• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data counter App

I don't use juice defender or 3g watch dog so I won't comment on either of those apps, although I have used them in the past. For whatever reason, one I can't recall, I didn't like 3g watch dog so I uninstalled it awhile back.
Right now I use netcounter to monitor my data. In all honesty its not really that good. Sometimes when I'm on wifi the whole day it wont even count my data usage for wifi. If you have widgets that require update (facebook widget, twitter, etc) it will not count that towards the data counter either. So you may want to find another data counter but a app I live by the APN on/off. It's really simple you put the APN widget on your screen and when its green 3G is turned on, press the widget it turns red 3G is turned off. It's simple and effective.

Upvote 0
I use "Data Counter Widget". (not quite what your looking for, but thoght to mention it.) It count's mobil data, wifi and tether data. You can't set it to turn off data, but allows you to track what you have used. Its pretty accurate and simple. I use "Quicksettings" to turn my mobil data on/off as needed. (I have unlimited data, so I don't worry about it.)

Upvote 0
I use net counter...I have set it to warn me if my 3G comes close to my cap (which I haven;t even come close too)

I check if Net counter is doing OK with my ISP member facilities data usage reports and so far it seems accurate enough for me to trust Netcounter...I have no concerns with the wifi limit.

Net counter seems to work for me....I also use Juice defender to turn off all data when I have the phone off.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I found that 3G Watchdog had become unreliable lately when reporting my data usage and it did not tally with my operators figures, which it did at one time. There are quite a few postings on this subject regarding mis-reporting by 3G Watchdog.

However, for the last couple of months I have used My Data Manager, free from the Market, and this is doing a great job of data usage reporting and can be set to 3 seperate levels of warning.

See here:-

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm&feature=search_result

Hope this helps. :D

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I found that 3G Watchdog had become unreliable lately when reporting my data usage and it did not tally with my operators figures, which it did at one time. There are quite a few postings on this subject regarding mis-reporting by 3G Watchdog.

However, for the last couple of months I have used My Data Manager, free from the Market, and this is doing a great job of data usage reporting and can be set to 3 seperate levels of warning.

See here:-

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm&feature=search_result

Hope this helps. :D

Thanks for this app. I'm trying it out now, along with my "Data Counter Widget", and see which I like better. I must say though, that "My Data Manager" has a lot of colors, cool graphics and notifications. I like the widget too. I'm trying mine without the ongoing notification, in the notification bar, and see if it is still accurate.

Upvote 0
I use net counter...I have set it to warn me if my 3G comes close to my cap (which I haven;t even come close too)

I check if Net counter is doing OK with my ISP member facilities data usage reports and so far it seems accurate enough for me to trust Netcounter...I have no concerns with the wifi limit.

Net counter seems to work for me....I also use Juice defender to turn off all data when I have the phone off.

If the phone is off, wouldn't the data shut off as well? Or are you talking about when it is idle/sleeping?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones