• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data Retrieval

dabrandster

Lurker
Mar 25, 2017
Hey everyone, so today was pretty bad a lot of awful things and to top it off I've had my phone smashed to hell, I've got a none existent budget when it comes to getting my phone repaired, any shop I take it to are looking in excess of £70-£90 to get my screen fixed, despite a screen replacement part only costing £20?
Anyway my main problem is that I refuse to pay the same price for my screen as the value of the phone, I've had it 2 and a half years and it was the best purchase I've ever made.

I'm coming to the forum today to ask if anyone knows how I can retrieve my data? I obviously can't use the screen and all the options for viable recovery are: get it fixed, enable this option on your phone, or download 'whatever' software here for $60

I'm beyond annoyed that I can't just connect my device and transfer files over, but then when is life ever that easy?
Any tech wizards here know of any free software, or viable means to transfer my data over?

Sorry for the vague details, the basic low down is that I don't have money, and I don't want to lose all my family photo's and memories. Yes, in hindsight I should've backed it up but I'm at a dead end with options right now and I need someone else's perspective.

Thanks for anyone taking the time to read this, I appreciate it :)

Hey everyone, so today was pretty bad a lot of awful things and to top it off I've had my phone smashed to hell, I've got a none existent budget when it comes to getting my phone repaired, any shop I take it to are looking in excess of £70-£90 to get my screen fixed, despite a screen replacement part only costing £20?
Anyway my main problem is that I refuse to pay the same price for my screen as the value of the phone, I've had it 2 and a half years and it was the best purchase I've ever made.

Frankly for a flagship Sony Xperia I'm surprised how little that is in the UK actually. I know for some Samsungs, replacing the screen module can easily be around £150-200.

I'm coming to the forum today to ask if anyone knows how I can retrieve my data? I obviously can't use the screen and all the options for viable recovery are: get it fixed, enable this option on your phone, or download 'whatever' software here for $60

I'm beyond annoyed that I can't just connect my device and transfer files over, but then when is life ever that easy?

Any tech wizards here know of any free software, or viable means to transfer my data over?

I'm sure the FBI, CIA, NSA, GCHQ, MI5, etc. would love for smart-phones to do that, for evidence gathering etc. However if a device is locked, possibly encrypted as well, its data is not readily accessible just by plugging it into a computer.

Sorry for the vague details, the basic low down is that I don't have money, and I don't want to lose all my family photo's and memories. Yes, in hindsight I should've backed it up but I'm at a dead end with options right now and I need someone else's perspective.

Thanks for anyone taking the time to read this, I appreciate it :)

If you got no backup you're aware of, like Google, etc, and the thing is smashed and inoperable, then repairs, or even forensic level data recovery might be your only options, that's it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Frankly for a flagship Sony Xperia I'm surprised how little that is in the UK actually. I know for some Samsungs, replacing the screen module can easily be around £150-200.

I'm sure the FBI, CIA, NSA, GCHQ, MI5, etc. would love for smart-phones to do that, for evidence gathering etc. However if a device is locked, possibly encrypted as well, its data is not readily accessible just by plugging it into a computer.

If you got no backup you're aware of, like Google, etc, and the thing is smashed and inoperable, then repairs, or even forensic level data recovery might be your only options, that's it.

I'm just going to have to save up to replace the screen and outer casing, the data itself is in tact to my knowledge, just annoyed the data isn't readily accessible through any means :/
Thanks for getting back to me though :)

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I'm just going to have to save up to replace the screen and outer casing, the data itself is in tact to my knowledge, just annoyed the data isn't readily accessible through any means :/
Thanks for getting back to me though :)

Yeh, it annoys government agencies as well, like FBI and CIA. :thumbsupdroid:

Replacing the screen, other parts that are needed, should restore it to a working state, enough to be able to retrieve your data, provided the main logic-board is still working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones