1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Data Restoration from Certain date, place, and time issues!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kkby13, Apr 1, 2011.

1. kkby13

kkby13 Lurker
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Freelance Photographer, Computer Imaging, etc. tho
    From NY, relocated to IL - Hate it
    This is truely stumping me. Hoping for help. Hoping I can relate the problem in a non-confusing way.
    Since I have owned my phone I have had major lag issues, right down to a cursor which has to eventually catche up to my typing (this has changed, will explain further in) to basic dial up internet capabilities! Yes, that slow. Writing this IS going to piss me off.

I've gone through three phone replacements and a card replacement. There were "quirky" issues in the beginning now resolved, but the lag continues.

So I've checked, battery, battery usage, went from task killer to manual task killing, to unloading pictures as often as possible, because quite simply, that is the only thing helping/creating a response, to constantly using "Factory Data Reset."

I have never been able to keep several aps like my husband, who bought the same phone (Motorola Android), at same time. He had 70 last I counted with streaming internet, I have maybe a meek 20, including those preloaded, and yet here I am. Clearly there is something I'm bogging the phone up with. My only guess is pictures. While most wouldn't believe that, I have to so far since I am a photographer by profession, and take A LOT of pictures. I like to capture everything in my world.
    That said, I do regularly remove them since there is no way to transfer them to my card, or have them go straight to my card with this model. I checked into that by calling tech., but they too have misdirected me on occassion.

So here is where my major curiosity arrives and would mainly like answers to.
    I started doing Hard Resets (HR) (not to be confused with Factory Data Resets (FDR)). Basically going in and reformatting the phone.

Out of the 5 options, I have only applied, "Wipe Dat/Factory Reset," & "Apply SD Card Update Zip," along with the obvious, "Reboot System Now." After doing so information I don't want reloaded, is loading onto my phone.
    I am not sure if one place is the culprit or several.
    I'm looking at onboard memory, Sd Card, and the Google Network for answers. I have applied several to tests to locate just where the data is coming from, but grown more confused.
    To make matters worse, the data applied is from a certain date during my ownership of the phone. Long after owning it and long before now. I will see bookmarks I saved long after previous one's were saved and deleted, and long before todays date. There are also applications loaded long after purchase, after others were applied/delted, and long before any from todays date and time. It even registers deleted ones if I look at my phone on the computer (it's not the preloaded aps either). It also saves phone #s, an old and long deleted wallpaper, calender settings, map settings, etc.
    Ihave gone into, "privacy" on the phone and cancelled bother restore options prior to any formatting. I have tried not calling the number during set up for any data connection to be made. I have swiped the SD Card clean. I have HR the phone without the SD Card in it!
    Yet if I look online, I cannot find one iota of these previously saved web page bookmarks for instance in my account. I find phone #'s fine, map starred bookmarks fine, but not the applications or web pages long ago deleted from my phone, but both reloading every time!!!! REALLY?! Oh and the damn walpaper.

Why this certain date and time in the middle of my ownership? It's as though it took a "time stamp" and applies it each time I reset/reformat the phone in any fashion. What did I do differently during this date? Where can I physically find, see, and look over this info?
    Anyone?
    I'm hearing crickets after that banter aren't I?

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Hello kkby13, and welcome to the forums.

I was wondering how many people have access to your device? That was the first thing that came to mind, along with what syncing configurations you have in the various syncing apps and widgets on the device (Facebook, Twitter, Gmail/contacts/calendar, etc).

All that wiping you've been doing will have no effect on data coming back into your device once your Google/Gmail account is set up; it's supposed to be there for you. ;)

Lag is an issue on devices which have a lot of background updating and syncing apps/widgets installed. Weather, Facebook, Gmail, etc, all trying to get data for you and often at the same instant can cause a lot of resource drain. Personally, I do manual syncing at will rather than have things going on in the background that I can otherwise have control over. Ymmv. ;)

Side note: there are 29 different "Motorola Android" models at the moment, so to zero in on your issue accurately without knowing which one you have will be slightly more challenging than if we did know. Plus we will be unable to move your post to the proper device Support sub-forum for you (Droid? Droid 2? X? Cliq? ... etc). ;)

But we can give it a bit of a try here because most of what you are saying does not sound device specific.

3. kkby13

kkby13 Lurker
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Freelance Photographer, Computer Imaging, etc. tho
    From NY, relocated to IL - Hate it
    Hey, thx for the reply. :)
    From what I've read and have been told, it is simply called the motorala droid. I thought I wrote it in there :( ah well... anyways-Not the htc, not droid 2, evo, etc. Just plain moto droid, the one everyone confuses w/ others. Like Kleenex is a name brand and doesn't stand for tissue is how I took the whole thing.
    I am the only one using the phone.
    I realize that the backup from google is there for us, but the really odd thing is that it's taking a snapshot in time. Almost like a time stamp from a certain time LONG after I got the phone, and LONG before now. It's literally giving me a time stamp from November 2010!?
    It will also reload many things without my syncing to anything, reconnecting w/ the data reconnect phone call, etc.
    I tried swiping the card while reformatting as well.
    I know that all the reformitting I'm doing won't get rid of ALL the reloaded info from google/verizon preloads or from our google accounts when connected (obviously, lol), but what I was using it for was to help me locate where "some" things were coming from.
    For instance the card, truely isn't swiped, so that needs to be addressed, and onboard memory I'm curious on. I reformatted once w/out anything selected in my privacy settings prior to, did not data reconnect or sync a thing, left the SD Card out, and STILL, some info (not the preloaded crap that comes w/ the phone) was there yet again, from Nov 2010. Why then? Wth did I do dif then? And some of it was odd things like "deleted" angry birds ap info, old applications I removed long ago are reloaded, AND it deosn't load any new aps (there have been many since these aps, added and removed). So at least reformatting in diffferent manners/formulations has answered some things, sort of, by way of loacation.
    As far as the web book marks the same "time stamp" holds true. All long ago deleted bookmarks from Nov appear, but any new one's after that, that have been deleted don't show, and any new after those don't appear or load up when reconnected to google, AND they do not show in my google account anywhere, nor do the Nov 2010 it's loading??? Just starred map locations. If I save a present bookmark they don't appear, and yet THE WHOLE TIME I've had the phone, I've selected not to back up data online. And even if I did by accident once, let's say for kicks, then why can't I find that info online in my account?
    Grrrr
    I have facebook I'm synced to and gmail...could they lag it so much that typing literally haults to freezing the phone? I will take your advice on manual sync tho, and anything else! Uhg...
    Nothing else like phone numbers and such are synched.
    Just really trying to understand more than just the average stufff. Hate not having control over the damn thing or having to trust verizon geeks, and visit them. Cuz I just won't, too lazy, rather learn myself, lol!
    Thx so much, and thx for the welcome.
    Sorry if things are "off" too. Like my response time/typing, both our PC's were zapped and I' confined to mobile presently...omg!! ;)
    Thx for reading and ur time. :)

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Well, now we've got your thread in the Motorola Droid Support and Troubleshooting sub-forum. ;)

Your Droid should not be exhibiting lag, and there are a lot of possible causes. We touched on the syncing and background updating (if too many widgets are attempting to sync/update simultaneously, etc), but now I wonder about other things, how much work your device is doing that it should not have to do, for example.

If the caches are loaded up, resources can suffer just in normal use. I use a simple app called, cleverly ;) "cache cleaner." All it does is report (on demand) which apps need caches cleaned.

Otherwise, just go into menu > settings > applications > manage applications > menu > sort by size, then start clicking apps and clearing caches. If you don't mind doing some reconfiguring of things, it is also a good measure to clear data in those apps as well. Again, clearing data in an app necessitates redoing settings along with first backing up any data you want to retain.

It is also possible that an app or widget is not playing nice with the system. The best way to smoke that out is by backing up then uninstalling all third party apps, rebooting, then re-install one at a time and testing for improvement.

Some users recommend rooting their device to have a better hand in speeding things up via access to areas that are not reachable to stock users. I don't recommend that (I'm not against it, I just don't recommend it ;)).