• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cyanogenmod = Horrbile Battery life

for everyone having this battery issue, can you check under Settings > About Phone > System Updates to see if there is something there?

just wondering because i had a huge battery drain issue due to the fact that my phone kept trying to download and redownload the 2.1 OTA update. for some reason, BB0.9 didn't block the OTA but instead removed a file that caused the OTA to keep downloading over and over again. phone heated up and battery life kept dropping even when phone was mostly on standy throughout the day.

Upvote 0
for everyone having this battery issue, can you check under Settings > About Phone > System Updates to see if there is something there?

just wondering because i had a huge battery drain issue due to the fact that my phone kept trying to download and redownload the 2.1 OTA update. for some reason, BB0.9 didn't block the OTA but instead removed a file that caused the OTA to keep downloading over and over again. phone heated up and battery life kept dropping even when phone was mostly on standy throughout the day.

I used BB and never had that problem.

Upvote 0
weird. seems like only some people have that problem then. i know not everyone had it for some weird reason. but otacerts was removed completely and this caused the 2.1 OTA to keep dling over and over. after downloading otacerts from another forum and putting it in the appropriate dir and allowing the update to "install", the problem went away. so i dunno. just a suggestion because i thought BB was supposed to block OTA updates too but i had the problem anyway.

Upvote 0
I'm running the newest cyanogenmod and a low voltage 1ghz kernel @ 800mhz. Battery life since I made the switch the past 2 days has been pretty good. Moderate usage and was at 50% when I went to bed last night. Pretty good if you ask me. And my cell standby has been 23% of battery usage. Time without cell signal is at 50%. But that can't be right.

Upvote 0
right now i am running jrummy's latest rom with no success. i just updated and so far i am not impressed when it comes to battery life. i took my phone off the charger last night at 100% and made sure no tasks were running in the backround. made sure my screen was off and i put it on my night stand. i just woke up and my battery is at 80% by just idleing! i went to battery use and call that 51% is cell standby. i will try again tonight with the airplane mode fix but i swear i have done that several times...

Upvote 0
right now i am running jrummy's latest rom with no success. i just updated and so far i am not impressed when it comes to battery life. i took my phone off the charger last night at 100% and made sure no tasks were running in the backround. made sure my screen was off and i put it on my night stand. i just woke up and my battery is at 80% by just idleing! i went to battery use and call that 51% is cell standby. i will try again tonight with the airplane mode fix but i swear i have done that several times...

Wait how much time was it off the charger? Cause if it was the whole night (8 hours) and you are still at 80% that is pretty good... Even if the phone is idleing there are still processes that will start and stop.

As far as the 51% cell standby issue, everything that I have seen has shown that this is a weird bug that happens to all Droids rooted or not. There are different variations of it as well, What does it say for "Time On" and what percentange of the battery is it showing it used (not the standby percentage but the actual battery used)? My understanding is that the bug that most people are seeing is a display issue and it will show the Time On as double what it should be. This does not drain the battery and is what most people have, the one that actually drains the battery is very rare.

Upvote 0
Wait how much time was it off the charger? Cause if it was the whole night (8 hours) and you are still at 80% that is pretty good... Even if the phone is idleing there are still processes that will start and stop.

As far as the 51% cell standby issue, everything that I have seen has shown that this is a weird bug that happens to all Droids rooted or not. There are different variations of it as well, What does it say for "Time On" and what percentange of the battery is it showing it used (not the standby percentage but the actual battery used)? My understanding is that the bug that most people are seeing is a display issue and it will show the Time On as double what it should be. This does not drain the battery and is what most people have, the one that actually drains the battery is very rare.

It was prob off the charger for about 6 - 7 hours. I will leave it plugged in all night and see if that makes a difference tomorrow morning.

Upvote 0
Update: I decided to try Cyanogenmod V5.0.6.2 with Smoked Glass-Esque V1.5.1 and I couldnt be happier! Best battery life i think i have ever had with my phone with moderate to heavy usage today. I have had it off the charger since 6 this morning and did alot of texting, picture and video recording, and just plugged it in with 20% left! Looks might I may be staying on this one for some time [:

Upvote 0
Here is my experience.

I was haveing bad battery life with CM 5.0.6.2 and all previous versions, so I did as someone suggested and turned off the percentage battery indicator. I also changed back to the stock home in RomManager.

Prior to those changes, under settings > about Phone > Battery Use it was always showing Mediaserver taking up a large portion of battery used. Well for the last several days Mediaserver has not been running at all and my battery life has been GREAT.

I don't know why Mediaserver was running before, as I had no media running. I do not listen to anything on my phone. or play games.

I hope this helps someone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones