1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root data plan affected by rooting?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BSH, Feb 16, 2011.

1. BSH

BSH Member

This may be a completely stupid newbie question. For phones with root and custom ROMS, is there a way around having a data plan? Would it be possible to use only wifi for maintaining things like the google calendar and email, not be on the 3G phone network, but still have the smart phone active on Verizon with only a calling plan?

I know, I'm probably too clueless to have root, but I do!:D

Advertisement

2. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

I don't think it's possible, if you want Verizon activation. In order to activate a smartphone on Verizon's network, they insist that there must be a data plan as well. They know that the device you are activating is an Eris, so I have a hard time believing that they will not insist on you setting up a data plan before they will allow it to be activated.

3. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Android Enthusiast

Doogald is correct, Verizon SS requires a Data plan with almost any smartphone (with a few exceptions on the older PalmTreo's for whatever random reason).

What you can do is downgrade to the cheapest data plan of $15/mo. Install DroidWall or some other firewall app, set it up to block Mobile Data with a few exceptions like MMS, and use mostly wifi. Thats what I did for my daughters phone, works great.

4. Bob Cat

Bob Cat Careful, They're sharp!!
    VIP Member

That is correct. Verizon will not activate a smart phone without data plan. I tried with a env touch to use as a phone only for my granddaughter and I had to have a data plan for it.

5. Jrocker23

Jrocker23 Android Enthusiast

Verizon doesnt do $15 plans anymore..

6. IzelTokatl

They did as of two weeks ago. But its being phased out

7. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Also, interesting info (from a while back) re. data usage / tethering courtesy of our very own member Paul (pkopalek) re. tethering, from this post http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/65845-tethering.html#post609084:

Code (Text):
    1. For anyone tethering: They know you're tethering because of a setting in  your
    2. PST that sees data go through [B]dun.vzw3g.com[/B], rather than  [B]vzw3g.com[/B].
    3. They know you're tethering. Will they do anything about it?  Probably not.
    4. But, I don't take any chances. Here's what you do:
    6. [COLOR=Red][B]Dial ##778.
    7. Edit Mode.
    8. 000000 (six zeroes).
    9. M.IP Default Profile.
    10. DUN NAI.
    11. Change it from [I]YOURNUMBER[/I]@dun.vzw3g.com[/B] to [B][I]YOURNUMBER[/I]@vzw3g.com
    13.  -- In other words, you're deleting the text "[I][COLOR=Blue]dun[/COLOR]."
    15. [/I] OK.
    16. Menu >
    17. Commit Modifications.[/B][/COLOR]
    19. Your phone will reboot. From now on (potentially until/if you ever flash
    20. another PB00IMG.zip that you'd normally have to *228 for), you will
    21. channel all your tethering through [COLOR=Red]vzw3g.com[/COLOR] instead of [COLOR=Red]dun.vzw3g.com[/COLOR].
    23. As far as Verizon is watching, you're moving all that data right into your
    24. phone, and not tethering.
    I did this to my phone after I read the post, but I've hardly tethered through it (the "early" days were filled with much paranoia :D).

Not sure how relevant this is nowadays or if this would really make VZW take a hard look at your tethering activities, but I thought I add this to the pile, so to speak ;).

Cheers!

doogald likes this.
  8. IzelTokatl

##778 just gets me a verizon automated person....?

didn't this function die once we move away from sense based roms and the stock dialer? that and the *#*#program#*#* function as well?

9. scary alien

Wow...like I said, its been a while since I did this process (and several ROMs too...I'm sure I was on Ivan's Eris Official 1.0 at the time). Let me grab my Eris and re-do it--I've got xtrROM 5.0 on it now).

I'll report back in a little bit.

BTW, IzelTokatl, saw your post on AndroidCentral re. you going to Google I/O this year...I'm very jealous, but happy you are able to go...I tried to register, but was too late. Google didn't open up the registration site until I was away from my computer (sad story...was at the vet putting my dog to sleep :()...anyway, I hope you have a good, fruitful experience and can share some good stuff with everyone once you return :)).

Cheers!

edit: actually, I don't think I'll be able to do this since my Droid X is my primary phone and I haven't re-activated my Eris since July 15th...(its been in airplane mode since then, lol).

10. scary alien

Yeah, you are probably right...anyone with an active, Sense-based phone able to try this again? I know it worked for me way back when...

11. IzelTokatl

yes Google IO here I come! I almost DIDNT get in, I got half way through the reg, then bam server down. after I could get back on the system told me it was sold out.... I b!tched for about 30mins, then checked my cache for the original URL string that had me in... and bam back into the reg! finished and I made it through..

sorry to hear about your dog, sad losing a long time pet.

scary alien likes this.
  12. scary alien

Thank you very much...I appreciate the kind words.

When I was at home, I was hitting the refresh button every few minutes and monitoring the Twitter feed for news. Then, on the way back from the vet, I checked the site on my phone and saw a "register" button was finally up and tried to do the registration when I got home about 10 minutes later. By then, I had about 4 failed / timeout attempts at seeing the registration page and got the "sorry, event has been sold-out" message. Bummer :p.

I hope you have a great time and learn a lot (and get some cool swag too). Should be an awesome event.

Cheers!

13. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Yes, I think that you need a 2.1 ROM to ##778. However, any settings made there will stick with whichever ROM you use. You can also change the slot cycle to 1 or 0 while you are in there editing.

14. BSH

BSH Member

Okay, I get that a data plan is mandatory.

But since these phones are so darn smart & powerful, surely there's a way to hack a phone to tell the Network "hey, I'm just an LG flip phone, no data traffic here" but still use all the apptastic goodness on the phone (sans cell network). Basically, a smart phone is just a computer attached to a radio transceiver. Couldn't the computer give the transceiver a set of data bits that make it appear to be something else on the Network?

There's probably a completely different forum somewhere on the internet for this topic. :eek:

15. Bob Cat

Bob Cat Careful, They're sharp!!
    VIP Member

I don't know but I'd like to know that too.:D