1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

CyanogenMod App Store

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ShinySide, Jan 11, 2012.

1. ShinySide

ShinySide Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Palm Bay, Florida
    https://plus.google.com/117962666888533781522/posts/XAvX7WUWedy

CyanogenMod - Yesterday 7:31 PM - Public
    Read below, leave your thoughts here or on the original post.[1]

[1] If this gets off the ground, it would not be limited to CM, but all custom ROMs
    Koushik Dutta originally shared this post:
    CyanogenMod App Store

I've been bouncing this idea around for a while now, and it seems like an even better idea now, given my recent brush with this problem: we need an App Store for root apps. We also need an app store for apps that are getting shut down for no good reason, other than carrier, or some random corporation doesn't like it. [1]

+CyanogenMod has a huge following now. In fact, we are about to pass 1 million unique, active, user installs. CMStats
    This is, pardon my french, ****ing huge.

As the project grows, so do our server requirements, hardware requirements, etc. One of the ideas I brought up to +Steve Kondik was to have a built in app store in +CyanogenMod, independent of the Android Market. A portion of the sales from the App Store could go towards funding the CyanogenMod project. [2]

What are your opinions on this topic? Would you users actually use a CM App Store over the Android Market, etc? [3]

[1] Apps removed from the Market includes, one click root apps, emulators, tether apps, Visual Voicemail apps, and more. These are all completely legal (Nintendo emulators are fine, ROMs are NOT, there is a distinction).

[2] I've actually approached Amazon about bundling their AppStore in CM if they gave CM a cut of the sales. But they brushed me off, saying that was something they could talk about in a few months :p

[3] There is no reason that it would be a CM only app store, of course, any ROM could include it.

Advertisement

2. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    Does it have to be over Android Market? Can't it be in conjunction with or as a supplement to Android Market?

I'm all for alternative app stores, as long as it's run by people I trust (or who at least have checks/balances in place) and as long as it's curated so as to not include malware.

3. snapcase

snapcase Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    The only issues for me are:

A) what is the submission method?
    This could be a problem on various fronts. Obviously if it's user submitted the flood gates would be open for illegal apps and bootlegs. If it's Dev submitted, how would that be verified? Also, Devs having the same apps on multiple markets tends to mean slower updates on secondary markets as compared to the original Android Market... assuming an app could be on both of course. Then we'd end up in the same boat people are in with GetJar and Amazon lagging seriously behind in updates.

B) Payment methods for paid apps.
    How would paid apps be processed? Would there be a return period?

C) Could it run as a frontend for the Android Market in addition to its own market?
    If it could, then people could keep their Android Market apps updated, and purchase apps from both all through one single interface rather than having to constantly check both. I don't really know how this would be done of how feasible it really is to do, but if it's possible it'd make it a LOT more accessible to a wider range of users.

D) Something else I was going to mention that has since slipped my mind.
    I'll update if I remember what the heck I was going to say.

4. aaronmy

aaronmy Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    A beautiful idea, it would be just like cydia