• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

dark background vs light background

If I remember correctly, many folks on here said that a dark background uses less energy, however a person on another forum told me this:

Sorry to burst your bubble dude, but unless your cell phone has a CRT screen on it, it's exactly the opposite.

Black actually uses MORE energy on an LCD screen to display than white. To block out the light, the LCD screen uses a diffuser to block the light coming from the light source. This uses more power.

Of course the difference is so negligible that it's hardly even existent. On a large computer monitor, displaying a full black screen will use +/- 1 watt more energy than a solid white screen.

Any thoughts?

There is really no difference in power consumption when you are talking about LCD screens because the backlight is always on. If we were talking about a phone with an AMOLED screen (Galaxy S, DInc first gen) then a black backround would absolutely use less power. With an LCD like the D2 it's so negligible that you shouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: benfgsg
Upvote 0
Can someone help me with a background issue?
I want to have a transparent backgraound with my photo behind the icons (not on the home page, or lockscreen, but the applications pages). Now it is black, on my galaxy S1. On my galaxy S II plus, I can see my photo (wallpaper) in the background, but I cant figure out what I have to change for this. tyvm!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones