1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

D3 rooted and running ICS- new user please help!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cjs1889, Apr 26, 2012.

1. cjs1889

cjs1889 Lurker

hey folks. this is my first post so any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

recently decided to root my D3 and now am running Android's 4 Ice cream sandwich. it was a fairly easy process and love the new operating system.

I use my phone for the basics, texting (the majority), phone calls, occasional gmail, facebook browsing, etc.

The only thing that has stumped me so far is the BATTERY LIFE. The first day after installing ICS, my battery stayed in the 90% for the longest time, played music for about 3 hours and was texting back and forth. decided to try out the tethering feature and i noticed my battery life took a dive to about 40%. i expected alot of battery use but not this much. turned off tethering and went back to normal phone use.

didnt plug my phone in and went to sleep. woke up the next morning morning with 2% battery left. charged my phone to 100%- took it off the charger and noticed that the phone is just eating battery and I have not even used besides to send a few texts. down to 40% in about 5 hours of very minimal use.

the only thing that is synced at the moment is gmail. no facebook/twitter/etc. wifi and gps are disabled

HOW THE HECK TO YOU MANAGE THE BATTERY LIFE? ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

I'm no expert at this, as I run the D3 stock, but there are several ICS builds for the D3. Which one are you running? Perhaps you should just try another?

3. redsox985

redsox985 Android Enthusiast

Something mustn't be right. At it's worst, AOKP, the biggest battery hog, used at most 10% per hour in my experience (high school senior, gauge that usage!). I now use Steel Droid 5.1 because it's essentially AOKP, but with better battery life. Gummy 1.0.0 is now available, and 0.9.0 had good life. JRummy's Liberty had awesome life on GB, and Gummy does too.

4. glennj

glennj Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like tethering is the issue.

I know, you turned it off. OK. So, its off now...more or less. You can't connect to your phone's wifi anymore to tether, anyway. Right ?

Even if you can't actually tether anymore (you might use the TBH radiohack for that, right ?) , how do you know for sure that both radios are not still both running full bore ? Trust the icons ?

Something is eating your power. Wasn't before, was it ? Then you enabled tethering and noticed expected battery drain (my phone gets HOT only then). Then you turned tethering off, but the battery drain is still dreadful, where pre-tethering experiment the battery life was quite good ?

Something in the ROM you installed needs refining (fixing). These ROM's are remarkable for working At All, they are Works In Progress. Give them time, feedback your discoveries to the Awesome Devs and be patient, or become one yourself.

Glenn

cjs1889 likes this.
  5. redsox985

I've found it impossible to use both WiFi for my signal and tether. The radio seems to work one direction at a time. Tethering does use battery at a fast rate though, as it's like a constant, open data connection streaming information non-stop. It's basically like downloading a file, but for however long you leave it running. I believe the AOSP/CM/AOKP ROMs don't require the radio to be hacked to be tethered. I'm not sure where I read that, but it seems vaguely familiar.

6. doogald

Wait: why would you need both? If your phone has an active WiFi signal, then any device that you are trying to tether to it would as well. To me, the purpose of WiFi tether is for your phone to share the *mobile* data with a device that doesn't have a mobile radio when you are away from a source of WiFi. Basically, to use WiFi as a network bridge to the active mobile data.

7. bryan847

bryan847 Well-Known Member

I didn't see you mention that you ran battery callibration... this is a must-do when installing new roms, otherwise the phone will not be able to tell exactly how much battery it has. It may die before showing 0%, or it may reach 0% before even running out of battery... the app can be downloaded from the store for free and the instructions are in the app... good luck and let me know if there are any problems.

cjs1889 likes this.
  8. glennj

glennj Well-Known Member

The way tethering works for me is that it runs the 3G radio to connect the phone to the Net, then shares that 3G-enabled connection to any device I want to be able to see the Net via the phone's WiFi radio. That means it runs both radios at once and that uses lots of power. A typical use is to allow my Kindle Fire to connect to the Net while I am away from my home WiFi, like while I am driving.

I can't think of another situation where both 3G and WiFi radios are both running at the same time.

I have heard similar things and it is a bit confusing to me. If the TBH hack has not been pre-applied to these radios, then they must be otherwise re-written radios (unlikely) or the same trick to the one EasyTether uses (whatever that is) must be in place ?

I am just suggesting that some problem in the ROM he is using has left both radios running, even after he disabled tethering. I wonder if his phone still gets really warm ?

Glenn

9. doogald

This theory was shot down a few months ago by a Google engineer. You can calibrate your battery meter merely by charging it full and then running until you get a warning to charge - there is no reason to wipe battery stats.

Saying that, there is no harm in doing so, either.

See Google Engineer Confirms Fiddling With Battery Stats Doesn’t Improve Battery Life | TalkAndroid.com

10. cjs1889

cjs1889 Lurker

Hey all, thanks for the great feedback. I ended up figuring out that it was tethering (simply by using my computer to search for wireless signals). I rebooted the phone and it has fine since.

Great info!! Love the forum and look forward to posting more in the future

:D

11. redsox985

I know how tethering works. :p This was a response to Glenn's post above mine (quoted below) concerning whether the radios were on or off. Activate tethering and then turn on WiFi, tethering gets cut. The WiFi radio seems to only broadcast or only receive.

This is how tethering works for everyone. This is the only way tethering DOES work. Take 3G and use the phone's WiFi radio to broadcast a small network.

Motorola Droid 3 Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews