• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data connection keeps disappearing (permanently)

horseman_uk

Apr 25, 2011
I've rooted my phone and alternated through a few ROMs and kernels, ending in VillainROM. I had a problem in VillainROM whereby the data connection only works for about an hour but then stops working altogether. The connect icon (3G+, 3G, H, G) disappears and there is no access to the internet. I've tried turning 'Packet data' off and on again as well as flight mode to see if I can kick the data connection into restarting. The only way I've found so far is to reboot the phone.

So, I've put the phone back on to the stock ROM because it wasn't much use without a data connection. However, the problem still persists and I'm at a loss about what to do next. I've checked the APN settings and they're all correct.

Can anyone make any suggestions about what to do next?

Thanks for your help!

Hi, I'm with Bell Mobility in Canada and have this problem as well. Wifi always works but mobile data does the same for me too. I find sometimes toggling flight mode works to get it back. Toggling packet data doesn't help the problem. Even restarting phone hasn't helped the problem at times. I'm starting to suspect that PowerAmp may somehow disable the internet, but I have no proof of this. It seems to happen whenever I'm using this program but not all the time. My phone is not rooted.

Upvote 0
Had the same problem with data connection dropping or disappearing altogether and only a reboot would restore it.

Never had the problem when i got the phone which was on the original Orange firmware.

Only started after i started using custom ROMS,tried various ROMS but kept getting the same problem, from what i can work out it was being caused by the custom firmware mixing and matching components i.e kernals and modem files etc.

Have just installed the XWKH4 firmware from XDA, its in the Frankenstien section

http:// forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075278

Which uses the KH3 modem file with KH4 kernal and the problem has gone, not lost data connection all day, even switching on WIFI and then off which used to cause it is fixed, leaving phone for 2 or 3 hours untouched, still got a data connection when i wake it.

I did a full wipe of the phone/cache before i flashed it this time and then another after the flash just to make sure it was fully wiped.

Not a single problem, give it a try, hopefully will fix your problem as well

Reactions: horseman_uk
Upvote 0
Thanks for your suggestion, it's certainly given me something to think about but your baseband version is KH4 and mine is KG3. I'm not an expert on these things but I believe that using the wrong baseband version is a bad idea. Then again, I can give it a go and if it doesn't work I can just migrate back to the version I'm on now!

Upvote 0
Your baseband version will update with the new firmware, mine was KG5 (also been KE2,KG3 depending on what ROM i had flashed) the KH/KG simply refers to the version of firmware KE being an old version KH the newest, the next incarnation will probs be KI or KJ

KE is gingerbread 2.3.3
KG/KH is Gingerbread 2.3.4
KJ will probs be 2.3.5

Baseband after firmware upgrade is KH3 kernel is KH4 modem is KH3 (this is the important bit for the data connection, i think your confusing your baseband with this)

I'm in the UK as well and the phone is working better than it ever has

the KH4 firmware is a single file which you iinstall using Odin, very simple.

It is a non wipe version tho, which is why i completley wiped my phone before installing

Upvote 0
I have had trouble with it as well.

But i think i got the solution. (it has been working for most of people that i see on foruns, and it is improving the connection response speed as well).

You try to change the modem of this firmaware. Get a new modem, KG6 modem's has worked for people with this problem.

Try to get only the modem.bin file, and change it using ODIN!

If you dont know how to do it, or if you cant find kg6 moden.bin , just tell me and i will try affording it for you!

Upvote 0
Okay, now I'm not even sure what I've done. The phone appears to be working after I tried to flash the file:

XWKH4
Android 2.3.4

This package has: PDA: XWKH4| Modem/phone: XXKH3| CSC: XEUKD1
Download: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

I used Odin and entered the same file for the PDA, PHONE, and CSC then tried to flash it. It failed twice with some sort of error about 'LOKE'?! I thought I was in big trouble so I tried to fall back to something that I knew worked (but not entirely.) So, I flashed CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KG3-v4.1-CWM4 which is the Kernel I used originally to root the phone. I was then going to put VillainROM on it. However, the phone booted up and seems to be working.

In About --> Phone I've got the following:

Baseband: I9100XXKH3
Kernel: 2.6.35.7-I9100XXKG3-CL401405
Build: GINGERBREAD.XWKH4

How the hell the phone is still working is a miracle because I've pretty much lost the plot on what I was flashing and where. The fact remains that it's working, though. :eek:

Upvote 0
You should have just ONE tar file named

GT-I9100_XEU_I9100XWKH4_I9100XXKH3_I9100XEUKD1.tar

You should have downloaded a self extracting zip file that will give you the above file
That is the only file you need, as i said use ODIN 1.85 which you can download from the same page at XDA, select this file as PDA and nothing else

Then connect phone and flash

Upvote 0
Thanks for all your help, it's been really useful. I must admit that the phone is working just fine in its currently state - whatever that is - so I might just leave it alone unless the data connection starts playing up again. It's been a learning experience and there's a lot of conflicting advice out there.

From my perspective, it wasn't clear about the KG3/KH4/etc. thing. Most sites say that if you start with a KG3 then you should download pretty much everything with KG3 specified in it, although that appearst to not be true. It would be great if someone did a FAQ for dummies (or to be more fair to them/me - people who are just starting out with Android phone rooting.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones