• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data partition corruption

elwin15208

Jun 5, 2010
Greetings, all - I have recently had this message appear twice on my S3:

Device memory damaged. The data partition has been corrupted. You need to reset your device to factory defaults. This will erase your data​

Beneath it sits a "Reset device" button. I have not pressed it. Instead, each time I have turned the phone off and turned it back on. Each time, the message has disappeared, and the phone has continued to function normally as before (apparently, at least).

Questions:

1 - Does "data partition" refer to a partition on the phone's internal storage, or on my micro SD card?

2 - What might be causing this message, and how might I prevent whatever is happening from happening?

TIA...

Greetings, all - I have recently had this message appear twice on my S3:

Device memory damaged. The data partition has been corrupted. You need to reset your device to factory defaults. This will erase your data​

Beneath it sits a "Reset device" button. I have not pressed it. Instead, each time I have turned the phone off and turned it back on. Each time, the message has disappeared, and the phone has continued to function normally as before (apparently, at least).

Questions:

1 - Does "data partition" refer to a partition on the phone's internal storage, or on my micro SD card?

2 - What might be causing this message, and how might I prevent whatever is happening from happening?

TIA...

The data partition it's referring to is on the internal memory. There are many causes. It may get worse so I would recommend backing up all important data and doing the factory reset before it causes your phone to not function and/or losing all of your data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones