1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Data connection says "G"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by steveopolis, Aug 13, 2010.

1. steveopolis

steveopolis Member

Nov 13, 2009
    What does it mean when the data connection on my sprint hero says G above the two arrows?
    Before it was EV, but now it says G?

My internet seems really fast now too.

thanks

Advertisement

2. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    18th Hole Of the Golf Course
    I am assuming there was a corrupted database here as I know I have answered this question already

3. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Yeah, DonB, this is like the third thread I have seen about this recently. Hopefully, people are actually using the search feature.

Hmm, this looks like the exact same thread that I answered in a couple days ago. I guess the forum database was restored to a few days back?

4. cij1916

cij1916 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Travel Agent
    MS coast
    Well I just went thru the pages til at lease 8/7, I don't see anything about a G, and if you search for the letter G, you get nothing.

5. Vip3rV333

Vip3rV333 Member

Feb 6, 2010
    With that same amount of time you guys spend whining at him, you could have just answered his question...

I assume its maybe stuck in some sort of roaming mode? Never seen that. Try toggling airplane mode if you haven't already.

cij1916 likes this.
  6. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Guess what? I did answer the question in this thread. Then Android Forums did maintenance yesterday and all of the threads were rolled back a couple days. This obliterated my post. I do not see where DonB or myself were whining at him or anyone. When I said third thread with this subject recently, I meant in the last three or four months, not the last few days.

Keeping on the topic, I will reiterate what I surmised before my post was erased. All I can think of is that perhaps the handset reverted to its "GSM roots" and displayed 'G' because it thought it was on the GPRS data network, despite it actually being a CDMA handset.

7. Vip3rV333

Vip3rV333 Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Ok, you weren't whining, its just both of you mentioned "I already answered this but the database got restored..."

Ok, I guess it did, if you know the answer just reply again with it, for future reference, for other ppl. Not trying to be a d!ck, just saying... :)

And the GSM thing makes sense I guess. Maybe a theme was installed?

8. dricky

dricky Active Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Chicawwgo
    Not to whine lol. I asked this question a few months back, and not a single person answered. I personally haven't seen anyone else ask this. When I had this I was unable to connect to the internet at all. Personally I would like to know the reason that is 100% a fact.

9. Wiskid

Wiskid Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Network Engineer
    Madison, Wi
    I also had the "G" symbol a few days ago. It has since gone back to "Ev". I believe it reverted after a healthy reboot.

Tags: