• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Damaged SD Card?

This has happened twice now... I had turned off the Eris and when I turned it back on, I get a little icon with a question mark and in Notifications it says "The SD card is damaged. You may have to reformat." The first time I did reformat (after, as I thought, saving everything I wanted to my PC - turns out I didn't save photos :(). This time, I'm wondering if it's really damaged or not. Anyone have experience with this? It seems kind of odd.

Had this exact problem, it told me the SD card was damaged every now and then after rebooting, or after syncing. The good news is that your phone is (probably) fine. The bad news is that your SD card is not.

When I took it to Verizon, they were going to just hand me a replacement card on the spot, but didn't have any 8gigs in stock. Then a manager came out and told me I needed to contact SanDisk because they cover the SD card warranties.

Honestly, I didn't even bother; I'd already made up my mind to buy a class 6 card as long as the phone wasn't the problem, so I never even contacted them.

Regardless, if you replace the SD card, your problems should go away. Haven't seen that error message once since I put the new card in.

Upvote 0
I have had to wipe my card several times and now it wont wipe at all so verizon said sandisk covers the card for five years and android has not been out for five years yet so i should call or email them for a replacement. support@sandisk.com

all i did today was talk on the phone then i uninstalled an app to fix a problem with that and then i powered off then on again and i got the damaged card again. i tried to power on and off many times as this can fix some things, but it didn't work. then i tried to load it on my computer, the drive made the whole computer hang so i had to restart the computer at least four times, then i tried a usb sd card reader, it sees the drive but no card as well. so i am assuming the card is dead now. wish i had a heads up before it happened so i could backup the phone online. oh well, start over number 6 for me again.

if there really is a fix for this please respond!!!! I am afraid this will happen again even with a new card since there are enough people having the same problem even with other phones like the G1 and such...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones