• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

cycling with phone?

RobGAjax

Lurker
May 3, 2014
I am after an android phone to take on cycling training rides and on indoor trainer.

I have been using S3 (i9305 LTE version). But this needs a On-The-Go USB dongle to connect to my bike sensors, runs out of battery quickly when using GPS and occasionally shakes out its SIM due to vibration.

I use this app:

IpBike | iforpowell.com

Things im looking for are:

1. Battery life (I do 6hr+ rides with gps on).
2. ANT+ connectivity
3. Vibration resistant (my S3 keeps disconnecting the SIM due to vibration when I mount it to the bars)
4. Water resistant / proof (not essential)
5. Decent screen

I looked at S5 but im not convinced ...perhaps M8??

Any suggestions?

I cycle with my S21 Ultra. Samsung's health app works well with cycling though I only tried it a couple of times and prefer my on tracking time-distance. I use the phone to steam tunes while I'm riding and it's good insurance while on the road. There are many different phone holders for bikes. I purchased one that worked well. When I changed bikes earlier this year, I did not mount the phone holder. I like carrying it in my jersey pocket better. I don't need a heads up display to track my rides but it's a great alternative to those that are interested in tracking progress.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones