• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CyanogenMod to take Google out of Android - Microsoft investing

CafeKampuchia

Android Expert
Dec 8, 2011
Pursat, Cambodia
Says Kirt McMaster, CEO of CyanogenMod:
We’re making a version of Android that is more open so we can integrate with more partners so their servicers can be tier one services, so startups working on [artificial intelligence] or other problems don’t get stuck having you have to launch a stupid little application that inevitably gets acquired by Google or Apple. These companies can thrive on non-Google Android.
We’ve barely scratched the surface in regards to what mobile can be. Today, Cyanogen has some dependence on Google. Tomorrow, it will not. We will not be based on some derivative of Google in three to five years. There will be services that are doing the same old bulls— with Android, and then there will be something different. That is where we’re going here.
Google is running the table, and nobody likes that.

Android Authority mentions plans for CyanogenMod to have its own app store in 18 months.

Source

So, what do you all think of this?

Same guy from the Micromax / OPO dustup - I have the same thought as the top comment there.

I'm amazed that people still call CM an AOSP rom - it's been it's own thing for a long while.

Where the CM community will go vs CM, Inc. should prove interesting.

As far as opening an app store and getting away from all Google services - ummm... OK.

Anything is possible in three to five years - including this guy self-destructing.

Upvote 0
Amazon has a few of the same apps. If CM can get my reference and astronomy apps, I'd go. I only use Play anyway.
If I want music or books, I buy from independents. I won't use Amazon for ebooks, B&N, Google. I will buy hard copy books from Amazon, although I usually have better luck on Alibris.

CM is moving into India. Indians were big Nokia users at one point. I used to read their Symbian fora in English.

Trouble is, everyone seems to be going for a "nanny" approach to any OS. Some of the rumors about Windows 10 make me not want it. I'm watching for the Vulcan's info. He won't read it.

One of the Chinese phone mfg, just bought HP's Palm or WebOS. If they make that backward compatible or build in an emulator to the old Palm stuff if possible, I'd like that, too. I have all my software yet.

I think the more reputable stores, the better for all. While I don't care for Google at times, there is no way I'd deny anyone who wants all the goodies Google offers. It's their phone or tablet, and their free choice.

Upvote 0
I'm personally fine with this move, if they can really pull it off. I don't care much about Google services besides Maps and the Play Store. My contacts can be synced elsewhere. And I prefer CM to AOSP and OEM skins.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with Google Maps because no one else has SE Asia covered for free.
Same guy from the Micromax / OPO dustup - I have the same thought as the top comment there.

Anything is possible in three to five years - including this guy self-destructing.
^^^ Yup.

Edit:
BTW, it should be mentioned that CM has in one sense already taken Google out of its ROMs. If you install CM, it comes without any Google services or Apps. Those have to be added with a gapps package separate from the ROM. I think they are really taking about replacing Google services with products from CM and other vendors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I recall correctly, AOSP roms aren't suppose to contain google services by default as I recall CM getting into legal issues with Google over that in the past. I believe I found this tweet that Steve Kondik posted during the issue:

Sorry everyone, CyanogenMod in it’s current state is done. I am violating Google’s license by redistributing their applications. The only thing we can do is develop an open-source replacement for the most important parts. I do plan to release a “bare bones” version of CM as 4.2, and the source code will remain available. Unfortunately, I feel this is a chilling effect for the entire Android community, since what we are doing is now considered illegal.

This more or less set that precedent to sever gapps from AOSP roms. As for their own app store, we've seen Amazon do this with mild success but not outstanding, same thing with Samsung. CM doesn't have the name recognition that those companies have so I remain skeptical that it will be successful in the US. Their true target is likely parts of the world not dominated by Apple, Google, and Amazon.

Upvote 0
Enabling CM to function entirely without relying on Google for anything is a great idea, and I'm eager to see them achieve that goal. I know a lot of people want to use Android without being tied to Google, so this would be a great thing for those folks.

I also love to see CM and others build apps and services that can compete with what Google provides - even if I don't use them personally it makes the community as a whole stronger. I'm not sure if having another app store that can run on Android is a brilliant solution (fragmentation much?); it might make more sense for them to partner with one of the existing open-source markets (fdroid?).

