• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cyanogenmod Nightlies

OMJ

Bazinga
Nov 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I have seen some discussion of CM Nightlies and thought it needed a proper thread.

First off these are experimental builds and may very well be broken. They are compiled by a bot and not a person and have not been tested.

Now thats out of the way. These builds have been very stable for me.

Due to the fact that builds change daily the Rom Rating System will not apply to this thread. There wont be a poll and reviewers there is no need to write a detailed review of these builds.

Nightlies can be found in Rom Manager or downloaded from
Index of /cm/nightly/sholes/

There really is no list of features or a easy to read/understand changelog for the nightlies.

The following link will show changes between the last two builds but it is links to commits on github which can sometimes be confusing.
Changes in cm_sholes_full

You can also browse the Cyanogenmod Github and look at commits there to see changes although not all commits pertain to the Droid
CyanogenMod's Profile - GitHub

To get this going here are some highlights of what is available in the current nightly (8/10) that is not available in RC2.(As far as I remember its been awhile since I was using RC2)

Customizable notification bar color
Customizable LED Notification Colors for Messaging, Google Voice, Gmail, and Gtalk
Customizable Automatic backlight settings
Customizable Screen timeout delay
Toggle on off of the Prompt when choosing to shutdown or reboot your phone.
Lockscreen Music Controls
Customizable Haptic Feedback
DSP Manager now included - Its a audio equalizer
Videos app now included - Similar to the music app but for videos
There are definitely more changes but these are the highlights that come to mind quickly

Upvote 0
To get this going here are some highlights of what is available in the current nightly (8/10) that is not available in RC2.(As far as I remember its been awhile since I was using RC2)

Customizable notification bar color
Customizable LED Notification Colors for Messaging, Google Voice, Gmail, and Gtalk
Customizable Automatic backlight settings
Customizable Screen timeout delay
Toggle on off of the Prompt when choosing to shutdown or reboot your phone.
Lockscreen Music Controls
Customizable Haptic Feedback
DSP Manager now included - Its a audio equalizer
Videos app now included - Similar to the music app but for videos
There are definitely more changes but these are the highlights that come to mind quickly

Customizable Power Widget. Don't think that was in RC2. Allows the option of toggling 2g/3g rather than cutting data completely, although I haven't figured out how to work it completely (doesn't seem to toggle for me unless I toggle data on/off)

Upvote 0
Customizable Power Widget. Don't think that was in RC2. Allows the option of toggling 2g/3g rather than cutting data completely, although I haven't figured out how to work it completely (doesn't seem to toggle for me unless I toggle data on/off)

I knew I was forgetting a big one. I havent played with the 2g/3g setting since I dont have battery life issues but I love being able to customize the power bar. I never turn sync off so it always drove me nuts that being on there

Upvote 0
I knew I was forgetting a big one. I havent played with the 2g/3g setting since I dont have battery life issues but I love being able to customize the power bar. I never turn sync off so it always drove me nuts that being on there

I have battery issues at one job where I have to keep my phone lockered. It helps being able to turn off 3g as the signal is horrible (metal locker in a metal building). I am now able to leave there without a dead battery. I was amazed as I am now able to go almost two days without charge (with moderate/heavy usage). I used to think it was just internet tall-tales.

Upvote 0
I have battery issues at one job where I have to keep my phone lockered. It helps being able to turn off 3g as the signal is horrible (metal locker in a metal building). I am now able to leave there without a dead battery. I was amazed as I am now able to go almost two days without charge (with moderate/heavy usage). I used to think it was just internet tall-tales.

I was running RC2 two weekends ago when I went away for a trip to a remote area in the Pennsylvanian wilderness (the boonies LOL). I turned the 3G off cause we didn't have 3G coverage there.

Trick was that I had to restart my phone to get the data to come back on. having the ability to take away JUST the 3G option (and not data entirely) is cool and probably would help with re-connectivity issues.

Upvote 0
also, according to twitter:
Everyone asking about Google's fixes for AAC audio, they were pulled into cm6 yesterday.

So theoretically, the build from 8/10/2010 should incorporate the fixes for the AAC+ issue.

Can anyone confirm?

Commit 01855768c9791d479ba02075e47f45d24e3752df to CyanogenMod's android_packages_apps_Music - GitHub

Theres the commit I think. I cant actually test it out now though because I am at work and playing music from my phone would be frowned upon.

Upvote 0
One feature which i miss alot from CM 5 is the special keyboards that came up when you clicked into certain text boxes like the browser url text box, or the email text box. It had special keys like .com, and www on them.

I hope they plan on adding these back in.

RC2 was kind of misleading for me. I'm used to RC meaning release candidate. But they are obviously still adding many features...and perhaps this isn't as close to an actual release yet as I thought it was.

Joe

Upvote 0
RC2 was kind of misleading for me. I'm used to RC meaning release candidate. But they are obviously still adding many features...and perhaps this isn't as close to an actual release yet as I thought it was.
Joe

CM is always having features added. If they only released when they were not adding features there would never be a release.

Upvote 0
It's a nightly, so everything is apt to bugs, but can a CM compatible theme be themed over these nightlies? Or should I just keep it stock?

[Theme] Smoked Glass mini-port with HTC icons - 6.0.0 (for RC2 and nightlies) - CyanogenMod Forum

Thats the only theme that I know of that regularly gets updated with the nightlies. There may be others but Im not sure. I personally just use the built in options and change the status bar and pulldown to black and fix the notification colors that should be white. But I have never had a lot of interest in themes.

I wouldnt use anything meant for RC2 it probably wont work.

Reactions: yufice
Upvote 0
[Theme] Smoked Glass mini-port with HTC icons - 6.0.0 (for RC2 and nightlies) - CyanogenMod Forum

Thats the only theme that I know of that regularly gets updated with the nightlies. There may be others but Im not sure. I personally just use the built in options and change the status bar and pulldown to black and fix the notification colors that should be white. But I have never had a lot of interest in themes.

I wouldnt use anything meant for RC2 it probably wont work.

It's a nightly, so everything is apt to bugs, but can a CM compatible theme be themed over these nightlies? Or should I just keep it stock?

In addition to what OMJ said about the status bar and pulldown I'm running the Nightlies and use ADW Launcher which now gives you the option of Theme Preferences (I'm using Droid X). It does not fully theme your phone but just the icons, but it's better than nothing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones