1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Damaged SD Card - questions

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Medivac, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Medivac

Medivac Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    Hi all, LG ally owner here.

It's a terrible phone that I will be upgrading once i'm eligible for a discount again in 2 months. I've never had a phone which didn't last me the full 2yr contract period before.

Anyways, here's what has happened. Recently I've been getting notifications telling me i'm running low on storage space. deleted all my videos, all my pics, and numerous text threads. haven't seen it for maybe a week now. fine. but today, i'm getting a "Damaged SD card" notification and it's telling me to re-format it. Here are my questions:

1) which data is stored on the SD card? I don't care about videos/pics/media, but i have some saved files in my ColorNote app which I would like to keep. And of course, I would like to keep my contacts which I'm pretty sure are not stored on the SD card, so I guess I'm really just asking about ColorNote and maybe Voxer too (messages and contacts).

2) Speaking of contacts, should I sync to Backup Assistant or Gmail? I've using Backup Assistant (Verizon) but today I went onto the Backup Assistant page on the Verizon website and it said my contacts list is empty!!! so I've decided to use Gmail from now on, but there doesn't seem to be a quick way to sync all of my contacts from my phone onto my Gmail account. WTF. So I actually spent a good 20 mins manually transferring my contacts from my phone into my Gmail account. So I guess I've already answered my question, but if anyone knows a quick way to sync from my phone to GMail, it would be greatly appreciated (for future reference). As of now, I believe the only way to do this is to import/export using a usb connection (which also does not work right now, i cannot turn on usb storage when it's hooked up to the pc for whatever reason. again. WTF.) and of course, my SC card looks like it's corrupted and besides i do not have an SD card reader for my pc.

3) Should I re-format my SD card? How else can I fix it?

Sorry for the rant, but I have never been so thoroughly disappointed and aggravated by an electronic product before.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Sorry to hear. SD cards can fail and thus always should be backed up.

You should always use Gmail to back up your contacts, as that is the most reliable method. I only use Gmail and nothing else to back up my contacts / calendar. However I do export my contacts / calendar from Gmail on a monthly basis to keep an offline copy.

Your color note back ups are on the SD card, probably.

You can try to recover data on the SD card. Take it out of the phone, do not keep using it, and try sd card recovery software via google like this: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...2953l0l5547l21l16l0l2l2l1l266l2359l2.3.7l12l0

3. Medivac

Medivac Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    Ok thank you. However, I do not think ColorNote notes are stored on the SD card, now that I think of it because I can still see them despite the card being corrupted. Anyways, your input is appreciated. I'll be sure to spend hundreds of dollars on a top of the line model in 2 months, perhaps a Galaxy Nexus, but wait is that LG also? anyways, perhaps that's what LG wanted, to entice customers with a free phone which would fail miserably and prompt them to spend more on a better more expensive model. haha, my karma is in the toilet today. But thanks.

4. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    To be fair, I had my Evo 3D cause a corrupted microSD card last year. microSD cards just aren't all that reliable yet, I'm afraid.

My microSD card was a Wintec 16GB that had some users reviews complaining about corrupted cards, so maybe it was a bad batch, but corrupted microSD cards seem more common than not.

That's why it's best to always back up if possible. Color Notes stores its data in Android systems, but backs up the data to the SD card. So that's probably why you can see it still. Back it up ASAP by sending a copy to email or something.

5. darkuni

darkuni Android Enthusiast
    None

That card won't get any better ... Get it to a PC, bulk copy everything you can before it totally craps out.

Wintec 32GB is the one that corrupted on me too.