• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data priority: wifi vs wireless?

dlandry

Lurker
Sep 2, 2011
Hi folks, a brand new Android user here, just got my Nexus S with Mobilicity "Back to School" deal - $25 for unlimited local calls, text, and data ... and I didn't even have to go back to school ;-)

Since I have unlimited data (actually 5GB limit and throttled if I go over) this is probably not too important, but does anyone know what takes priority when I have both a wireless data plan, and a connected wifi?

I've seen a couple of posts in this forum that sort of suggest it is a working wifi connection that will handle the data, and wireless will only kick in when necessary, but I'd like to confirm that on the Nexus S, as the posts I saw were for different phones.

Looks good so far. Cheers

Hi folks, a brand new Android user here, just got my Nexus S with Mobilicity "Back to School" deal - $25 for unlimited local calls, text, and data ... and I didn't even have to go back to school ;-)

Since I have unlimited data (actually 5GB limit and throttled if I go over) this is probably not too important, but does anyone know what takes priority when I have both a wireless data plan, and a connected wifi?

I've seen a couple of posts in this forum that sort of suggest it is a working wifi connection that will handle the data, and wireless will only kick in when necessary, but I'd like to confirm that on the Nexus S, as the posts I saw were for different phones.

Looks good so far. Cheers

Welcome to AF! Hope your enjoying your NS.

If you are connected to Wifi it will always take priority over a data connection, unless it can't connect to the network. So you were correct. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones