• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data plan only

What do you mean? So if I buy the mifi device and I pay monthly plan fee there is another fee to pay???? I don't understand

No. User was talking about having a phone and using mobile hotspot in an unauthorized way. Buying a mi fi device is only cost of device (possible to get it free) and ONE monthly fee.

What I meant to say earlier was that takes CARE of both your questions. Didn't mean to say anything about cases.... lol

Upvote 0
No. User was talking about having a phone and using mobile hotspot in an unauthorized way. Buying a mi fi device is only cost of device (possible to get it free) and ONE monthly fee.

What I meant to say earlier was that takes CARE of both your questions. Didn't mean to say anything about cases.... lol
I was not talking about having a phone and using mobile hotspot in unauthorized way. As a matter of fact I didn't say anything about mobile hotspot. Where did you get that from?

Also, you did say that would take care of both of my cases (I did understand that you didn't mean cases to carry my phone in but both questions). I only had one question which became two because someone (you, I think) merged my two threads which were unrelated. Let me repeat I DO NOT WANT TO USE A TABLET AS I DON'T HAVE ONE. I just want to get online with my smartphone and I do not need a voice plan. Question was does any service provider offer that? No one directly said no but instead you said to get a mifi device, which would work for me in this case as I could just buy a data plan and connect to it with my smartphone and the data plan (tmobile) is cheaper than getting voice and data so I am not sure what was meant by that it is expensive and I can't use is in unauthorized way. It's less expensive and if I pay for it every month how is that unauthorized?

Upvote 0
People have answered you... but in a round about way.

But you want to be spoon fed... so.... Here you go...

No. You can not get a data only plan on smartphones in usa... unless you are deaf.

Only solution is to get a hotspot device.
Dude, I know people already responded and I already said that mifi is exactly what I want. I only asked for the clarification about what was illegal about this as one of the posters said that I am trying to do something illegally, and what extra fees he was talking about. THAT'S ALL. And I am now all set, just so you know.

Upvote 0
cool.. good to know.. and glad you got the info you were seeking.

the illegal issue.. that someone implied .. it think... has to do with tethering.

you can root/hack a smartphone's data services..
then tether that data service out via the phone's built in wifi radio...
and other wifi equipped devices can pick it up for instant internet access..
most carriers charge for the right to tethering (hotspot).
but with root/hack you get it for free tethering!!!! but you have to have a smartphone data/voice plan.

Upvote 0
I was not talking about having a phone and using mobile hotspot in unauthorized way. As a matter of fact I didn't say anything about mobile hotspot. Where did you get that from?

Also, you did say that would take care of both of my cases (I did understand that you didn't mean cases to carry my phone in but both questions). I only had one question which became two because someone (you, I think) merged my two threads which were unrelated. Let me repeat I DO NOT WANT TO USE A TABLET AS I DON'T HAVE ONE. I just want to get online with my smartphone and I do not need a voice plan. Question was does any service provider offer that? No one directly said no but instead you said to get a mifi device, which would work for me in this case as I could just buy a data plan and connect to it with my smartphone and the data plan (tmobile) is cheaper than getting voice and data so I am not sure what was meant by that it is expensive and I can't use is in unauthorized way. It's less expensive and if I pay for it every month how is that unauthorized?

I am referring to this post by someone else:
Mobile Hotspot feature on your device costs extra fee. It is not cheap. AT&T is cracking down on people who are using this feature without paying extra. So be careful.
THEY are talking about using tethering without paying for it, with a phone that ALREADY has a plan on it. They had no idea what was actually being discussed in this thread and the post has nothing to do with you. I was merely pointing that out to you, sorry i didn't quote the post initially as i was on the phandroid app and unable to quote more than one post at a time.
And yes i merged your 2 threads as they are essentially discussing the same topic as they have the same answer.
A mifi device is a wifi hotspot that you can take anywhere and connect ANY device to it. It is also the only option that i know of other than calling Tmobile or whoever and asking if you can get data only on a phone.

You can, of course, connect a phone with no service to ANY wifi hotspot (your houses, mcdonalds, starbucks, etc...) and use data

Upvote 0
I am referring to this post by someone else:
THEY are talking about using tethering without paying for it, with a phone that ALREADY has a plan on it. They had no idea what was actually being discussed in this thread and the post has nothing to do with you. I was merely pointing that out to you, sorry i didn't quote the post initially as i was on the phandroid app and unable to quote more than one post at a time.
And yes i merged your 2 threads as they are essentially discussing the same topic as they have the same answer.
A mifi device is a wifi hotspot that you can take anywhere and connect ANY device to it. It is also the only option that i know of other than calling Tmobile or whoever and asking if you can get data only on a phone.

You can, of course, connect a phone with no service to ANY wifi hotspot (your houses, mcdonalds, starbucks, etc...) and use data
Thanks for clarifying about illegal usage. I know I can connect to any wifi. The merging of the topics made things confusing. The question about the tablet had a totally different answer. The answer to that was that the service provider knows by the serial number whether it is a smartphone or a tablet. I never asked how to get data plan on a tablet. So totally different questions and totally different answers.
And yes, I already asked Tmobile about data plan only and they don't provide it so that's why I came here to ask if anyone knew about any provider that offered data plan only as I thought it would have been easier than just calling every single provider out there (and I probably don't even know all of them).

Upvote 0
not sure why you are looking for this info... i am guessing to save $$.. cheaper plan.. since you dont want voice.

you have tmobile... i am guessing the mifi device plan is $40-60. with a data limit at 5gb or something like that.

not sure of your area. most big metro areas have a small prepaid service provider.. like virgin mobile. $30 full smartphone plan with no contract.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones