• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Dalvik Cashe

Yoketah

May 24, 2010
Hello, I'm very new to rooting, and need some help. My phone keeps freezing on boot up at the "htc evo 4g" screen when ever I try to flash a kernel. I found out that I need to wipe cache and Dalvik-cache, but everytime I try to wipe the Dalvik-cache, it just goes black for a little while and then returns to the previous menue. I assume that it did not wipe, right? Or is it freezing for some other reason?
Thanks.

Hello, I'm very new to rooting, and need some help. My phone keeps freezing on boot up at the "htc evo 4g" screen when ever I try to flash a kernel. I found out that I need to wipe cache and Dalvik-cache, but everytime I try to wipe the Dalvik-cache, it just goes black for a little while and then returns to the previous menue. I assume that it did not wipe, right? Or is it freezing for some other reason?
Thanks.

What recovery are you using? Clockwork had been known to not be wiping the Dalvick, you will need to flash RA-Recovery if that's what your using.

Reactions: Yoketah
Upvote 0
have you tried doing the full 100% phone wipe (data/cache/dalvik cache) then trying to install a kernel?

You are not trying to install just a kernel, are you? I mean you are installing a ROM right (first)?

Wiping the Data isnt neccesary, and can even cause problems for example i was chasing a re-boot problem for weeks after flashing kernels when i found that it was because i was wiping data/cache and dalvik from my recovery as opposed to just the cache and dalvik.

But a full wipe and install of your ROM (assuming you installed one ;)) then a flash of your kernel should do the trick. you might also make sure your kernel is compatible with your ROM, (Fresh 3.2 has a Fresh compatible kernel from netarchy, stuff like that)

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Well dang, i got amon-ra recovery going, and wiped dalvik, but it still froze. Im not sure what to do from here. Though I do have another question. I used unrevoked 3.2 as the method of root, and was on 2.2 when i did the process. Do i have to install a rom after that? I looked up the stock os for root and installed that, but I don't think flashing that did anything. Is there a way to tell if your running the right rom. i went into settings to see the os, but i didnt know if what it showed would have been different if i hadn't been rooted. The kernel im trying to im trying to install needs to be compatable with the stock kernel. And the stock kernel should be compatable with the stock os, so im at a loss.

I wont be able to wipe my phone until tomarrow at the earliest, as i need some functions in the meantime. But i will definately try that.

Upvote 0
Well dang, i got amon-ra recovery going, and wiped dalvik, but it still froze. Im not sure what to do from here. Though I do have another question. I used unrevoked 3.2 as the method of root, and was on 2.2 when i did the process. Do i have to install a rom after that? I looked up the stock os for root and installed that, but I don't think flashing that did anything. Is there a way to tell if your running the right rom. i went into settings to see the os, but i didnt know if what it showed would have been different if i hadn't been rooted. The kernel im trying to im trying to install needs to be compatable with the stock kernel. And the stock kernel should be compatable with the stock os, so im at a loss.

When you flash a rom, you need to wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache or things WILL NOT WORK

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones