• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cydia like app for android???

Is there any app that is like cydia that has a lot of cool tweaks and enhancements for android?

not sure on this one. never owned any apple products and never seen cydia in action. so not really sure what you are looking for. there are not that many rooted app programs and all of them are available on the market.

Upvote 0
No lol I wish it's easier and more user friendly lol and pretty cool. But when it comes to customizing android>iOS u just have to know how

It is user friendly, it is just different. Like switching cars or jobs simply give it a bit of time to grow used to the new ways of doing things.

Humans are creatures of habit and get annoyed when things change, even though we claim to always want new and exciting things :)

Reactions: novox77 and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Customizing android is a bit overwhelming at first, but once you get the basics down it really isn't that bad.
Check out the Mario thread in my signature, it has steps to customize your phone without any rooting necessary. Now I have created a few battery mods I really haven't distributed too widely, and its not that hard to customize the "hardwired" look of your phone.
When I get on my pc tonight I'll post up a link for 2 guides I use to theme, and create mods. It'll take a while, but once you have the eureka moment, its nothin but gravy. :)
If you have any questions ask away, and look out for Extremedays, he's better than me at modding. ;)

Upvote 0
I have a jailbroken itouch with cydia and winterboard, and as far as i can tell cydia is mainly theming stuff... There is the kitchen for that, but beyond theming, i cant quite work out what youre trying to achieve... fill us in on what youre trying to do brah :) im sure we can get done what you need to get done

Upvote 0
Ok, here are the links you can use to get learned on themeing and such. This is more than just using an app, this is changing the framework and .apk files. You are changing the images the phone references in the /system partition. You'll understand more once you read these guides.
The Impalers guide to themeing:
[GUIDE] Want to learn how to theme? - xda-developers
The Ultimate Themeing Guide:
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AcdxIJRSH9ypZGZzc2pxNDlfMjdnazk4OHNxZA&hl=en

The ultimate themeing guide used to be on xda, but apparently jairomeo has beef with the mods over there, and he removed it. O' snap! I found it elsewhere. :D

Upvote 0
Is there any app that is like cydia that has a lot of cool tweaks and enhancements for android?

Cydia is a 3rd-party market for iOS and contains apps that require a jailbreak to run. By itself, Cydia does not give iOS any features; it's just a marketplace.

On the Android side, rooted apps are in the Market because Google doesn't care if you root your phone or not. So there is no need for a Cydia equivalent.

Also, a lot of customization can be done via the ROM you flash or the launcher you use. Custom kernels make the most out of your hardware and typically enable/enhance things that the manufacturer didn't give you.

There are no custom kernels or ROMs on iOS because the source code for the kernel and iOS are not available for developers to tinker with. Therefore, the customizations you can make to an iOS device are limited.

Reactions: ocnbrze and andygu3
Upvote 0
I have a jailbroken itouch with cydia and winterboard, and as far as i can tell cydia is mainly theming stuff... There is the kitchen for that, but beyond theming, i cant quite work out what youre trying to achieve... fill us in on what youre trying to do brah :) im sure we can get done what you need to get done

Thats completly wrong cydia is for all sorts of stuff mainly tweaking and add ons I just got an s3 for the freedom because jailbreak is dyeing but the simplicity of the ios even jailbreaking tweaking is so simple on the iphone. I wish it was as easy on the galaxy ive read up on roms and its just to much involed and risky on bricking, an iphone cant never be bricked, android is great for costimizing but iphone is better for tweaking when jailbroken thier should be a cydia like store for android in order to keep track on whats new with a lists of things that u can add plus tweak

Reactions: Omar Days
Upvote 0
I just got an s3 for the freedom because jailbreak is dyeing but the simplicity of the ios even jailbreaking tweaking is so simple on the iphone. I wish it was as easy on the galaxy ive read up on roms and its just to much involed and risky on bricking, an iphone cant never be bricked,

1st thought, Same thing every 18yr old has to learn when they leave mommy and daddy's house: "With great freedom comes great responsibility." It sounds to me like you WANT freedom on your device, but you don't want to take the training wheels off and risk a scrape or two. Maybe you're just not ready for a real phone, and you need to go back to the little kid phone with the rubber bumpers on it.

2nd thought, If you can FOLLOW DIRECTIONS, the android community will bend over backwards to help and make sure you don't brick your device. If you follow proper protocol, like CWM, nandroid backups, full battery when flashing, watching models/versions closely, etc, it's actually REALLY DIFFICULT to do anything you can't get back out of.

Last thought, Welcome to the big leagues! As was said above, we have no use for a Cydia, as we work with the manufacturers and developers, (sorta) not AGAINST them. Apple is constantly telling you "Thou shall not..." Android's motto is more like "Sure, why not?" lol Apple makes you jailbreak because they want to limit what you can do. They want to be able to upcharge you for things it should have done right outta the box. They only make Android devices non-root from the store either because the provider requested it, (ATT, Verizon, etc) or for the same reason your company gives you a computer with you logon as "User" instead of Administrator... to protect the ignorant from themselves. (To stop the average button presser from deleting system files and such...)

So buck up, step up, and JUST DO IT! If you brick it, remember, insurance doesn't cover software tampering, but it DOES cover loss, theft, and fubar. ;-)

I know it sounds like I'm ranting, but it really is meant with a positive attitude... Read, read, read, download, read some more, copy to phone, keep reading, FLASH!!

Upvote 0
IPhone is crap mate that's why not brickable :banghead:
If u have a Google nexus king of android that is not brick able as well. More over no phone is if u do it properly. iPhone gets no customization at all UI remains the same always :thumbdown:

Not true. There are some phones that you can brick pretty easily because of how manufacturers lock them down and then keep source code a secret. I saw many people permanently brick a GSII right after Android 4.0 was released.

If you are careful and do things correctly and follow directions, it is difficult to brick permanently, but not always impossible.

You are correct though, the Nexus line is the king of Android and what Google intended Android to be

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
IOS > Android because of simplicity, popularity (who doesn't have an iPhone. Everyone on TV has one and the president wanted an iPhone but isn't allowed), minimalistics, and apple in general is more focused on all aspects of how you use the device (unlike Samsung who just throws in random features people may not use like smart scrolling)

IOS is only down on customizable factors (oh wait you can jailbreak)

On top of iPhone being more simplistic, their more customizable as well because cydia is the most easy, straightforward, app store for tweaks, themes, and addons as well)

Let's face it people, no one in the normal world involved in society would know how or what rooting is. I know the same goes for jailbreaking as well since its a geeky thing but not one person I know with android has even heard of that. Rant over, bye

- coming from someone who owns a galaxy s4 and jailbroken ipod touch 5g

Upvote 0
IOS > Android because of simplicity, popularity (who doesn't have an iPhone. Everyone on TV has one and the president wanted an iPhone but isn't allowed),

Probably security reasons. Think for a long time it was the special Presidential BlackBerry he had to use. What's he got now, a special Presidential 'droid? That's hardened and secured against eavesdropping etc.?

Upvote 0
IOS is only down on customizable factors (oh wait you can jailbreak)

On top of iPhone being more simplistic, their more customizable as well because cydia is the most easy, straightforward, app store for tweaks, themes, and addons as well)

Let's face it people, no one in the normal world involved in society would know how or what rooting is. Not one person I know with android has even heard of that. Rant over, bye

TBH I don't think that maybe 99.9% of regular iPhone users would have ever heard of "jailbreak" or "Cydia" either. Those are really geek type things, and not going to hear them from Apple, carriers or tabloid newspapers. They just install their apps and things from iTunes, make phone calls, do Facebook, etc. things that most regular cellphone users might do.

Probably buying iPhones, because that's what Justin Bieber or whatever uses. And if he's seen with a white Samsung S4 instead, well I'll have one of those now. Or, oh what's all these phones with large screens that I see these days?

Another thing, most of the apps and games distributed via jailbreak and Cydia are pirated and illegal, i.e. copyright infringement. And may well be harbouring malware as well. The iTunes Store is really the only legal distribution path for iOS apps and games, unless it's your own stuff or you have the copyright holder's permission. Which certainly won't be things like EA, Gameloft or Rovio.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones