• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data feature and GPS data

somanyapps

May 27, 2011
VA
I read an article that talked about turning off the "data feature" if you won't be using the phone for awhile, and don't have an unlimited data plan. I'm not sure I understand. Does that mean simply disabling any sort of network capability, or is there some other feature that should be "unchecked." Of course, not sure what was meant by "won't be using the phone for awhile." Do they mean turn it off when you're not actually using it?

Regarding the GPS. I know there was concern that the GPS (was it only on some phones) was sending location data to the carrier without the owner of the phone knowing about it. Is there some sort of tweak or setting I should be looking at to prevent that from happening, assuming it is even an issue?

Thanks

I read an article that talked about turning off the "data feature" if you won't be using the phone for awhile, and don't have an unlimited data plan. I'm not sure I understand. Does that mean simply disabling any sort of network capability, or is there some other feature that should be "unchecked." Of course, not sure what was meant by "won't be using the phone for awhile." Do they mean turn it off when you're not actually using it?

Regarding the GPS. I know there was concern that the GPS (was it only on some phones) was sending location data to the carrier without the owner of the phone knowing about it. Is there some sort of tweak or setting I should be looking at to prevent that from happening, assuming it is even an issue?

Thanks

Regarding mobile data, you can disable it by pressing and holding on the power button, then selecting Data network mode. This doesn't disable all network connectivity, just 2G/3G/4G. (Wi-fi still works.) The reason you might want to do this when you're not actively using your phone is because lots of different apps constantly run in the background, gobbling through your 200mb of data (like Gmail, Email, account syncing, etc.). I noticed that when I didn't actively turn off the mobile data as described above, I'd get very close to the 200mb every month, without doing much web browsing, etc. Now, I just have it turned off unless I really need it, at which point I temporarily turn it on.

Reactions: somanyapps
Upvote 0
Regarding mobile data, you can disable it by pressing and holding on the power button, then selecting Data network mode. This doesn't disable all network connectivity, just 2G/3G/4G. (Wi-fi still works.) The reason you might want to do this when you're not actively using your phone is because lots of different apps constantly run in the background, gobbling through your 200mb of data (like Gmail, Email, account syncing, etc.). I noticed that when I didn't actively turn off the mobile data as described above, I'd get very close to the 200mb every month, without doing much web browsing, etc. Now, I just have it turned off unless I really need it, at which point I temporarily turn it on.

Haven't had the phone enough to know the answer ------ do understand that manually activating wifi will by default deactivate cellualr data but will leaving a wifi signal automatically turn on the cellular data function?

Upvote 0
Haven't had the phone enough to know the answer ------ do understand that manually activating wifi will by default deactivate cellualr data but will leaving a wifi signal automatically turn on the cellular data function?

Actually, when you use wifi, it doesn't automatically turn off cellular data... You might still see the "3G" or "H" or "H+" icon pop up every once in awhile, even when you're connected to wifi (like when you're downloading an MMS).

However, for most internet activity, your phone will prefer wifi to cellular data, and yes, when you leave wifi, it will automatically go back to using cellular data (unless you've switched cellular data off using the method above).

Upvote 0
Actually, when you use wifi, it doesn't automatically turn off cellular data... You might still see the "3G" or "H" or "H+" icon pop up every once in awhile, even when you're connected to wifi (like when you're downloading an MMS).

However, for most internet activity, your phone will prefer wifi to cellular data, and yes, when you leave wifi, it will automatically go back to using cellular data (unless you've switched cellular data off using the method above).

Thanks. Understood. That would also imply that manually turning the wifi capability back on once you're on your home network is an ongoing activity.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones