• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data plan for captivate

The faster the phone , the more data youll use. Im still using my bberry curve 8310 with onl Edge and no wifi capabilities. My max usage has never exceeded 25mb a month. And that month i used my turn by turn gps app towArds a 300 mile trip to an unfamiliar town.

Thats y i dropped from unlimited to 200megs. And im thinking of upgrading to a captivate/Android phone/new gen smart phone?

I may just stick to my Bberry after all due to the downgrade in plan.

Lol

Upvote 0
It all depends how much you use your phone. If you are a smartphone junkie, 200 megs is barely a drop in the bucket. If you happen to have WiFi for most of the day and night, then it might work. I got the 2gig plan thinking it would be safe and have so far used about 300 megs a month, being conservative with my phone. But I can easily see this getting out of hand if I use Pandora or watch a couple of You Tube videos.

Upvote 0
Another thing you can do is turn off background data when your not in a wi-fi area. This is under Settings - Accounts and sync. I noticed that when I was out and about doing stuff away from home my 3G notification would come on and it would be sending and receiving when I wasn't even doing anything. With the Background data checked it allows applications to sync, send, and received data at anytime. I turn this off when I am not in a wireless area.

Remember, if you have any weather widgets set to update regularly, this also uses data whether or not you are in a wifi area.

Upvote 0
The problem you are describing seems to be with the address book sync.

You may be the victim of AT&T built-in bloatware apps. The "AT&T Address Book" app automatically runs in the background to sync your contacts with the AT&T Address Book server.

To disable automatic sync go to: Contacts > Menu > More > Settings > AT&T Address Book > Turn "Auto Sync contact with online Address Book" off.. that should fix your problem.

Kenn

Upvote 0
I use juice defender and turn my wifi to always on. I also downloaded the beta of APNdroid and installed a widget to turn off my 3G if needed. I'm at day 12 of my first month and I've only used 6.7 MB, mainly because I am connected to wifi at home and at work.

I mainly use it for e-mail, texting via google voice, yelp, listen to MP3s, check bus schedules, and to read the news. I don't use it to stream videos or music.

Upvote 0
I am on the 200mb plan and have never had any problems staying within the limits.

I have a widget (JuiceDefender) that lets you toggle mobile data on/off with a single tap. It's great. I always have it turned off unless I'm somewhere without wifi. Then, I just tap it and it immediately turns on. No hassle, and saves me from using mobile data.

Here are instructions on setting it up. (May seem complicated at first, but it's worth it.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones