• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data connection switching = bad internet experience

Guys,

I'm having trouble with my new Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 on T-Mobile UK. I'm listening to Spotify and it keeps cutting-out but the network icon (notification bar) indicates that I'm still connected with full HSDPA signal. It makes listening to Spotify unbearable as it stops every 3-5 seconds for as long as 10 seconds.

This only seems to happen sometimes when I'm walking my dog, so I'm on the move. I tried today diagnosing it as I was walking and I noticed that it effected other applications such as the web browser (i.e. would take 10-20 seconds to load a page, then it would be fine for a moment, then it would drop again).

I downloaded aLogCat to help diagnose the problem. I filtered by keyword "network" and I see that it keeps logging this:

I/TelephonyRegistry( 2715): notifyDataConnection: state=2 activeState=2 isDataConnectivityPossible=true reason=networkTypeChanged apn=general.t-mobile.co.uk interfaceName=pdp0 networkType=3|8|10

...and...

D/MobileDataStateTracker( 2715): default|supl Received state= CONNECTED old= CONNECTED reason= networkTypeChanged, apnTypeList= default,supl,mms

Look here...

TelephonyManager | Android Developers

The networkType constants (3,8,10) refer to HSDPA, UTMS and HSDPA. This suggests that it's constantly switching between these network types and either this switching is causing the pausing or one of the connection types fails to provide data.

This could be perfectly normal and a red herring, though. Any thoughts? Is there any additional logging/checking I can do? It would be good if I could see a real-time overview of the data connectivity states.

Reactions: chrstdvd

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones