1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Dare I be hopeful? (PSP2)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Snow_Fox, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Android Expert
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    So, seeing as it has dual camera's and 3g + wifi..

I am really hoping the psp2 may actually really try to push multiplayer gaming on a handheld device.

I love nintendo and am horribly disappointed with their well.. failure in the ds.. Metroid Hunters was such an awesome experience I expected there to be more like it..

I told myself I was "done" with hand helds.. but, being totally honest.. as my girlfriend has a mac and no hdtv.

A console seems like a waste of money and a gaming rig is wayy tooo expensive..

So.. Maybe if psp2 is <200... It could make an awesome birthday gift for me.. then later xmas gift for her.

It seems set up for video chat/skype which would be pretty cool and I would love to be able to play more games with her wirelessly.

I think my captivate is awesome.. but, being blunt I have my phone to be a smartphone/pda not a gaming device.

I am pretty "hardcore" in my views on gaming.. and even if I never brought it out on the town

A 5" screen is a very nice no eye strain size and the mic means we could talk while playing games..

The only thing I am worried about.. is what seems like the perfect option to finally game with my girlfriend more could go so horribly wrong if there is a lack of games.. or if the games are half baked without mic support ect ect.

A console is out of question.. since that would require multiple expensive purchases..

Gaming comp is too expensive..

Under <200? psp2 could be a winrar..

What do you guys think?

Advertisement

2. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands
    None

Mar 4, 2010
    operator
    upstate NY
    In a recent game informer I received, one of the sony guys said it would be approximately $400. And they claim it runs ps3 games no problem. And you will be able to online game with it. Sounds pretty badass to me. Time will tell. I'm not a real hardcore gamer, so maybe it will take less to impress me. I have always liked the PS platform, so maybe I'm a little biased anyway...

3. Spr8dogg

Spr8dogg Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    Southern California
    The idea of psp2 sounds great, however, I agree with you that it's going to need to be less than $200. I'm a casual gamer that buys a ps3 game once a month. This device would be cool, but I've got great games, video chat, and full movies on my phone. I think if they can keep the price down, this would an awesome own.

4. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert
    None

I think Nintendo sees the writing on the wall and is backing out of hand helds. Smartphones will eventually catch up to, and then pass hand helds. It's one of those technologies like calculators, mp3 players and cameras that are being gobbled up by the smartphone industry. Google stated that gingerbreads major push is to improve gaming. And I think it'll just be the beginning. Soon you'll have the same titles on your phone as you can get for the PSP or Gameboy. So nobody is going to plunk down cabbage to get JUST a handheld gaming device when you'll be able to do it all on your phone.

So yes Sony has done the smart move and just turned their gaming handheld into a phone to avoid getting beaten by the smartphone. Guess they took the old advice, "if ya can't beat em, join em". Nintendo will likely drop the Gameboy altogether, or try to come out with a phone themselves. But I sort of doubt they do. I don't know why I don't think they will. I just don't.

5. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Android Expert
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    for whatever it is worth I disagree with you 100%

phone's are still 500$

With a two year upgrade you can get (the good ones) for 200.

Your still locked into data plan on a monthly basis which drives cost back up.

Plus you also now have all your batteries in one basket.

Phone camera's don't replace real camera's yet. Sure you can get what use to be probably a 200$ camera quality straight from your phone.

But, for 150$ you can get a camera of borderline professional quality.

Phone camera's are great for a few still shots, profile pics or general use... especially since the majority of people out there aren't going to carry a camera around with them either way.

If we discuss handhelds being 200< then there is room to discuss using a phone instead..

but, the problem with phones are you lose quality.

Mediocre gaming, poor battery life, mediocre pictures, horrible video quality, web browsing capabilities which are excellent for low usage but, horrible for extended periods, mediocre music playback.

These phone's are really cool.. but, they really don't replace dedicated handheld devices.

I think there is going to be a market for handhelds for quite some time.

400$ is a hefty price.. but, as sad as it is I would still consider getting one considering the recent realization I had.

If it really does play ps3 games.. then even at 800$ for two..

that means.

A. don't have to buy my gf a tv/monitor to hook up to a console.
    B. don't have to buy dedicated headset
    C. same price as ps3 and plays same games (from what I've read, still personally skeptical)
    D. it is portable even if we never bring them outside the house.. I can chill in bed.. or anywhere else..
    E. a 5" screen for the sake of just playing games is still pretty nice
    F. unlike a gaming computer or console 800$ nets her AND me one.. instead of just me buying her a bunch of stuff..(not trying to be greedy but, she would freak out if I spend that much money on her... and if I got one myself it would be cool).

Not saying phone's aren't infringing on the market.. just saying lower standards suck, and I think there will still be a market for handhelds just like Ipods, Cowons, and Walkman series are still in business.

6. Mac_Leod

Mac_Leod Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 18, 2010
    There's no way the PSP2 is going to retail for under $200. The 3DS is going to sell for $250. I think anything cheaper than $300 is a pipe dream.

If you think Nintendo is going to get out of the handheld business, take a look at history: Game Boy vs Game Gear, DS vs PSP.

7. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands
    None

Mar 4, 2010
    operator
    upstate NY
    Nintendo is making the 3ds. Gonna be the next best thing. Looks really cool...

8. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert
    None

I'm thinking more long term, not this year or next.

The camera thing was more about those little hand helds and disposables, etc.... there will always be a market for professional camera's because while my 20D was basically the same megapixel (it was 8.5, my DX is 8), there's absolutely no comparison in image quality because of a number of things, but the thing that these phones will never have is the 80-200 1.8 lens, or the 50 millimeter, or the Lens baby, or the tilt/shift, etc... There is no substitute for good glass.

The smartphone revolution is still in its infancy. The thing is, people switch over from dumbphone to smartphone, 99% never go back. At one time only someone with a job had a cellphone. Now-a-days most kids are getting them. And more and more of them are getting smartphones now too. It'll be a slow migration, but it's going to happen. At one time no family had more than 1 television. Just a few years ago it became official that there were more TV sets per household than there were people. The point being that even though it's hard to envision some of these things happening now, that's the way it's heading and will continue to go.

Of course, all of this is just my opinion. But I'm sure of it.