• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Das BAMF 2.0 Gingerbread Beta!!

Just had to say how impressed I am with 2.0.3!! My phone is just as stable as stripped 1.1 was! I'm literally in shock how they put this together from a pre alpha build. It's mind blowing to me. I've even dropped all the speeds of Imoseyon's Kernel by 50vdd each and the phone is taking it like a champ. I know 4 was just released, but 3 is running so great for me I'm not updating again until it's something major. Awesome doesn't do justice to how great this ROM is

Thinkin I'm gonna have to give this a try this weekend..

The BAMF team really is impressive, and don't know that ill be switching to any other devs anytime soon. Even CM7 doesn't perk my interest as much anymore..

Upvote 0
i think maybe im with ya here.

i just looked at the changelog:
--Ported toolkit. Note, spare parts battery history force closes at this time.
--Removed Sense 3.0 camera. Trying to reduce bugs, not add to them. Sorry about that.
--New gtalk w/ video. Haven't tested heavily.

i could care less about gtalk,and im not having any issues(that i know of yet) with the camera. ill have to read thru the thread and see what bugs hes refering to. my camera actually didnt work in 2.0-2,so im thinking maybe ill leave it well enuff alone for now :)

If you're interested I asked adrynalyne to make a patch for people who didn't want to update to 4. He just posted it like an hour ago and it includes the toolkit and the new gtalk. Camera is still 3.0.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Thinkin I'm gonna have to give this a try this weekend..

The BAMF team really is impressive, and don't know that ill be switching to any other devs anytime soon. Even CM7 doesn't perk my interest as much anymore..

I waited on flashing the first builds that everyone pushed out and was even skeptical of the 2.0 beta last night, but flashed it anyways. 2.0 was buggy as hell and I was pretty bummed out to be honest. 2.0-2 was decent, but still not quality. The difference between those and 2.0.3/4 is night and day. It's going to be my daily driver until he releases an official version. It's pretty damn impressive considering what he had to work with. One downfall, if you're a heavy data user, the slower LTE speeds (radio issues, no fix ATM) will probably be an issue. Luckily I'm a WiFi whore so this doesn't apply to me

Upvote 0
I waited on flashing the first builds that everyone pushed out and was even skeptical of the 2.0 beta last night, but flashed it anyways. 2.0 was buggy as hell and I was pretty bummed out to be honest. 2.0-2 was decent, but still not quality. The difference between those and 2.0.3/4 is night and day. It's going to be my daily driver until he releases an official version. It's pretty damn impressive considering what he had to work with. One downfall, if you're a heavy data user, the slower LTE speeds (radio issues, no fix ATM) will probably be an issue. Luckily I'm a WiFi whore so this doesn't apply to me

Yeah I've been holding off on making the jump until enough of the bugs were worked out that I wasn't going to be switching back.
Its only been a few days and look where we're at from what the first leaks were like.

On another note, is anyone running launcher pro with this? Do they play well together?

Upvote 0
Lock screen is very cool, but it destroyed my battery. I had to stop using it about an hour ago. I don't think I'll ever be able to stop using widgetlocker for good anyways:)
it prolly destroyed mine too,lol... i turned my screen on literally like ever 2 minutes to watch the weather animations :eek: i still like the little ring and how the shortcuts work,but i think im over the weather allready. it appears that you need to run the sense launcher for it to work and im tired of switching it and keeping it going. last night i changed it to just wallpaper.

AFA 3.0 mms, if you use a 3rd party sms, like handcent, gosms, you can freeze/remove mms.apk. I had a problem with sms unread count only opening stock messaging, so I removed it and all is well again
is there a 3rd party mms that looks like AOSP? lol,handcent is even worse than 3.0 mms in that it looks JUST like my ipod. i dont care for how the messages look like conversation cartoon bubbles. i prolly wouldnt mind any of it if i could cahgne the background to black... thats my main issue with alot of things sense. i freakin hate white backgrounds on my phone. i much prefer dark themes.

also thanks for the info on the patch. ill prolly check it out this afternoon. prolly beta 5,6,and 7 will be out by then the way theyre goin ;)

Yea Cyanogen is gonna have to step their game up. BAMF is here.
im not gonna go that far. i like this rom,its workin well but development in general is still way too young for the TB to limit yourself to just 1 developer(or set of developers in this case). nothing wrong with stayin with it if its meeting all your needs,but i personally still feel the need to experience things,as we have alot of great developers that have moved here.

as far as cm7,im still counting the days till RIL is right and it,along with other AOSP roms will start rollin. even the desensed roms we have out now have a huge footprint and are full of sense. again,i like this rom,but im still longing for a pure vanilla experience :(

Upvote 0
see, my feelings an AOSP/vanilla android are completely different than I guess most peoples. I can't stand it! I hate shopping around for apps to replace the functionality of Sense. LauncherPro comes very close for the widgets, but not with the dialer, contacts, and overall integration that sense provides. I do agree about the messaging apps as I too prefer a dark background, and the conversation bubbles aren't my cup'o'tea either. Can we not just install AOSP mms.apk like we would handsent or chomp? thats the only aosp element I like! speaking of messaging, anybody elses timestamp off for incoming and outgoing messages?

Upvote 0
see, my feelings an AOSP/vanilla android are completely different than I guess most peoples. I can't stand it! I hate shopping around for apps to replace the functionality of Sense. LauncherPro comes very close for the widgets, but not with the dialer, contacts, and overall integration that sense provides. I do agree about the messaging apps as I too prefer a dark background, and the conversation bubbles aren't my cup'o'tea either. Can we not just install AOSP mms.apk like we would handsent or chomp? thats the only aosp element I like! speaking of messaging, anybody elses timestamp off for incoming and outgoing messages?

if one likes the functionality of sense,nothin wrong with that :) i dont find myself shopping for apps and widgets to replace anything in it,lol... to me sense is overly complex and confusing. my homescreens are very basic. its largely what youre used to. i got used to android on my droid 1,wich was plain vanilla. only thing i didnt like was the white backgrounds,but cyanogenmod fixed that without turning it into a whole new skin,its still pretty much good ol'vanilla android. sense,really,is much more than a skin... its a whole new OS based on android. for comparison,AOSP roms are usually half the size of sense roms or less :eek: thats alot more code for functionality that i dont use!

on the mms,no its for some reason not that simple. it must require specific frameworks to work,or something,i dont really know. tesla,for one,tried to include AOSP mms in his rom,but ended up reverting back to the sense mms to resolve issues people were having with it.

Reactions: ska.t73
Upvote 0
Just a heads up, if you guys like dark backgrounds, handcent has an option to change the theme from white to black. You can also change the default conversation style to android, which looks just like a stock android sms app.

jb05j5.jpg

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Just a heads up, if you guys like dark backgrounds, handcent has an option to change the theme from white to black. You can also change the default conversation style to android, which looks just like a stock android sms app.

jb05j5.jpg

omg! thats awsome! thanks for the tip... im using it now :cool: i had no idea it had that sort of adjustability

Upvote 0

jb05j5.jpg

Ahh yes! The Android conversation-style is the sole reason why I switched to Handcent. For the life of me I couldn't find a similar setting in Go SMS or ChompSMS. That and the stock SMS app was incredibly buggy/laggy.

Upvote 0
loaded this last night and i must say it works pretty damn good. love the lock screen and i really do see that much battery drain with it. Some apps arent quite playing nice yet but no worries, they will soon

what are you having prollems with? all my apps seem to work,but then i really dont have that many ;)

happy to report handcent is workin just fine with it :D

Upvote 0
Sucks people are having problems but I can safely say that this ROM is working perfectly fine on my phone. I have yet to find any deal breaking problems. Oh, and Netflix works with the recent rmk patch! :)

I installed 2-4.01 fresh after wiping data, cache, and Davlik. After rebooting, I got things set up and then rebooted into Bootloader and installed GB radio. After reboot, fixed permissions with ROM Manager and reboot again. I DID NOT INSTALL ANY PATCHES OR TWEAKS POSTED IN THE OP IN THE XDA THREAD.

All apps were downloaded and installed fresh automagically by Google. Those that were not I installed fresh from the Market. Where needed, I individually restored data of apps I needed/wanted my data restored (e.g., K-9, Angry Birds, etc.) from my Titanium Backup.

Everything was working peachy but I decided to go ahead and upgrade to the modded kernel posted in the XDA thread and install the Netflix patch from rmk.

Have experienced no issues whatsoever. Camera works fine for me. I don't use stock Messaging or Mail (I use Handcent and K-9). Can send and receive both text and MMS messages just fine and time stamps are correct. Can send and receive from both my Mac and Gmail accounts. I use Google Voice for Voicemail and it works as it should.

All apps I have installed work just as they did when I was on BAMF 1.63. No force closes, no issues at all.

I am on Wi-Fi only on the weekends so haven't tested 3G/4G extensively and can't get a good reading on battery life yet as I've been playing with my phone more than normal.

This is good to go as a daily driver as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0
Huge problem... I occasionally get FC on the phone signal... and sometimes i dont even get text messages but there is 3G... i only have 3G where i live and I did change the settings to CDMA auto (prl). even when the settings were on CDMA + LTE/evDo auto i got some FC ...
the way that i flash the radios was i loaded up the GB ROM then flash the the radios with Boot loader with in the phone, not by adb anyone think thats the problem?

Upvote 0
so let me get this straight. I first flash the GB 2.04 BAMF ROM using ROM manager after downloading the file to my SD card. Then I need to download the GB radio to my SD card to replace the current PBIMG file, and it will automatically be flashed as it searched for the IMG file? Why is it that with all other ROMS I have never had to flash the radio separately? Is there a package deal?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones