinking:

When you use cwm to format your sdext, cwm creates an ext3 journaling format. From what I gather, since just about everything android is now ext4, s2e has been updating to support ext4(emmc) exclusively.

Try this.. I know most of you have and know how to use adb:
Reboot into recovery
Plug your phone into computer(while in recovery)
and shell
sdparted -i
Follow the script in the terminal and choose to partition as ext4. You can also choose the exact size of your partition instead of just a few choices.

The end result will be that you have a true ext4 journaling format and s2e will play nice. At least I hope so... Its been great since I did that. Even through s2e updates and all...

You should definitely note that this will wipe the sdcard. (And should be no different than using kouma's sdparted.apk)

Also, with s2e it gives you the option to select then type of partition you're attempting to mount

Upvote 0
You should definitely note that this will wipe the sdcard. (And should be no different than using kouma's sdparted.apk)

Also, with s2e it gives you the option to select then type of partition you're attempting to mount

Thanks LV. Your right. I shouldn't assume that everyone knows that it will wipe everything.
Backup your sdcard everyone before trying any partitioning. I forgot about kouma's app. I don't use it.

Yes it does give you options to mount but what I meant was that I couldn't get it to work at all until I had a true ext4 sdext. Either s2e just would not move data at all or it would work and then after a few days s2e would stop mounting the sdext. Note: the sdext was mounted fine in my /mnt but not in s2e

Another way to do it would be to format the sdcard from a computer using a partitioning app like gparted in Ubuntu. They have ones that will do ext2, 3, 4 in windows as well. Just another option

Upvote 0

I had used kouma's sdparter tool to partition my sd card and still have not had any success with s2e. It just does not like either me or my phone, not sure which lol. Running CT3.80 for the time being and my prevail hasn't had any issues with it all.

Upvote 0
For some users...
I had honey bread on ff19. Liked it, couldn't figure out how to recognize the data ext. Useless with a 4gb part.
I tried CT 3.75 final, loved it but same thing.
I tried cm7 as suggested by a friend. It recognized the ext part with no configuring. Loved it. But found glitches I didn't care for.
With cm7 on my phone...
In call volume drastically dropped, even with speaker on. Media & tones were still normal though.
The notification tray froze occasionally when I tried to slide certain notifications off the screen. All I could do was close the tray & reboot to remove the freeze.
System would crash & give a force close occasionally.
Zeam would do the same.
And if you use Palringo Chat app, the names containing emoji (I have emoji replacement font in my phone) would be jumbled up & not display correctly (but worked fine on other roms).
So I found out 2 days ago that last month Bloodawn made an updated rom (ctmod 3.8).
I switched to that, love it, everything's normal again except for the in call volume, I still need to figure that one out.. And I did need to go to the kernel settings & switch it to data for the ext part as internal. But no big deal, at least it recognizes it.
So as I said, other phones may have better luck. I figured I'd add my exp here for others to know, even if they don't get the glitches.
Thanx!

Upvote 0
With the notification bar, it only freezes if you don't completely swipe it away. There is an app called 'notification restart' designed specifically for cyanogenmod. It does just what it sounds like. It restarts the notification bar. Its original purpose was for theme chooser problems, but works great for this problem.

As far as in call volume... did you ever try what I suggested and makes call and while in the call turn the volume up? This is the only way I know of for changing in call volume.(there isn't an 'in call volume slider' I'm aware of in settings) It was always plenty loud for me.

Upvote 0
With the notification bar, it only freezes if you don't completely swipe it away. There is an app called 'notification restart' designed specifically for cyanogenmod. It does just what it sounds like. It restarts the notification bar. Its original purpose was for theme chooser problems, but works great for this problem.

As far as in call volume... did you ever try what I suggested and makes call and while in the call turn the volume up? This is the only way I know of for changing in call volume.(there isn't an 'in call volume slider' I'm aware of in settings) It was always plenty loud for me.

Yeah Vince, that was the first thing I tried before you suggested it. I was also suggested dsp manager, it came with the new ct3.8 so I'm gonna look over the manual they have on xda & see if that works.
As for the notification bar, I didn't know that. I'll keep that in mind if I decide to go back to the cm7. But I didn't like those other glitches it gave me either. Unless I could figure that out, I'm sold with ct3.8.. I dunno about the volume. I didn't tinker with the rom or apps after installing. So the rom just hates my phone (or me... >_<)

Upvote 0
Yeah Vince, that was the first thing I tried before you suggested it. I was also suggested dsp manager, it came with the new ct3.8 so I'm gonna look over the manual they have on xda & see if that works.
As for the notification bar, I didn't know that. I'll keep that in mind if I decide to go back to the cm7. But I didn't like those other glitches it gave me either. Unless I could figure that out, I'm sold with ct3.8.. I dunno about the volume. I didn't tinker with the rom or apps after installing. So the rom just hates my phone (or me... >_<)

Sorry you couldn't get it to your liking but that's the way these cheap (and I do not say that with any disrespect) phones act sometimes. YMMV from device to device even if they are the same exact model. I bought my wife a Transform Ultra ultimately because her prevail just would NOT run with any Overclocking or data on ext mod at all. It would lag so bad that it would freeze on one screen for like 3 min where mine ran all of those just fine.

Well,, that AND I wanted to show off Megatron... lol

she also runs a bunch of games with background services like Words With Friends, candy crush, song pop you know, like chicks do... :rolleyes:

Reactions: mjhealy1978
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones