1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Damaged SD card

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Xenxen, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Xenxen

Xenxen Lurker

Hi.

So I was trying to do my laundry but my phone unfortunately fell in the water. Because of this, my SD Card is damaged. I would try to reformat it, but I don't want to lose all the photos stored in my SD card. Is there a way to fix this without reformatting it? All help is appreciated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

I doubt even reformatting would fix water damage.

3. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Let it dry then try cleaning the metal parts with a pencil eraser. Be sure you get off all the little rubber bits from the eraser before you put it back in your phone. Can't hurt, might work.

#3 dontpanicbobby, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  4. svim

svim Extreme Android User

A microSD card is an inert storage media, there are no mechanically moving parts and electronically it doesn't have anything like a powered circuit board/controller board. There are the metal contacts you see when you turn one over and internally it's just non-volatile, solid state media. So if it's been dunked in water, if you let it dry out thoroughly (emphasize thoroughly, several times even), it should still be usable and will probably still have your old data on it. Note that if it was soapy water with say, food particles in it, you should rinse your microSD card in clean, preferable distilled, water. Then let it dry for a few days. Putting something like a microSD card in water isn't a problem when you're holding it in your fingers, it's not getting any electrical current.

psionandy and dontpanicbobby like this.
  5. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Thanks for the detail svim. I really should have added that to my post. You made my solution make sense.