• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data Plan + Google Voice Only?

Ryasaurus

Jan 3, 2010
Hey, does anyone think that it's possible to only get a data plan, and then use Google Voice for calls and texts?

I thought that might be possible..but then I figured there might be some issues.

1. I've read somewhere that Google Voice's app only refreshes it's texting inbox every 5 minutes. That sucks.

2. When calling someone on Google Voice, doesn't it first call your number then call the person you are trying to reach? That would mean I have to buy minutes.

Are there any other problems with using Google Voice + Data Only Plans? Then I'd only have to buy the Nexus One Unlocked and put in my AT&T SIM card, right?

Hey, does anyone think that it's possible to only get a data plan, and then use Google Voice for calls and texts?

I thought that might be possible..but then I figured there might be some issues.

1. I've read somewhere that Google Voice's app only refreshes it's texting inbox every 5 minutes. That sucks.

2. When calling someone on Google Voice, doesn't it first call your number then call the person you are trying to reach? That would mean I have to buy minutes.

Are there any other problems with using Google Voice + Data Only Plans? Then I'd only have to buy the Nexus One Unlocked and put in my AT&T SIM card, right?

Not sure about #1 but positive with #2 I'm calling my friend using google voice now from my Hero and it calls another number first and yes it's listed on my usage as well :)

Upvote 0
There are workarounds using Gizmo or something like that. You could also look in to using Skype (via Fring application).

I forgot I have a Gizmo account..

Oh wait. I just figured it out..there's no real way to avoid it, unless eventually they came out with a Google Voice phone. ):

Edit:

Oh! Fring! I'm going to read some more about that. Thanks!

Edit Again:

After some research, I found a solution for calling: http://goo.gl/ycza Now my only problem is the texting refresh rate.

Upvote 0
...After some research, I found a solution for calling: Free VOIP calls with my Android G1 and wifi, google voice and gizmo5 | HydTech Now my only problem is the texting refresh rate.
I thought you could just tell Google Voice to send you an email... but don't remember...

You can create one for free, so why not do it?

Google bought them and closed down the registration, just like they did when they bought Grand Central
Gizmo5 Has Been Acquired by Google
I'd love an account

Upvote 0
I thought you could just tell Google Voice to send you an email... but don't remember...

But then my e-mail would be pretty full. I guess I could do that until they started push texting.

[/quote]Google bought them and closed down the registration, just like they did when they bought Grand Central
Gizmo5 Has Been Acquired by Google
I'd love an account[/QUOTE]

Well, from the front page it tells you that it'll open up again, and if you put your e-mail in, they'll e-mail you when it does.

Upvote 0
if you don't have a minutes plan, wouldn't you always need to be somewhere there is a wifi connection to make and receive calls? how does that help you if you are on say a car trip from new york to florida?
That's why you get a data plan. WiFI is free, data over 3G you pay for.

For me however I'll stick with standards based SIP accounts. i.e. 'asterisk friendly' systems. Nice if you can bounce around free accounts but the pennies it costs for a normal SIP account is worth it to me. We'll see how VoIP works on the data plans, I have no trouble in Canada but I haven't ventured beyond the fast 3G networks yet. Speed isn't the issue but latency is. For now it works great.

Upvote 0
It's been confirmed that the N1 doesn't require a SIM to get on wifi networks. In theory one could purchase it unlocked and use it for voip and for texting through apps, should one be lucky to be have wifi at home and work (and) or school. Not a permanent solution at all. But it changes the aspect on how many minutes and sms one should buy for use with a sim card.

Upvote 0
Oh wait..if you didn't have a SIM card in, then Gizmo5 wouldn't work because it forwards calls to your number. Hmm.
Most VoIP apps are simply clients for various VoIP services. No minutes or SIM is need - you only need a data connection. For example, this would be your setup:

1. Google Voice Account
2. Gizmo5 Account
3. Sipdroid App (or similar)

You get a phone number with Gizmo5. You enter that number into your Google Voice settings. You then enter your Gizmo5 account information into Sipdroid. When someone calls your Google Voice number, it is forwarded to your Gizmo5 account and then automatically picked up by Sipdroid.

There are better setups, but they are more convoluted. The one above is very basic but it should work and get you running in no time.

Upvote 0
Most VoIP apps are simply clients for various VoIP services. No minutes or SIM is need - you only need a data connection. For example, this would be your setup:

1. Google Voice Account
2. Gizmo5 Account

You get a phone number with Gizmo5. You enter that number into your Google Voice settings. You then enter your Gizmo5 account information into Sipdroid. When someone calls your Google Voice number, it is forwarded to your Gizmo5 account and then automatically picked up by Sipdroid.

There are better setups, but they are more convoluted. The one above is very basic but it should work and get you running in no time.

Is there an alternative to the 2nd link you listed, for those who don't have a Gizmo5?

Upvote 0

1. Google Voice Account
2. Gizmo5 Account

Great, thanks! I'd never heard of Sipdroid. I can't believe tomorrow is the rumored Nexus One release date!

Upvote 0
Is there an alternative to the 2nd link you listed, for those who don't have a Gizmo5?
Sipgate. I actually like it more than Gizmo5.

I have since unchecked my Gizmo5 number as a forwarding phone for my Google Voice account. I now use Sipgate exclusively.

Oh, and when you use Google Voice with Sipate/Gizmo5, Sipsorcery, and a $35 ATA, you can also unlimited free landline calling (I'm actually getting it right now) :)

You can then simply confige a mobile VoIP app to work with your setup which you then give you free calling on your mobile phone.

These links should help you set it up:
HOWTO: Free Calling with Google Voice - Google Voice Help

google-voice-sipsorcery-dialplans - Project Hosting on Google Code

I feel that we are so close to only needing to buy a data plan for your mobile phone. T-Mobile sells data only for $40. That would mean unlimited calling, unlimited internet use, and unlimited text messaging for only $40.

The problem is push notifications. Currently, Google does not push SMS to your phone when someone texts your Google Voice number. Luckily for me, Textnow Unlimited for the iPhone works with Google Voice and provides push notifications for Google Voice SMS. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything like this for Android. And I still haven't found an ideal solution to get a push notification of an incoming call over VoIP.

I hope that with the Nexus One announcement tomorrow, Google also announces:

1. Push SMS for the official Google Voice App
2. Closer integration of Google Voice and Gizmo5

Great, thanks! I'd never heard of Sipdroid. I can't believe tomorrow is the rumored Nexus One release date!
I know...I can't wait either!

Does anyone know if a live video and/or blog feed will be available for the Google event tomorrow?

Upvote 0
so I"m interested in this setup too. Has anyone gotten this to work for sure? Tmobile won't balk at selling just the data plan?
T-Mobile even advertises data only plans on their website:

LINK

So it's $40 for T-Mobile.

I believe AT&T is $35. You just have to tell AT&T you will use it on a blackberry. But nothing will stop you from putting the SIM card in an N1.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones