• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

data drop while switching cell tower?

jaliy

Android Expert
Aug 7, 2011
My data network sometimes drop for a few seconds then reconnect
Does this mean I'm near another cell tower?
This always happen in the same place

I also notice that everytime my network drop and reconnect, i get a new external ip and internal ip
Does this mean anything

My data network sometimes drop for a few seconds then reconnect
Does this mean I'm near another cell tower?

It could, or it could indicate a weak signal/poor connection to one particular cell.

I also notice that everytime my network drop and reconnect, i get a new external ip and internal ip
Does this mean anything

Inconclusive... the configured IP address lease period is likely already very short, so that any freed-up IP is almost immediately reassigned to a new connection rather than awaiting the return of a device that may well be long-gone from the vicinity.

The app Network Signal Info will show the CID of the currently-connected cell. If that changes then you'll know for certain that you're on a different cell than previously.

Reactions: jaliy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones