• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Damageless ROM?!

yea i know this but didnt know if it (sign in error) was in direct correlation with this mysterous apk that no one seems to know what it is and why it is on the rom (only eris builds) and what it even does i was just brainstorming thinkin those two had a connection...some one said that they adb removed it and no longer are recieveing the google sign in errors so i wonder if it is a password trojan

Upvote 0
yea i know this but didnt know if it (sign in error) was in direct correlation with this mysterous apk that no one seems to know what it is and why it is on the rom (only eris builds) and what it even does i was just brainstorming thinkin those two had a connection...some one said that they adb removed it and no longer are recieveing the google sign in errors so i wonder if it is a password trojan

I believe it's used in the process of wired tethering or something like that.

The people that haven't been getting the sign in error after removing it have said they also haven't received any messages or emails, and something with messages seems to be what causes the error. At least, that's when it happened to me, I got an email, and the error popped up

Upvote 0
interesting makes me feel better i just get caught up in flashing all this stuff and dont stop to think...wow someone could easily just slip something like that in...ya kno?

If they want my google password to buy a whole bunch of apps or something, or even get into my credit card, they can have it. In fact, I'd prefer it if they took the whole account off my hands lol

Those of you worried about the:
SecretControlModem.apk
SecretControlModem.odex

I can tell you with proof, that it is part of the Stock Eris Build. My co-worker has a Droid Eris (Stock) and I just borrowed it and verified the presence of the same files.

good to know.

Upvote 0
do you still get the google sign in error?

They've traced this down to some problem deep in the Eris dump. Apparently it only happens when you have a message waiting on you. It has been said that signing into the default mail app with your Gmail will fix this, but I haven't been testing it long enough to confirm or deny.

Upvote 0
They've traced this down to some problem deep in the Eris dump. Apparently it only happens when you have a message waiting on you. It has been said that signing into the default mail app with your Gmail will fix this, but I haven't been testing it long enough to confirm or deny.

I've signed into both email apps with the same sign in. I still got the error when I had an email waiting for me last night. It might not be anything we can fix until the official 2.1 comes out...more of an annoyance than anything at this point

Upvote 0
My testimonial for this ROM for those who are considering.. DO IT.

I just made the jump to DamageControl v1.0 from Fresh1.1 and I love it... I really thought android and the hero was a piece of shite (fresh was better, but not good enough), but this now feels like a polished operating system (and the processor handles the load way better than I thought it would.(much better than fresh/gumbo/setcpu, even with all the optional/added features turned on and running).

I read every page of the damageless XDA thread on this, so I knew I wanted to wait until v1.0. This _is_ a release ready rom folks. It isn't perfect, but it is much better than anything else old or new.

Things to know beforehand:
-google login glitch, which works for me by signing into the mail app
-visual voicemail was left out since it doesn't work, and google voice looks like it works great(no google voice invite needed for me)
-I had an album glitch in landscape before I turned it off (don't use landscape at all)
-holy crap I have not seen any lag yet
-the nexus1 boot screen is cool
-the upgrade is easy: copy zip to SD>reboot holding home>nandroid backup>wipe>flash from zip> booting the phone the first time walks you through the login stuff
-triangulation works for me now!
-pinch to zoom google maps / stock browser is awesome
-new menus for customizing a few things (ring volume stuff, animations) are great
-2.1 is just better OS integration on things that make it now seem, dare I say, "intuitive"
-I like the stock htc lockscreen because of alarm/music integration...
-I have heard way more of my ringtone than I ever have before... that means less ringer lag... yay!
-wow, I like my phone now.

update:
-FYI, i do not use facebook sync so I haven't had that problem at all (400+ contacts = too much data me thinks)
-has anyone written a how to for google voice with this thing? Android 2.1 seems to have gvoice integration built in, and for someone who never used it before, it was 5 minutes of aggravation to get set up completely. Is the GVoice app a battery drain? Does it only check on intervals (there is a menu for pull interval) or does it work off of SMS or push?
-camera and albums (now "gallery") are 1000% better
-I mentioned "no lag" before, but this especially applies to the dialer. it works like a genuine real phone
-this post is important when you set up google voice http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=5876380&postcount=34

Upvote 0
Well I went ahead and flashed this again, hoping I wouldn't have my haptic feedback problem I had the other day. went with the expresso version this time.

Can't disable haptic feedback again. It's driving me nuts lol, how frustrating. I just don't get it.

menu>settings>lang&keyboard>touch input>text input>vibrate while typing

menu>settings>sound&display>haptic feedback

do you have both disabled?

Upvote 0
menu>settings>lang&keyboard>touch input>text input>vibrate while typing

menu>settings>sound&display>haptic feedback

do you have both disabled?

I did yes, I'm in the process of re-wiping and re-flashing to see what happens.

The first time around I wiped, flashed, had problem, flashed, still had problem. So hopefully the wipe, flash, wipe, flash this time will for some reason straighten things out. *shrug*

Upvote 0
this rom wouldnt boot for me.

did you wipe first?

Process:
put ROM on card
boot into recovery
make a backup
wipe
flash ROM
reboot
Let load
reboot

If it doesn't load the first time (might take 5+ minutes), then you might have a corrupted download. It's been a common problem with the people downloading this ROM for some reason. Try re-downloading the ROM and flashing again.

Upvote 0
did you wipe first?

Process:
put ROM on card
boot into recovery
make a backup
wipe
flash ROM
reboot
Let load
reboot

If it doesn't load the first time (might take 5+ minutes), then you might have a corrupted download. It's been a common problem with the people downloading this ROM for some reason. Try re-downloading the ROM and flashing again.

yeah i wiped what would happen is it would flash and on boot the nexus logo would just freeze tried 3 times each time froze.

Upvote 0
Grrr... I really want to try the ROM out but I am going on a trip for 2 weeks. I really can't afford to have any problems and I am leaving my laptop at home. Oh well, maybe the Mar 26 2.1 release date rumor will be true and we will have a 100% working 2.1 ROM when I get back. You all have fun playing!

dude! the ROM it's working perfectly fine..

I haven't gotten no FC's at all..

MMS send/receive pic/txt works..

cam/video works ...

there's no visual voicemail though, i been using google voice to replace for now and that fixed that problem..

the rom it's really fast...

there's minor issues..lights don't light up..but that can be ignored.

i say you should try it..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones