1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

CyberNav 7" Android 2.2 -Can it be rooted?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KTF, Jan 14, 2012.

1. KTF

KTF Member
    None

May 31, 2010
    I recently bought one of these off ebay and was wondering if it cold be rooted so Cyanogen or similar could be installed.

The listing has many pictures, etc but I can provide screenshots if needed:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250936803383?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Image here: http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/dracotek/7_inch_GPS_navigation_with_WIFI_android_2_2_OS_GPS70YW_08.jpg

Specifications:
    Screen
    Screen Size: 7"
    Screen resolution: 800*480
    Touch screen type: Resistive
    O/S: Android 2.2
    GPS chip: SiRF Star IV
    CPU: infotmic Infotmic ARM11 800MHz Processor + HD video codec + 3D graphic accelerator (up to 1GHz)
    RAM: 256MB DDR2
    Internal memory: 4 GB

Googling doesn't seem to have any information rooting this tablet. I assume it is a rebrand or clone of another one but any ideas which one and if it can be rooted?

Advertisement

2. pgdroid

pgdroid Lurker
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Sorry - don't have your answer to your question about rooting, but came across your post searching for more info on the cybernav device itself. Have you used it at all with the 2.2 build and onboard gps? Is it usable at all, or is it one of these "get what you pay for" things? I cannot even find a video of it running, so I am being careful before I order one on EBay.

Thanks

3. KTF

KTF Member
    None

May 31, 2010
    For the money it seems OK. The screen is bright, clear and responsiveness from the screen (whilst not as good as a high end smartphone screen) seems fine - picks up finger placement and switches between panels with little lag.

Wifi works, GPS works, movies playback without and stuttering and you can use it as an FM transmitter as well so you can listen to MP3, movies, etc through your car radio. No lockups or crashes (yet) either.

It does have a custom 2.2 build on it with no option to install upgrades but all the google stuff is there and you can install and update apps from the Market.

It was bought to use as a data logger for gliding but unfortunately the application (XC Soar) hangs on a driver issue by the looks of it hence the question about whether it can be rooted to try a different version of Android on it instead.

XC Soar not running is the only problem I have had with it so if you are looking for something to use for web browser, movie playback or whatever then it should be fine.

4. pgdroid

pgdroid Lurker
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    OK thanks for your response!

5. ashyk36

ashyk36 Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    For navigation can you simply use googlemaps navigation?

Also the sound output of the headphone jack is it clear and good? (bass etc) I was looking at one of these to put in my car to serve the purpose of a nav and music player.

It would be nice if ICS could be ported to it, i guess if they have put their custom rom on you could port ICS to it in that case?

Thank you in advance

6. KTF

KTF Member
    None

May 31, 2010
    Yes, you can use either google maps for navigation or their own brand navigation software that comes with it. Have tested both and it works fine.

Both the headphones and the FM link sound fine to my ears.

I believe the problem is finding the right drivers for the hardware which is why you cant just put on cyanogen (or whatever) as a lot of the hardware may not work correctly which is why there are builds for specific devices.

7. ashyk36

ashyk36 Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    what if you could find out what the hardware was, then compare it with other tablets with the same hardware. Whats the chances of this?

Is the preinstalled maps any good by the way?

8. KTF

KTF Member
    None

May 31, 2010
    Tbh, I didn't really really play around with the pre-installed maps as I prefer Google maps for navigation, etc. but they seem ok - not as good as google maps though imo...

I will put Elixir on it to get the hardware stats then see how it compares to other ones.

9. ashyk36

ashyk36 Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    1 last thing. could you tell me the dimensions of the screen in cm please

10. KTF

KTF Member
    None

May 31, 2010
    I have now sold the tablet on to someone else so wont be able to any more questions about it.

11. kaitracid99

kaitracid99 Lurker
    None

Jun 2, 2012
    I have used
    ROOTER SON SMARTPHONE ANDROID
    AVEC UNLOCK ROOT 2.3.0
    and it worked