Upvote 0
... and CM may be getting $70M some money from Microsoft (of all places) to make this dream a reality:
According to a report from The Wall Street Journal, Microsoft will be investing $70 million in Cyanogen, Inc., the Android ROM builder. The report says that $70 million would make Microsoft a "minority investor" in a round of financing that values Cyanogen in the "high hundreds of millions."

[source]

Edit: Ars apparently fails at reading comprehension sometimes. From the WSJ article:
Microsoft would be a minority investor in a roughly $70 million round of equity financing that values Cyanogen in the high hundreds of millions, one of the people said. The person said the financing round could grow with other strategic investors that have expressed interest in Cyanogen because they’re also eager to diminish Google’s control over Android. The identity of the other potential investors couldn’t be learned.

That (to me, at least) says that Microsoft's investment will just be a piece of that $70M whole.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's nothing wrong with Nokia phones. The old ones lasted. I liked my C6 (Symbian), and the Vulcan liked the 6085. The C6 wasn't an American phone. There were other phones not available here. The C6 is still in use. Kid uses it on TMO when she hits the States. She's a texter and likes the keyboard. (it has a slide out keyboard from under the screen). If Nokia goes back to building decent durable phones, it would be nice.

I wouldn't mind some innovation.

Re: reference.

I can already get my apps on iOS. Most were written for iOS first. I went looking for them on first acquiring a phone that ran apps. Only on iOS. Had to wait for Android. I've seen the same apps I run on iOS. They are a lot more complete and smoother. There's features that Android doesn't support. I just don't like iPhones or the "we know what's best" attitude.

I've corresponded with some authors of apps I had on Palm and asked why they only updated for Apple. Most said ot was easier to do the coding so the app ran totally the way they wanted which was why they didn't write for Android. Most apps were fairly technical. Medical apps were also on Palm and switched to iOS. A lot of education uses idevices.

Anyone who can break that usage and supply a product that works as well would be welcome. The NFL is using Surface tablets, so maybe MS is getting some smarts and realizing their way needs some refining to get really competitive.

I still wouldn't want them to be the be-all and end-all for my use.

All I use are reference apps, so I can have or will offer no comment on games, social, cloud, office, entertainment and business apps.

Upvote 0
I think we share your sentiments, zuben, at least I do.

It's not the Nokia phones - it's what happened to them when Elop came in as a quisling, gutting the staff, throwing out the R&D and paving the way for the Microsoft takeover.

And it's about being cautious where Microsoft is concerned and not in any fanboy sense.

Microsoft made some Linux acquisition(s) and got busy with patents - and promptly applied them to Android makers, back when Android was small and the old Windows phone was bigger.

And that's not a complaint, it's just the nature of business.

For years after the Windows phone decline, Microsoft was making more per year off of the Android licenses than their own mobile products.

So going after Nokia was smart but done bargain basement rather than upping the competition. The Nokia R&D team had just about completed a new smartphone version of a rewrite of their old operating system - by early accounts, it could have developed quickly into a game changer.

And they scrapped it to drive the price of the company down.

Innovation and competitive advantage for us - poof - gone.

Replaced in the new lineup with Windows phone, that no one wanted and still doesn't (poetic license taken on "no one" OK, it's a small player).

So, what's Microsoft's interest?

Just invest, because technology sector, and nice for the portfolio if the CM Inc goes somewhere?

Possible under new management but that's not historically characteristic.

Usually they do this to buy a look into the private matters of the firm at hand, and usually with an eye on a merger or acquisition.

Let's logically assume (with lots of what if's swept under the rug) that they acquire CM Inc.

What are the possible outcomes?

OK, a whole new game with CM know how and Microsoft market and financial muscle. Open or closed (closed knowing Microsoft) they could marry it to Nokia hardware and we'd all be happy shoppers with a new choice.

Cool!

Or - they could exploit our broken patent system, get patents after the fact, go for shutdown of free CM roms and find a way to up the Android licensing fees.

They did it already with Linux and Android and are now quite expert and experienced on that.

And then never put out a CM phone, just use the technology to hamper competition. They've done that before too. Microsoft is not afraid of playing hardball.

Result - less choice to us, higher prices for what we already have.

Not cool for us.

Or - they do a combination, driving Android prices up and then price their offering appropriately higher.

We get competitive innovation on their side, less on the Android side, but the entire market gets an artificial price inflation.

Very not cool for us.

There's the problem - what will they do with an opportunity for control?

The early Windows phone was danged good, downright excellent in some respects.

But when faced with competition the last time, they did everything wrong.

What will they do with this?

Upvote 0
Oh and they just released Office for Android
On tablets for preview.

Also, Outlook is coming, here's the preview -

http://phandroid.com/2015/01/29/microsoft-office-outlook-android-preview/

I'm excited about that one. The only *real* Exchange ActiveSync support is built in to the HTC Mail, no doubt a side benefit of producing the Windows phone for years.

In my opinion, unlike Office, the Outlook replacement apps haven't been as good as the HTC offering - and not a slam on those devs, you work with what you got and Microsoft cooperates at the little to none level on their APIs.

So maybe the Outlook solution will help those needing real Exchange support, without an HTC.

Btw, here's the missing piece in all Androids for Exchange calendar support -

Check out "Team Calendar Sync"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teamsite.android.calendar.generated

Works like a champ!

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I've been on OSX and Android for so long and worked at so many start-ups I've grown to hate MS Office. I use Google for just about everything. (although now I'm back at a big corp)

Once upon a time I used to be quite a fan of Office on PC.... but I do believe dinosaurs roamed the earth back then.

Don't mind me though -- I'm just bitter that active sync device admin rules break my bluetooth trusted device and makes me use a pin :)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I can't tell you how many times I've had this conversation -

I need a new pc, can you spec it for me?

What do you need to do?

I need to run Office and have something good. Beyond that I don't care.

Do you like Office?

I hate Office but everyone sends me Office documents, so that's the deal.

~~~~

I'd wager that most of Windows has sold because that suite is the killer app for business.

Upvote 0
Working for employers who required everything to be Windows is why I had to give up Linux.. trying to stay on top of Linux while half of my waking hours required me to troubleshoot Windows was just too much.

Tunnel in from home? uh, you must be running Windows or we won't allow you to do that.

Now, being retired and soaked into the dinosaur, it is too hard to get away from Windows.... so I stick with my Win7 box with Office 7 on it. it will never be updated.

Upvote 0
I think CM and Windows will put out a phone. The question is will it be in the US? Nokia used to be all over India and points east. Windows tried and Apple is working on it. CM is releasing phones in India, one Oppo came with the choice of CM as the OS, so that would be a more emerging market than here and with people familiar with CM as an OS. If they put one out compatible with TMO bands, I'd try it.

I think LibreOffice will read most MS documents (It did deal with WordPerfect, too.) Newer 4.4 just out. The Vulcan can't run Office 97 on Windows 7 so he uses that. About Exchange - I've never used it.

I can get a sideways upgrade for Docs to Go. I still have my Palm copy. Used to be software called Hijaak. It converted just about anything. I used it for converting CorelDraw to Illustrator clip art.

WordPerfect is still around. It's popular in legal since it's easy to do pleadings. I haven't seen that since WP9.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Once Adobe and Quark started putting out programs for Windows, that entrenched Windows even more. If you wanted, you could do all your desktop publishing inhouse, and any printer would accept the formats of either. Printing services hated Publisher documents.

That pleased IT, since Windows could do all, and they didn't have to tie Apple security into the mix.

Upvote 0
CM dropped One Plus abruptly - Micromax now has exclusive distribution on Indian phones.

Word Perfect was popular because it was widely pirated (with lawyers definitely participating in that lol) and you could figure it out without a manual, and allowed firms to downgrade professional secretary requirements. Free Word Perfect for everyone! Woo hoo! It was an absolute piece of crap in every possible way and the only people who were never proper users of WordStar believed that Word Perfect was in any way advanced or innovative - the hilarious on-going myth that still hasn't died. I can name several CP/M word processors that ran circles around it.

I predict that just like what happened with Nokia, and quite obvious to those following it in real time and laughing at later so-called exposés, this entire CM/Microsoft deal is destined to be retconned to death in the future until it fits with new hilarious myths rather than facts.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones