1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

D2G Account Setup without Data Service

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dcsouthgw, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Dcsouthgw

Dcsouthgw New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Az
    So I just had my first droid phone given to me. I have been a fan, but never owned one. I don't want to activate it with Verizon, because I have a cheap plan and cheap date with my non android phone. I want this one to just be a wifi only device.
    I can bypass the activation screen, but when I try to register this phone with my gmail, it tries to use the data connection that isn't on. I set up my wifi and can access the web on it, but I can't get it to use the wifi to activate the accounts and set up the sync. I have the data connections off and wifi on. Airplane mode isn't engaged. I have tried everything I can think of, but it still says it can't establish a reliable data connection. I did read something on google site that says devices should be able to setup and sync via wifi, but this isn't working.
    Please help...DC.

Advertisement

2. themib

themib Well-Known Member

you have engage airplane, then restart wifi

3. Dcsouthgw

Dcsouthgw New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Az
    I just tried it with airplane mode engaged and it didn't work. I checked the wifi and it was on. I toggled data on and off...no good. I even tried it with background data on and off. Any other ideas?
    DC

4. Dcsouthgw

Dcsouthgw New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Az
    So I figured it out. I had to log into my gmail acct in the android browser and then I was prompted to link it to the phone. Thanks for all of the help.