• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data connection drops. All the time. Anyone else?

tkolgen

Lurker
Jun 5, 2012
I'm new to this website and I've been ready some of the threads on here and this issue has been brought up a couple times but it's not as big of an issue I thought it would be. I've had my Maxx since Nov and I went thru 7 phones so far all with the same issue. The phone switches from 4G to 3G loses data back and forth constantly. I have had this issue with all 7 phones so when I read that some people don't have this issue I wonder If they just don't realize they do or is it they really don't.

I love this phone but the connection on it is terrible and is a major issue for me. Anyone have any idea's how to help out?

I lose data, often several times per day. I've never noticed any specifics around location - doesn't seem to matter where I am. Most of the time I'll have "white bars", which from everything I've read indicates that it is actually available. My wife has a Maxx too, and I can normally check hers at the time and it will work fine. She loses data too, but it doesn't seem to be nearly as often as mine.

Upvote 0
Mine does this too, very often, my wife has the razr and hers hardly ever drops, usually when mine does i'll look over at hers and see that its fine.

I am currently testing to see if it was my case, I was using the otterbox commuter, so far, it looks as though it was actually caused by the case, but im only half way through day 1. My wife is using the verizon gel case.

I called Verizon and they checked my coverage area, and couple other things, and she said she is seeing no reason that i should be losing data so often. I asked if it was maybe caused by the case, and before i even said that i had the otter box the rep said that they were using the otterbox and they noticed many data drops when they were using it also.

Are you using a case?

Upvote 0
I've been seeing this happen my SECOND day with this. I have also noticed that Facebook will say there is no connection, but anything else internet related works, as well as speed test proving my connection is solid. I dumped Facebook, it should help.

On my Rezound, Facebook also screwed things up, and the only way it was better was when I uninstalled all updates to that app, but since this phone didn't have it built in, I am required to download the newest version.

I soft reset after uninstalling it, hopefully no more data or voice coverage drops.

Upvote 0
One of the instances where I lost data, my phone said "No Sim Card" I wonder if I should get it replaced. I uninstalled Skype and Text plus, thinking those two apps both installed and possibly somehow running in the background could cause that problem. If it loses data again in an area with good coverage and it's not an outage, I'm going back in to Verizon.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
My Maxx has always had geat service and then about a month ago I started seeing data drops and had tried all the usual things to find the problem. Finally I called Verizon to get a refurb and was taliking to their tier 2 tech support and they said I should try a new 4G SIM card first. That fixed the problem I no longer have data drops. I was told by Verizon that for some reason the 4G PRL list is not updateing automatically like it is suppossed to and that the only way to make the list update is install a new 4G SIM card since this forces the phone to reactivate. My PRL was 15109 and now is 15142

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
My Maxx has always had geat service and then about a month ago I started seeing data drops and had tried all the usual things to find the problem. Finally I called Verizon to get a refurb and was taliking to their tier 2 tech support and they said I should try a new 4G SIM card first. That fixed the problem I no longer have data drops. I was told by Verizon that for some reason the 4G PRL list is not updateing automatically like it is suppossed to and that the only way to make the list update is install a new 4G SIM card since this forces the phone to reactivate. My PRL was 15109 and now is 15142

what is "PRL"?

and i too have had MANY 'drops' in the past week. the phone worked perfectly for the first two weeks i had it, but this past week has started dropping off the network randomly, and now (yesterday/today) does it seemingly every other time i use it.

NOT good.

Upvote 0
Try this people..

power down your device. Remove the simcard, be careful with the sim, (that little sticker is delicate) power back up. You'll see a notification saying no simcard. Power down.
Replace the simcard (carefully), power back up.

This is called reseating the sim.. it should help, if you install your sim incorrectly it WILL get fried... try not to do this :)

Reactions: Der Juicen
Upvote 0
what is "PRL"?

and i too have had MANY 'drops' in the past week. the phone worked perfectly for the first two weeks i had it, but this past week has started dropping off the network randomly, and now (yesterday/today) does it seemingly every other time i use it.

NOT good.

Me too. I have only had the phone for 5 days, I bought it from someone locally. Since I've had it I have had drops while at work where reception isn't that great to begin with.

But today has been embarrassingly bad. I can't do anything with data to save my life today. My recently departed Rezound never had this issue here at work. Like I said, I don't have great reception here but at least the Rezound got something.

If this doesn't clear up within the next week I think I am going to dump this phone and get something else.

Upvote 0
Me too. I have only had the phone for 5 days, I bought it from someone locally. Since I've had it I have had drops while at work where reception isn't that great to begin with.

But today has been embarrassingly bad. I can't do anything with data to save my life today. My recently departed Rezound never had this issue here at work. Like I said, I don't have great reception here but at least the Rezound got something.

If this doesn't clear up within the next week I think I am going to dump this phone and get something else.

well, i'm wondering IF something is happening with Verizon, inasmuch as several of us are having this problem?

again, this phone worked PERFECTLY for the first two weeks i had it, and now it's having a helluva time getting a network connection....and keeping it.

does anyone know if Verizon's having 'trouble' here out West? (lol)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones