• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cyanogenmod/custom ROM issues

lilrob1213

Sep 14, 2011
I recently installed the Ice Cream Sandwich theme cyanogenmod ROM (i think) on my LG Optimus V, but I had issues and it switched the functions of the volume keys, so when I rebooted into recovery mode, I hit the down volume button and instead of scrolling down through the menu it scrolled up. Then I hit the volume up button and it selected restore, so it restored my old ROM, but it didn't re-install any of my apps or contacts or even the android market and now I can't download things, such as the ROM manager app. Please help!

If your phone can be recognized by your PC then we'll get you straightened right up.
first try and see if you can go into settings/applications/development/ make sure the USB debugging box is checked.
Second, I will need to know what OS version you have. 2.2.1 or 2.2.2.
Third, did you install the flash_image when you installed the recovery or did you install the recovery from ROM Manager. Read this http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/419080-truth-about-rom-manager.html
Forth, what recovery did you install if you didn't install from ROM Manager.

If you have a PC go to the market's website and see if you can download the market app straight to your phone from there, over the air. This feature has been around for a few months now,and works very well.

Reactions: lilrob1213
Upvote 0
I have a Macbook Pro... will this help? Also, I had Android 2.2, but I went into about this phone and it says Android version 2.3.7. What happened was I wanted Ice Cream Sandwich, so I found the final edition of the ROM here: [ROM] ICSandwich2.3.7 - Final Edition [December 12, 2011] - xda-developers
but then I downloaded it, made a titanium backup, wiped dalvick cache, wiped data, and made a nandroid backup. Then I tried to flash zip from sd card and it showed up, but it kept going into the files in the folder, instead of unzipping the ROM?? And I did use ROM manager to flash my clockworkmod recovery (I still don't really know what all of this means lol). I will be checking on going to the market with my mac, but I tried to download the apps from my phone using the web browser, and it said it was already installed (from my previous version maybe but not this one).

Upvote 0
I have a Macbook Pro... will this help? Also, I had Android 2.2, but I went into about this phone and it says Android version 2.3.7. What happened was I wanted Ice Cream Sandwich, so I found the final edition of the ROM here: [ROM] ICSandwich2.3.7 - Final Edition [December 12, 2011] - xda-developers
but then I downloaded it, made a titanium backup, wiped dalvick cache, wiped data, and made a nandroid backup. Then I tried to flash zip from sd card and it showed up, but it kept going into the files in the folder, instead of unzipping the ROM?? And I did use ROM manager to flash my clockworkmod recovery (I still don't really know what all of this means lol). I will be checking on going to the market with my mac, but I tried to download the apps from my phone using the web browser, and it said it was already installed (from my previous version maybe but not this one).
You didn't need to wipe anything before making a backup. When you wiped data you wiped all your app data for all your apps that were installed on phone.
When you make a backup,wipe nothing. Just make the backup.

When trying to install a ROM you need to navigate to wherever it's at. Then select the ROM zip, then after it installs, select the gapps zip.

Upvote 0
The reason the phone's stock OS version is important is brought out in the link i provided.
Look at it, and determine the screen that you have. Then we can hook you up with the right recovery if you have the Hitachi screen.

I understand and I read your links but it doesn't say under about this phone and I don't think I have any of the original packaging. I bought it online in August, so it has been a while. Is there another way to determine this?

Upvote 0
You didn't need to wipe anything before making a backup. When you wiped data you wiped all your app data for all your apps that were installed on phone.
When you make a backup,wipe nothing. Just make the backup.

When trying to install a ROM you need to navigate to wherever it's at. Then select the ROM zip, then after it installs, select the gapps zip.

I didn't wipe the data before making my backup, I made a titanium backup before even trying anything, but now I don't even have the titanium backup app. Secondly, I tried to select the zip file of the ROM, but it went into the individual files of the zip folder instead of flashing the ROM (I've only done this once, but it worked just fine before and didn't go into individual files). And then it messed up, and now I don't know what button does what in the boot recovery mode so I can't select any of the options, such as flashing GApps.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know, if I had made the titanium backup, a nandroid backup (or whatever its called), and wiped the data and dalvick cache, would it do anything if I exited the recovery boot then? I think the problem was that I couldn't install the ROM for whatever reason, and it just wiped everything. Then, the buttons in the recovery boot wouldn't function as they did before and I would up selecting to restore an old recovery...? Now, neither of the buttons select anything in the recovery boot mode, so I can't even install a new ROM zip file if I wanted to (at least to my knowledge).

Upvote 0
This is straight from my thread:
If you have Android version 2.2.2 there's a very good possibility that you have an "S" screen. Do not try to flash the recovery from ROM Manager if you have an "S" screen at this time. This recovery is not compatible with your phone. This will mess up your phone and require a PC and lots of gnashing of teeth to possibly straightened it out. This is a hardware issue,not a software issue. To determine if you have an "S" screen, properly called a Hitachi screen, go here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...my-first-rom-recovery-switch.html#post3550058 If using a terminal emulator make sure you type in su first. adb shell, then after you see a #, su with command prompt. If you have the Hitachi screen then go here https://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android_device_lge_thunderc/wiki/Binary for a recovery that's compatible with that screen. If you need help with installing the flash_image, recovery, and making a backup just ask.

Do you see the link for determining what screen you have?

Upvote 0
This is straight from my thread:
If you have Android version 2.2.2 there's a very good possibility that you have an "S" screen. Do not try to flash the recovery from ROM Manager if you have an "S" screen at this time. This recovery is not compatible with your phone. This will mess up your phone and require a PC and lots of gnashing of teeth to possibly straightened it out. This is a hardware issue,not a software issue. To determine if you have an "S" screen, properly called a Hitachi screen, go here Summary...The Tale of my first ROM and recovery switch... If using a terminal emulator make sure you type in su first. adb shell, then after you see a #, su with command prompt. If you have the Hitachi screen then go here https://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android_device_lge_thunderc/wiki/Binary for a recovery that's compatible with that screen. If you need help with installing the flash_image, recovery, and making a backup just ask.

Do you see the link for determining what screen you have?

I don't see the link for what screen I have, but I saw it earlier in your thread (somewhere) but I don't see what recovery is compatible with the S screen? unless it is here: VM670NH_recovery.img
?

EDIT: I clicked the link for the recovery that could be compatible with the other screen, should I download this? and Try to flash it on my phone? I don't think I will be able to do this, because none of the buttons select any options in recovery boot mode.

Upvote 0
What's wrong with the buttons? On the VM670NH_recovery.img you scroll up/down with the volume rocker. You select with the camera button.
Are these what you used?

That is what I have used before, but now none of the buttons can select an item, the volume down button moves up on the list, the voice button moves down on the list and I'm not sure how they got messed up?

Upvote 0
When you used SuperOneClick did you use version 1.6.3.
Did you use the Shell Root button and then push su plus Busybox with a command prompt?
If not you need to open up a terminal emulator and type in su then hit the enter key.
If you get a # you still have root. If you get a $ then you lost root.

Upvote 0
When you used SuperOneClick did you use version 1.6.3.
Did you use the Shell Root button and then push su plus Busybox with a command prompt?
If not you need to open up a terminal emulator and type in su then hit the enter key.
If you get a # you still have root. If you get a $ then you lost root.

I'm not sure what version I used, but I don't have that computer anymore, and I think originally I clicked shell root but it didn't work, so I ended up doing the full root, and I did that in the terminal emulator and i got the #, so I am still rooted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones