1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Data Reset

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rpdrizzy, Aug 9, 2013.

1. rpdrizzy

rpdrizzy Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 19, 2012
    Male
    Student
    New Jersey
    Alright so I after doing adb reboot recovery and upon a restart back to system it seems the device resets and erases all data and defaults back. System apps remain and any removed system app stays removed. Data also doesnt activate so you must reset programming and then go to Settings and select Activate this Device. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this.
    P.s. I am using GameTheory's kernel.

Advertisement

2. GameTheory

GameTheory Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2012
    Male
    ???
    I believe adb reboot recovery is for phones with unlocked bootloaders. The F7's bootloader is still locked. Loki does not unlock it.

3. rpdrizzy

None

Feb 19, 2012
    Male
    Student
    New Jersey
    Never knew that, hmmm thanks,

4. GameTheory

None

Jul 23, 2012
    Male
    ???
    No problem, but.....

I have an even better answer for you that I just remembered and I'm 100% sure of.

When using the 2nd init recovery adb reboot recovery does a factory reset of the phone. This is because 2nd init does not take over the recovery partition on the phone, the stock recovery still remains in that partition.

So adb reboot recovery is accessing the stock recovery which automatically does a reset since that's all it can do.

5. rpdrizzy

None

Feb 19, 2012
    Male
    Student
    New Jersey
    Would that remain true even if i flashed my Alpha CWM because it will still reset even when i have CWM installed. However i havent just tried manually rebooting to recovery (vol - and power) only using adb.

6. GameTheory

None

Jul 23, 2012
    Male
    ???
    At the moment official CWM recovery resets data for a few LG phones. That's why I haven't made a recovery for you guys yet.

You can try if you want with your alpha. Once you flash your alpha, use this app below to boot into recovery. It's what I use to boot into the CWM recovery I made for the LG Spirit.

Quick Boot

If you try it, let me know how it goes.

7. rpdrizzy

None

Feb 19, 2012
    Male
    Student
    New Jersey
    @GameTheory nope it still results in a data wipe. But it does reboot to recovery.

8. GameTheory

None

Jul 23, 2012
    Male
    ???
    I figured that would happen. It seems some of these LG phones will never get official cwm recovery working.

I still recommend leaving your alpha installed in case you ever brick, you wont have to unbrick your phone. You can simply pull the battery then put it back in and use button combo to get into recovery and restore a backup instead of unbricking.

You can still use 2nd init normally. As long as you don't boot into your alpha recovery, your data shouldn't get wiped.

9. rpdrizzy

None

Feb 19, 2012
    Male
    Student
    New Jersey
    Thats another issue. 2nd Init only worked on stock. It wont work with my alpha or your kernel installed. It reboots stays black then continues to boot.

10. GameTheory

None

Jul 23, 2012
    Male
    ???
    That's happening cuz the that 2nd init was made for another phone. You guys got lucky it even works as much as it does.

Have you tried another 2nd init from another phone? Sometimes it's good to try more than one to see which works better.

For example, the LG Lucid 2 is using the one that was made for the LG Spirit before I made a recovery for it. That one seems to be compatible with more phones.

rpdrizzy likes this.
  11. rpdrizzy

None

Feb 19, 2012
    Male
    Student
    New Jersey
    Well I just tried three different recoverys. The only one that was the closest was the one for the LG Lucid 2 by the PlayfulGod but that resulted in my device boot looping in the Lte2 recovery and constantly blinking {the LCD) . I'll unbrick tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

GameTheory likes this.
  12. GameTheory

None

Jul 23, 2012
    Male
    ???
    No problem, thanks for trying. ;)

13. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Male
    Web Design and Hosting/PC Repair
    NW Georgia
    not the case at all, adb reboot recovery is for any device. Issue prolly is the L7 prolly suffers from the same issue as the F3 & Motion, that being regardless of being locked/unlocked/recovery it wipes data when rebooted to recovery by any means. With the button combo you get the LG Reset screen and the option to confirm or cancel tho. ;)

And not only does it wipe data, it corrupts it. This I have been working around by having data formatted when booted to CWM so dat and internal sd can be mounted. ;)