1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Data or APK back up

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RunVert, Feb 19, 2011.

1. RunVert

RunVert Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    when backing up phone using Backup Root App, should I back up APK AND DATA, or just one or the other?

Advertisement

2. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Which backup app is that, specifically? You can backup both the app and data, but it's never advised to blindly restore app apps and data if you're switching ROMs. Restore app data only when you absolutely need it. For examples, if you have game scores, restore app data for that app, but don't restore data for an app that has nothing important you want to save. You'll avoid conflicts that way.

3. RunVert

None

Jan 28, 2011
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    "MyBackup Root", is a free app on the market. When trying to backup my Media and Apps to my SD, I can choose to save and backup either "Data only", "APK only", or both "Data and APK". Which option should I choose? For backing up my media and apps.

4. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    You can backup data too, if you want. It's restoring where you need to be careful. Just don't blindly restore all apps and data when switching ROMs. Restore only what you need. I've never used MyBackup Root, so I'm not familiar with all the options. I'm pretty sure it's similar enough to Titanium Backup, though.

5. RunVert

None

Jan 28, 2011
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Can you backup all apps/media/data....etc at the same time using Titanium Backup? or do you have go one by one down the list? MyBackup Root allows you to select "all" and it automatically selects all your media, apps...etc and backs it all up in one click.
    Also, what are the advantages of the paid version over the free version of titanium backup?...
    I might switch over.

6. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Yes, you can backup all system data, apps, and app data in one shot. Basically, you have various "batch" jobs, which allow you to backup and restore certain things in groups. The paid version will allow you to restore without having to interact with the phone. Otherwise you have to select the batch restore job, then hit install for each one. To be honest, though, I never recommend restoring everything like that. As I've said, just restore only what you need, one at a time. When you restore with TB, you have the option to restore just the app or the app and it's data. I don't know if MyBackup Root has that option, but it would make sense if it did. Also, you can freeze apps (such as bloatware) with the paid version of Titanium Backup. You have nothing to lose by trying out both, and seeing what you like best.

7. RunVert

None

Jan 28, 2011
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Thanks for the help. I will check it out today.
    Thanks again!

8. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    No problem. Let me know if you have any more questions.

9. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert
    None

Oct 27, 2009
    Florida
    Let us know how My Backup Root works for you. I'm sure others here will appreciate your feedback. :)

Edit: OOPS! I didn't see that you started a new thread for this.

Tags: