• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data Network Mode

JimAC

Lurker
Aug 15, 2012
Hi all,

Noticed today that my phone wouldn't connect to the internet - I thought nothing of it as it's done it before and sorted itself out if I left it alone for an hour. However, I noticed that Data Network Mode was deactivated in the quick menu - I turned it on and my connection came back, although it seemed a lot slower than usual.

My question is, is that the 'normal' way of connecting to the Internet, and what's its default setting on Android phones? The more I look around about it the more I get lost in 2g/3g, roaming, Wi-fi, etc.

So, it DNM normally on, or off? What exactly does it do?

Cheers.

Mobile data is usually on by default.
If you are sure you did not turn it off manually, then it is possible that a 3rd party app might have switched it off when going into a power saving mode. (Eg. Juice Defender et al)

Mobile data can be switched on/off by going into:
system settings>wireless+network More...>Mobile networks>Use packet data
NOTE: Flight Mode will also turn off mobile data.

I assume by the "quick menu" you mean the drop-down notification bar toggles, so it seems you can also access it from there (having this option here is firmware/software specific)

As for how your phone connects, if you are in range of your wifi (and have set up the connection to it of course), then this will be used first and foremost without incurring any mobile data.
If you are outside of any saved wifi range, data will then kick in. Obviously in such cases, if your data is also switched off, then no data will be transferred at all.

Upvote 0
By quick menu I mean the one that appears when you hold down the power button for a second or so - I think the handbook referred to it as such.

I do have J-Defender installed but never noticed it doing this before (it does turn data off when the phone is locked)

So, NDM is the norm then, and turned on by default. Thanks. :)

Another thing then - If I have Wi-Fi turned on, i automatically overrides Data use and connects to Wi-Fi when in range? Say if my router's on at home, or there's a free network somewhere in public?

Cheers.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if it will automatically connect to free available wifi, but yes, as long as you have connected to a router, it will do all this seamlessly for you.

For example, I have configured my home and works router into my wifi. When I leave for work, the wifi connection drops and enters data mode for my journey into work. When I arrive at work, my phone is then automatically sets itself up for my works wifi so any data will go through there, and likewise when I leave and arrive back home, its on my home router.

Reactions: JimAC
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones