• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data Plan Question

I'm buying an Eris (yay!) and need a data plan. What on earth is the difference between the "email and web for smartphone" versus "unlimited data usage" (besides $20/month).

I thought the Eris was like a iPhone in that it connects to a 3g network - so why the charges?

Any smartphone on Verizon's network must have a data plan now. The consumer version is the "email and web for smartphone" option for $29.99. The business version is the "unlimited data usage" option for $44.99. The second one allows you to connect to an Exchange server or BES.

Upvote 0
How much is unlimited data and messaging as extra?

depends on what plan. also depnends if you need a small package or unlimited

$5=250 text
$10=500 text unlimited to vzw
$15=1500 text unlimited to vzw
$20=5000 text unlimited to vzw

or just go unlimited for $20 on single lines or $30 for family plan
and you can get the unlimited data/txt as a package on single lines i believe yu save bout $5 to $10 when you do that

Upvote 0
I'm a current VZW Storm user, thinking about switching to the Eris or waiting for the Passion. Regarding the data plan, is the "email and web for smartphone" option like BIS in Blackberry speak, while "unlimited data usage" option like BES? Something doesn't seem to quite match up like that, since with the $29.99 Blackberry plan (BIS), data usage is still unlimited. The only thing the extra $15 gets you is the ability to directly connect to an Exchange server. Even with the $29.99 plan, you can 'push' email from an Exchange server. Is this also true with the Eris plans?

Any smartphone on Verizon's network must have a data plan now. The consumer version is the "email and web for smartphone" option for $29.99. The business version is the "unlimited data usage" option for $44.99. The second one allows you to connect to an Exchange server or BES.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones