• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dash Mount GPS and HEAT

Many people have been complaining about the DX not charging when using the GPS. I did find the same thing. What I did discover by accident is the dash mounted DX being in the sun for long periods will cause the battery to stop charging. It does not matter if you are using the GPS or not. I took a 4hr trip and the DX was in the sun for most of it. The AC was on but the DX still got very hot and DID stop charging. On the way home, it was cloudy and the DX stayed at 100% charge the entire trip.

In conclusion, I believe the problem is in the HEAT and not the GPS.

I've had the same problem. Recently took a ~10-12 hour trip, with the Droid X in the car dock and being charged through a 1000 mA (!) charger, it still ended up losing battery. The phone would display the charging animation and indicate that it was charging, but still ended up losing battery. Taking the phone out of the dock and placing it in a cooler area (shade) resulted in it charging fine though.

Upvote 0
lithium batteries are sensitive to heat and a good charger would monitor the battery temp. so it makes sense that when it gets noticeably hot it would stop charging. I fly a number of RC aircraft which are electric and use multi-cell lithium batteries and from my readings on proper charging the temp. thing always comes up in the discussion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones