1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root CyanogenMod Battery Does Not Charge

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Donjo, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Donjo

Donjo Member
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    Pilot
    KORD
    I recently places CyanogenMod 7.0.3 onto my Motorola Droid. While hooked up the the wall charger, it charges until 60% and does not go any further. Once the charge drops below 60% it kicks on the charger for a split second to obtain the 60%. I tried the battery reset option found on CyanogenMods website...but I don't know what else to do to obtain a full charge.

Advertisement

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    In CM7, there is an option (and I apologize, I've SBF'd my DROID back to stock after buying the BIONIC so I cannot say where this setting is exactly) to reset your battery stats (under Cyanogen Mod settings). The Way to do this is to reset the stats, then let your battery go all the way to dead. Then, plug in a wall charger and let it fully charge again.

See if that helps take it back to 100% (and possibly improve your overall battery life as well).

3. Donjo

Donjo Member
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    Pilot
    KORD
    You guys are great!

4. Donjo

Donjo Member
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    Pilot
    KORD
    Ok so I have to activate this thread again, I reset the battery stats and it worked. The problem is the next time I went to charge my battery again, it charged for a few seconds and stopped. This is frustrating! Do I have to reset battery stats EVERYTIME I want to charge my battery?

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Mow much charge does the battery have left before you tried to charge it again?

6. Donjo

Donjo Member
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    Pilot
    KORD
    Approximately 30-40% is usually remaining when I place it on the charger for the night.

7. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    How old is your battery? It sounds like your battery might be getting old.

And then there's my good old tried and true method of getting the absolute most out of my cell phone batteries. Have/buy a second (OEM) battery (or more) and a battery only charger. Do not charge your battery in the phone. I have been doing this for years and years and it has a plethora of advantages:

You never have to plug your phone into the wall. You just let it run all the way down since you always have an extra battery fully charged. You won't wear out the outlet on your phone, after all it is really there for much better uses like hacking and using your phone's sdcard like a USB stick. And last but not at all least, I get much better overall life per charge and longer overall life out of my batteries. I average about 24hrs on each of my regular batteries with moderate use, and the original battery that came with my A855 is in about as good of shape as day 1. And for me Day 1 was release day, November 9, 2009, almost two years ago.

good luck

8. Donjo

Donjo Member
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    Pilot
    KORD
    No, that is not the problem. I would usually get about a days worth of charge out of the phone. I will not plug it into an external charger or anything else. It charged perfectly fine on the original ROM and now it is plugged into the charger (completely dead) and not charging, or on. The battery constantly said it was good and never had any issues until I switched out the ROM to Cyanogen. This is not an issue of getting a new battery or charging port, but rather a Rom issue that needs to be addressed.

9. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    So, you're saying that if you switched out your ROM by either flashing a new one or restoring to a different one via a nandroid restore right now today the problem would go away? As in you have already tried it and that is why you're conviced that it is a problem with Cyanogenmod ROM?

10. Donjo

Donjo Member
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    Pilot
    KORD
  11. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    Odd indeed, but then again, I rarely charge my battery(s) in the phone as I get no where near the same performance out of it (them) as I do with my above described method.

Sorry, I guess I can't help you much.

good luck

12. livinonthedge

livinonthedge Lurker
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    Austin, TX
    After about 20 hours over 3 days, of trying different methods of programming, I finally was able to install the Cyanogen 7.1.0 ROM. I liked using it for half a day before I had to switch back via restore. The battery was down to 3%. It wouldn't charge with the wall adapter I have been using. I then tried the USB cable with my computer.. Same thing, no charge. When I restored it back to the orignal, I found he

13. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    Is the wall adapter you have been using the OEM one that came with the A855? Also, do not expect very good charging performance out of a USB port, maybe half as good if that.

On another note, though my phone will charge just fine on CM 7.1, I do notice that it is a battery hog. I'm getting about 18 or less hours out of a charge these days. But then I'm probably using it alot more checking on the Galaxy Nexus ;)