1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Data Recovery Galaxy S6

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Alex Ethridge, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Android Enthusiast

I may have deleted an important file I had saved on my Galaxy S6. Can someone recommend a free or low-cost program data recovery program THAT THEY HAVE ACTUALLY USED THEMSELVES that I can use to recover.

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

good luck most of us here have not used any of the services that you see when you google your issue. to me most of them are scams, but if you do find one, please post your experience with it here to help others.

what file was this? where was it saved at? how did you delete it?

MrJavi and Dannydet like this.
  3. Alex Ethridge

It's an MP3 stored in "internal storage". I use an app named MyPhoneExplorer that displays the content of "internal storage" on a Windows desktop computer. Right clicked and selected delete.

"Internal storage" does not show up on the desktop computer as a drive letter. Does anyone know of an app that will? If I could get it to do that, recovery would be simplified.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Internal storage would just be the root of your /sdcard folder and is mapped to a drive letter when mounted as storage on a PC. So, if you plug in your phone and drive H: pops up, that is your internal storage. However, that won't help you recover your file. The file system partitions in Android were virtualized after Android 4.4 and therefore do not have a permanent MBR for the recovery apps to find file fragments and restore them. Traditional file recovery simply isn't going to work in a virtualized environment.

Good luck with trying to recover your file, but I suspect it's a losing proposition. :(

MrJavi likes this.
  5. Alex Ethridge

Thanks but the S5 and S6 do not accept removable storage.

6. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

#6 MrJavi, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

MTP mode -- Media Transfer Protocol -- replaced storage mode when things went virtual specifically because of the file system constraints of a virtual environment.